MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
epofhouston

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Fz6

I went down this morning....

So I just got into riding. Took a MSF class in September. bought a ninja 250 last month and have been riding around town with extreme caution. I was getting comfortable on the bike so I started riding my bike to work. I live in the Heights and work in Pasadena. The commute is about 25 min and the traffic is not bad once I pass downtown.

This morning I was going to work so I took 11th to the post office on Yale to drop off the mail on my way to work. It was a beautiful morning, I was on 11th st heading east and I just went past Sherpherd. Since I stopped at the red light, I was just accelerating, maybe in 3rd going about 30 MPH when a black BMW X5 cut in front of me from the left lane. I slammed on the brake, skid, and went down. The BMW didn't even stopped. A nice lady behind me stopped and helped. In addition, there a was electric crew working nearby so they alsp helped. They stopped me from getting up and called an ambulance. I had helmet, jacket, gloves so it turned out not too bad. I didn't have jean on, only khaki pant so my right leg was torn up. The bike right side fairing is messed up and all of the oil leaked out of it. I saw some coolant on the ground too. Not sure how much damage the bike suffered.

I was lucky to walk away from this but I second guess myself on what I did, and what I should have done. I think I was in the guy blind spot but it was right after the light and everybody was speeding up. The driver made a sudden lane change so I didn't have that much time to react. I really couldn't bail right because there was curve there and certainly couldn't go left. I just don't know.

I'm debating whether I should file a claim on my ins on the bike on not. My deductible is $500 so I don't want to file a small claim and then have my rate going up. But then again, it might be a lot to fix it up.

Anyhow, here are some pics.
My Jacket
3005741517 583a9ab850
My Helmet
3005743651 acafc84d01

My Leg
3005742585 07bf895f49
epofhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone off tomorrow morning? Feel like riding in the morning sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 8 02-23-2011 02:10 AM
What a Morning C.Hern5972 Off Topic 38 11-28-2009 04:32 AM
So what you all doing this morning humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 09-20-2009 08:54 PM
went down this morning Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 04-21-2007 09:51 AM
Went down this morning :-( 1FastMF General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 11-21-2006 11:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

di you have boots on????? need some bro id not... hope you recover fast

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Glad you're okay and made it out relatively unscathed I wouldn't file on your insurance b/c from what you described it's just cosmetic & they will most likely total it being a Ninjette.
I would say you were in the blind spot if you were cut off....if you weren't in the blind spot you wouldn't have been so startled when he/she got over. That said, with the say so many people drive in Houston they put you in their blind spot more times than you will do it yourself so be aware. Sounds like you could stand to practice some emergency braking, but I'm sure you're already aware of that. Hopefully it will make you more aware and much more vigilant in making sure you stay out of that blind spot and have an escape route in mind.
Hope you get back on 2 real soon!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

That bobo on your ankle bone is probably what is gonna git you hurtin the most. Glad it wasn't worse, how is the bike? Ebay has great deals on plastics.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

my guess is you over-reacted, and slammed on teh brakes . vs easing on the brakes. once locked up what should you have done?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Trini

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja ZX6R
Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
+1, you really need to get some. Glad you are ok though
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I saw you sitting on the sidewalk while the medics rolled up the gurney. Did they cut your pants open or did you rip 'em in the crash?

I didn't see any damage to your bike and I honestly couldn't tell if the rdier (you) was even involved in the crash or if you had just stopped to help - then I saw the rash on your knee and figured you'd been down.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Helena
TEAM BLT *****ES!

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
600RR

X5 probably didnt even see you Im glad to hear you're ok. Get some triple antibiotic cream and it'll heal up fine.. i would know
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by epofhouston View Post
So I just got into riding. Took a MSF class in September. bought a ninja 250 last month and have been riding around town with extreme caution. I was getting comfortable on the bike so I started riding my bike to work. I live in the Heights and work in Pasadena. The commute is about 25 min and the traffic is not bad once I pass downtown.

This morning I was going to work so I took 11th to the post office on Yale to drop off the mail on my way to work. It was a beautiful morning, I was on 11th st heading east and I just went past Sherpherd. Since I stopped at the red light, I was just accelerating, maybe in 3rd going about 30 MPH when a black BMW X5 cut in front of me from the left lane. I slammed on the brake, skid, and went down. The BMW didn't even stopped. A nice lady behind me stopped and helped. In addition, there a was electric crew working nearby so they alsp helped. They stopped me from getting up and called an ambulance. I had helmet, jacket, gloves so it turned out not too bad. I didn't have jean on, only khaki pant so my right leg was torn up. The bike right side fairing is messed up and all of the oil leaked out of it. I saw some coolant on the ground too. Not sure how much damage the bike suffered.

I was lucky to walk away from this but I second guess myself on what I did, and what I should have done. I think I was in the guy blind spot but it was right after the light and everybody was speeding up. The driver made a sudden lane change so I didn't have that much time to react. I really couldn't bail right because there was curve there and certainly couldn't go left. I just don't know.

I'm debating whether I should file a claim on my ins on the bike on not. My deductible is $500 so I don't want to file a small claim and then have my rate going up. But then again, it might be a lot to fix it up.

Anyhow, here are some pics.
My Jacket
3005741517 583a9ab850
My Helmet
3005743651 acafc84d01

My Leg
3005742585 07bf895f49

its all about paying your dues .. dont stop riding for nothing
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
epofhouston

Bike(s):
06 Fz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I saw you sitting on the sidewalk while the medics rolled up the gurney. Did they cut your pants open or did you rip 'em in the crash?
They cut the pants because they thought my leg was broken. They almost took me to the hospital but I refused. I wanted to get up but the people on the scene kept me down. Probably a good thing just in case I broke some thing.

Yeah I need to practice on emergency braking for sure. Not sure when though. with a bumped leg and a messed up bike. This really bites, a couple of my buddy was gonna do forest ride next Friday but I guess I'm out.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
epofhouston

Bike(s):
06 Fz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
No I didn't have boots on? Just a steel toe shoe for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Nana View Post
how is the bike?
The fairing is tore up. Broken front pegs. oil leak, coolant leak, wind shied is busted. exhaust is scratched up. but it all cosmetic, I think. I wouldn't know it until I can test it out.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

No doubt you were in their blind spot. Always be aware and stay out of those blind spots especially if it's an SUV. It seems you really over reacted and hit the brakes way to hard. Look all you need to do to not get hit by a car is make it miss you or you miss it by about 2 inches. I think that's the biggest mistake people make is thinking you need several feet between you to come out safe. That thought will cause you to slam the brakes on. I've missed more accidents than I can count by just barely skimming by without panicking.

Once you get your nerve back you might want to start practicing some slow controlled tight parking lot movements. Not with cars though.

Bye the way, with oil and coolant leaking, it is not all just cosmetic. You've probably at least broken the motor case cover on that side too.

Last edited by XRCajun; 11-05-2008 at 06:04 PM.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Did you lock up the back wheel? Glad you are relatively ok. Man, I was just down there today. 13th and N. Shepherd. Round what time did this happen?
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
epofhouston

Bike(s):
06 Fz6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Did you lock up the back wheel? Glad you are relatively ok. Man, I was just down there today. 13th and N. Shepherd. Round what time did this happen?
I wasn't sure if I locked up the back wheel or not. It happened so fast. It happened around 7:45am. Make me miss work too. I'm a contractor so no work no money.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Bizzach

Bike(s):
Yellow 2008 Kawa ZX-6R

I went down a year ago on my 250, cause a car ahead of me slammed on their brakes and I knew I couldn't stop in time. I locked up my front brake and went down, rolling and sliding. I was doing over 50 mph, and remember thinking to myself as I was sliding, "this is going to suck when I slam into that car!" Luckily, I stopped about 2 feet from hitting it.

Since then, I've learned to use the back brake in emergency stopping. I don't use it all the time, but if I get into trouble, I don't panic... then gently and steadily apply front brake, with the rear about half a second behind, so it's not as hard and doesn't lock up the back.

Oh and FWIW, I went down on the right side too, and my rear brake lever had cracked the sight glass, so oil drained out. Check if that's what happened to you. Took 5 minutes to fix with another glass. And the coolant could have been from the overflow tank.

I broke bones.... so be glad yours wasn't any worse! And keep on riding -- but be safe man!!
Bizzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by epofhouston View Post
I wasn't sure if I locked up the back wheel or not. It happened so fast. It happened around 7:45am. Make me miss work too. I'm a contractor so no work no money.
Hey man get your wreck out of the way! Like everybody says its when it happens not if. You will be a better rider once you get your nerve back. After my wreck I really observed traffic as a threat and not just large moving obstacles.
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
BoostJunky

ouchies... you're lucky though, i broke several bones in my bike wreck :-(
BoostJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Maybe I should rephrase that. I was riding down that way earlier today. Possibly you could look into adjusting your rear brake lever so it will take more effort to lock up the rear. Make it so a quick stomp won't put you into a skid.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
rugbystar13
Addicted to Excess

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-14
1997 Yamaha Vmax 200hp (recently sold)

Member Garage

I work in the Insurance biz.....so if you need an estimate or insurance claim advice shoot me a note......-Nick
rugbystar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Dude, that EXACT same thing happened to me 8 years ago. I was in some lady's blind spot and she cut over and I panicked, locked it up and layed it over just like you did. All I was wearing was a helmet for gear, and I broke 3 bones in my left foot.

What I always always always do now is stay out of ppl's blind spots. Priority No.1. Also always think of an escape route no matter where you are. Bikes are narrow, make your own lane in between cars or on the shoulder just long enough to get out of trouble.

What I do to practice quick stops: when I'm riding and there is no one around and I'm about to turn, I wait till the last minute, give my brakes a good firm squeeze and change from the outside of the lane to the inside (swerve within my own lane), then complete the turn. This will help you when you need it and don't have time to think about it. It will be second nature by then.

Hope you get your bike back up and running soon! Good luck.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement