MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Send a message via AIM to Metzzen1
Building a all motor 600 for HP

I love turbo's, who doesnt, but I have always liked the idea of a ~130 hp 600 normally aspirated engine. What would one need to do to make that kind of power? I would assume porting the heads, cams, and a good map could accomplish this without even touching the bottom end. Maybe a thinner copper head gasket to slightly bump compression. yay or neh?

I know the formula extreme and superbikes make more power than that but Im lookin into more of a streetable motor. must be under 13:1 compression to run 93 octane, must be reliable (get 20k miles out of it!!!) and make gobs of power.

Basically i want a 750 killer.

Anyone have any links to build threads or pages where they have built some monster 600's?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i need to buy an motor/complete for 96' 600 ASAP.cash ready an everything. please gsf600guy How To's and Q & A's 4 01-17-2015 11:30 AM
gsxr 750 motor in a bandit 600? Infinite General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-17-2011 10:33 PM
is a rebuilt motor the same as a new motor evobusa7 Off Topic 46 04-03-2009 05:53 PM
03 600rr hp vs 06 zx-6r hp Solracer Performance and Modifications 106 08-04-2007 12:21 PM
Building credit???? KiNG $h!T General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 01-12-2006 12:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Just put a 750 in it, it would be cheaper.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

+1
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

+2
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

when you start messing with the motor making mods is when you start having problems so i say +3 to the 750 motor./
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Unfortunately, doing all that work would not be worth it, as mentioned above. A motor drop is your best option.

want more acceleration? swap out the sprockets... will feel like 130hp, all the way up to 140 lol....
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Motors like that are not built for the long run. In AMA most the motors are used once then torn down. evan some of the qualify bikes are 10 lap motors, gobs of power but dont last.

750 FTMFW!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

if your lucky, when the swap is done, it should go Potato, Potato, Potato

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

I started a thread a ways back. Search for "turbo bike" and see what ya find.

we've already had this discussion
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
Squidly

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290

http://www.kwsmotorsports.com/
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #11
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

cheapist way is to buy a 1000 and put a 600 sticker on it.

Suzuki squids aka everyone, wont know the difference anyway and if they say "isint that a 1000" just say "Lol no you noob cant you read?"

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

i think you guys are missing the point.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Just put a 750 in it, it would be cheaper.
+10000

You will waste a ton of money building a 600, considering you can get an old SRAD 750 for $500-600 used......but you have to mod the frame to get it to mount up.

If you are dead set on building a 600 and have tons of loot to spend, here is a recipe:

1) 2 or 3 mill over piston kit, 13-1 compression(probably about a 670-690cc)
2) Fully ported head, serdi valve job, good springs
3) Yoshimura stg 1 cams or custom Megacycle cams
4) If the bike is carbed, get some 38 mm Keihen FCR carbs(flat slides), if its injected, you will have to port the TBs or use some TBs off of a 750.
5) air box modifications for both carbed or injected bikes
6) a GOOD exhaust system(akro, Ti Force, Leo Vince)

I would go check out www.carpenterracing.com and have him do everything for you. Be prepared to spend $4k+ on this and MAYBE get 130rwhp. It would be strong(compared to stock) and reliable but definetly not cost effective. You could also stroke it but the reliability goes down the tubes then. Remember the Formula Extreme bikes make 170-180hp but are torn down after every freakin race AND they are about $10k+ per engine.

Bang for the buck would be to slap a 750 or 1k engine in it but I know the motor mounts are different so be preppared to cut and weld a lot on the frame. Best bet would be to sell it and buy something bigger to start with.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
+10000

You will waste a ton of money building a 600, considering you can get an old SRAD 750 for $500-600 used......but you have to mod the frame to get it to mount up.

If you are dead set on building a 600 and have tons of loot to spend, here is a recipe:

1) 2 or 3 mill over piston kit, 13-1 compression(probably about a 670-690cc)
2) Fully ported head, serdi valve job, good springs
3) Yoshimura stg 1 cams or custom Megacycle cams
4) If the bike is carbed, get some 38 mm Keihen FCR carbs(flat slides), if its injected, you will have to port the TBs or use some TBs off of a 750.
5) air box modifications for both carbed or injected bikes
6) a GOOD exhaust system(akro, Ti Force, Leo Vince)

I would go check out www.carpenterracing.com and have him do everything for you. Be prepared to spend $4k+ on this and MAYBE get 130rwhp. It would be strong(compared to stock) and reliable but definetly not cost effective. You could also stroke it but the reliability goes down the tubes then. Remember the Formula Extreme bikes make 170-180hp but are torn down after every freakin race AND they are about $10k+ per engine.

Bang for the buck would be to slap a 750 or 1k engine in it but I know the motor mounts are different so be preppared to cut and weld a lot on the frame. Best bet would be to sell it and buy something bigger to start with.
Thanks for the great response. Sounds like stickin a stocker in there is my best bet . I may have to just look into a 750 or 1k engine sometime soon. I have a SRAD frome so the SRAD 750 would be a drop in except I would have to rebuild the rear mount that I cut off when I put in the 04' motor. I dont want any carbs this time around. I still have my srad motor and Im either going to sell it or go-kart it (if I ever find time for that damnit). Either that.......or build a junkyard turbo kit....get all my ducks in a row (after studyin your buidl thread for a few days)......or just blow the motor up.

On that note, how are turbos usually done on carbed bikes? blow through design or what?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
geeezus christ ! another rocket scientist trying to re-engineer the wheel. why spend dollars to get pennies. if u wanna go fast. buy a new bike. there are plenty of stock 130+ hp bikes on the market these days. get rid of that vintage ur on and step into the modern world jr ! the only person ur fooling is urself
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #16
tarracing

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
03 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
geeezus christ ! another rocket scientist trying to re-engineer the wheel. why spend dollars to get pennies. if u wanna go fast. buy a new bike. there are plenty of stock 130+ hp bikes on the market these days. get rid of that vintage ur on and step into the modern world jr ! the only person ur fooling is urself
i think he has the extra time and money to spend, so its to easy just to buy a 750 and do a swap. thats wat i would do if i had extra time and money and didnt care. (modify a 600 and try to beat a 750)...but who knows
tarracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #17
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
modifying a bike is always fun but be ready to spend alot of down time etc while others w stock bikes wanna keep riding.

as mentioned above, is it worth to boast about time and money spent on a bike that may not beat a stock 600 of newer years? I'd give anyone props for attempting that much work, but I wouldnt consider it bragging rights unless it could consistantly beat something of a larger engine size.

also considering, the newer bikes are lighter, built for cornering etc. so if you do beat them in a drag race can the bike continue to perform in a long country road ride too?

Just things to consider. 4k is 4k to invest as your choice; remember wiring harnesses and plenty of spare time/money for all the little things not considered initially. And when it comes to resale you wont get what you put into it(anything closer to stock will get better review over a modified bike)
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
Wow dont be a total or anything In the future feel free to rid the world of your useless posts and save the time it takes you to mash your head against the keyboard enough to post up..

Besides I never asked "whats the cheapest way to make 130hp" now did I? No I didnt. I happen to be interested in things that your obviously not so why dont you go buy your bike, that anyone with $8k can go buy..... Ill stick to buildin mine. Bikes are just like hotrods....REAL hotrods are BUILT not bought. And besides this "vintage " happens to do evertying i need it to do and them some and all for 1/10 the insurance bill as your choice of bike. If I wanted something off the shelf I would buy it, thats obvioulsy not what I want. so in short... GO YOURSELF
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
tarracing

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
03 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzzen1 View Post
Wow dont be a total or anything In the future feel free to rid the world of your useless posts and save the time it takes you to mash your head against the keyboard enough to post up..

Besides I never asked "whats the cheapest way to make 130hp" now did I? No I didnt. I happen to be interested in things that your obviously not so why dont you go buy your bike, that anyone with $8k can go buy..... Ill stick to buildin mine. Bikes are just like hotrods....REAL hotrods are BUILT not bought. And besides this "vintage " happens to do evertying i need it to do and them some and all for 1/10 the insurance bill as your choice of bike. If I wanted something off the shelf I would buy it, thats obvioulsy not what I want. so in short... GO YOURSELF

i was pretty close
tarracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzzen1 View Post

more power to ya dumb go build the most expensive, slow pile of you possibly can. i need a good laugh

oh one more thing... i dont ride a street bike, so i dont pay insurance have a nice day

go yourself. gee that hurt. i think im gonna go cry
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement