MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
striker
Zip Tie Guy
 
striker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 424

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000









question about warmers

are these tire warmers any good?


warmers
__________________


Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire warmers Racerxxx Taking it to the Track 20 01-26-2013 10:30 PM
Tire warmers question htownballa Taking it to the Track 19 02-26-2010 08:47 AM
PD Warmers wiayeman Taking it to the Track 4 11-21-2009 11:06 PM
bt003rs......warmers??? flip326 Taking it to the Track 22 09-14-2009 03:56 PM
Tire Warmers GIXXERKELLY Taking it to the Track 10 03-09-2009 08:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Hey Striker, my warmers have the exact same control box so I suspect they are very similar warmers. Mine do not have the branding on the warmers, i.e DMP. Walking around the pits and comparing the amount of heat generated by the warmers by feeling the wheels, I think my warmers are down on power compared to the chicken hawks and the high end woodcraft warmers. However, they've worked well this season with no issues with quality or malfunctions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Hey Lee, I found the warmers on IndySuperBike for $359.00.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...oductid=120488
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!
 
0oAndyo0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: @ the track
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,093

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!






On a controller type of tire warmer you kinda have to becareful not to over cook the tire. I just would stick with the woodcrafts one that cover the wheels or the chicken hawks or suzuka's & dmp single temps.
__________________
CCS - 483
CMRA - 483
0oAndyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,606

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Motorcycles Unlimited has pretty good deals goin on suzukas. Adam and I picked up a set there.

I love em, but have nothing to compare them to.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction
 
Hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The funky ghetto
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 6,698

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom






Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Motorcycles Unlimited has pretty good deals goin on suzukas. Adam and I picked up a set there.

I love em, but have nothing to compare them to.
yuup

Call Patrick and talk to him about Suzukas or ChickenHawk
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






These "warmers", what do they do, exactly? Do you put them on your tires and ride around when it's cold outside like mittens?
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!
 
0oAndyo0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: @ the track
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,093

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!






Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
These "warmers", what do they do, exactly? Do you put them on your tires and ride around when it's cold outside like mittens?
Why are tire warmers an advantage?

Great Starts - A tire that is up to temperature has more traction. This is helpful in getting good starts and making a charge in the beginning of the event.

Helps Avoid Cold-Tire Incidents - We all know when the track goes green every racer gives his best. Cold tires incidents and off-track excursions are more common among those without tire warmers. Getting the entire tire carcass up to temperature helps tire be flexible and pliable and gives more grip.

Improves Tire Life - Heat Cycles: Keeping your tires "warm" (125-135 F) between practice sessions saves Heat Cycles (the # of times a tire gets hot and then cools) which age your tires (the tire goes "off" meaning the best grip is gone). Cold Cutting or Cold-Tearing: High-horsepower or heavier vehicles can tend to cold-tear tires when used aggressively when the tire is cold. These "cuts" or "graining" affect Tire Performance and Life. Heating the Tire up slowly with a Tire Warmer doesn't spend or use the active chemicals the engineers put in the tire to give it grip by "shock heating" out on the track.

Tune your Tires - Different tire brands and different compounds work best at their specified temperature; with a temperature adjustable warmer you can heat your tires exactly as much as the tire engineers specify.
Set your Hot Tire Pressure - Most of today's race tires are very sensitive to operating within a couple pounds of a desired Hot Tire Pressure. Using a Tire Warmer to bring the entire carcass up to operating temperature allows you have the Hot Pressure set before turn one and ensures it is stable and will not change out on the track.

Sizing your Tires - Those involved in Circle Track racing know the importance of having your stagger set; using a Tire Warmer to heat the tire, bringing to full Hot Pressure allows the tire to be sized well before the race. Some racers will use the warmer to manipulate the tire to create the stagger they desire.
__________________
CCS - 483
CMRA - 483
0oAndyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






^

Works every time...
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
OMEGA
good eenin *****es
 
OMEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: se houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 7,971

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post
Why are tire warmers an advantage?

Great Starts - A tire that is up to temperature has more traction. This is helpful in getting good starts and making a charge in the beginning of the event.

Helps Avoid Cold-Tire Incidents - We all know when the track goes green every racer gives his best. Cold tires incidents and off-track excursions are more common among those without tire warmers. Getting the entire tire carcass up to temperature helps tire be flexible and pliable and gives more grip.

Improves Tire Life - Heat Cycles: Keeping your tires "warm" (125-135 F) between practice sessions saves Heat Cycles (the # of times a tire gets hot and then cools) which age your tires (the tire goes "off" meaning the best grip is gone). Cold Cutting or Cold-Tearing: High-horsepower or heavier vehicles can tend to cold-tear tires when used aggressively when the tire is cold. These "cuts" or "graining" affect Tire Performance and Life. Heating the Tire up slowly with a Tire Warmer doesn't spend or use the active chemicals the engineers put in the tire to give it grip by "shock heating" out on the track.

Tune your Tires - Different tire brands and different compounds work best at their specified temperature; with a temperature adjustable warmer you can heat your tires exactly as much as the tire engineers specify.
Set your Hot Tire Pressure - Most of today's race tires are very sensitive to operating within a couple pounds of a desired Hot Tire Pressure. Using a Tire Warmer to bring the entire carcass up to operating temperature allows you have the Hot Pressure set before turn one and ensures it is stable and will not change out on the track.

Sizing your Tires - Those involved in Circle Track racing know the importance of having your stagger set; using a Tire Warmer to heat the tire, bringing to full Hot Pressure allows the tire to be sized well before the race. Some racers will use the warmer to manipulate the tire to create the stagger they desire.
thanks for that
__________________
GU flag
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENTS!
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,805

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
^

Works every time...
You so bad...
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!
 
0oAndyo0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: @ the track
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,093

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!






no problem, if you dont fully understand it I would call John or Patrick and talk to them. They can go put it terms that will get your noodle in gear.
__________________
CCS - 483
CMRA - 483
0oAndyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor
 
SCRC John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,747

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post
no problem, if you dont fully understand it I would call John or Patrick and talk to them. They can go put it terms that will get your noodle in gear.

Linz knows what he is doing, he doesn't need me trying to explain things to him
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
striker
Zip Tie Guy
 
striker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 424

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Hey Striker, my warmers have the exact same control box so I suspect they are very similar warmers. Mine do not have the branding on the warmers, i.e DMP. Walking around the pits and comparing the amount of heat generated by the warmers by feeling the wheels, I think my warmers are down on power compared to the chicken hawks and the high end woodcraft warmers. However, they've worked well this season with no issues with quality or malfunctions.

thats what i thought after seeing yours at MSRH


So the question still remains. does anybody know anything about this brand from personal experience?
__________________


Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
why are you wanting to get those? is it because you want to save a few bucks? if it is, you should really be looking into getting a set of chickenhawks. yes, the initial buy is more, but they will outlast by double of the lower brand warmers.

the chickenhawks i'm using have been used for almost 4 years now. works perfectly fine and has held up nicely. just always remember to unplug them when you take them off your tires....dont' just flip a switch on your surge protector, because if someone accidently walks by and steps on that switch....your warmers could be toast within minutes.
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Chicken Hawk Pole Postion 3 temp tire warmers used 4 weekends and like new. $250.00

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=194235
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy