MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

CE + the maj. of all motoGP riders
same applies for cars and their top notch drivers, F1
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Noobie So Deliciously Noobie Ride! Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! 9/2/12 NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 67 09-02-2012 10:09 PM
Question fo da ladies................... Solracer Off Topic 11 10-22-2010 08:42 AM
How Not To Be a Noobie (CW 07/08) gsxrjai New Riders and MSF Course Info 5 08-24-2008 10:39 PM
Question 4 da geeks.... BlackWidow Off Topic 5 12-10-2007 10:48 AM
d[-_-]b....noobie question ...whats a good exhuast! carlos flores General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 06-01-2007 09:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #22
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
sounds like you have experience? Actually you are right! I lowsided on my second, and it6 actually slowed me down on my third one, but 2 trackdays later I was back ion the groove and faster than ever.

Amanda,
you have more trackdays than me. I have not seen you ride lateyl, but for me it's about chasing around the fast guys and letting them criticize how awful and slow I am. It helps. For example, I am riding level 4 on Sat and you are in level 2. I will be the slowest one out there, but I think I will be faster becasue of it. Come ride witht he big boi's we will make you faster!!!
be careful....riding the advanced group can do you more harm than good if you're not ready for it.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
Amanda
Bulletproof

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
In my humble opinion, of watching you ride on several track days, is that for the most part, your form is there, better than mine. You are smooth and consistent.

However.....

If you are trying to get faster, then where I see you're lacking is braking, getting on it sooner when exiting and straight away speed.
Remember, I finally found my nuts last cresson event!

Im not afraid of wrecking, i know I wont be seriously injured.

thank you for outlook. I plan to work on my braking, exiting speed, and straight away speeds on sat!

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
in a sense, it is taking a step back. but sometimes you gotta take one step back to make a few steps forward. slowing things down (speeds of a mini) will help you understand more about what you are doing and where you can improve.

learn the limits of a mini.....and it'll help learn the limits of the big bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Best experience I gained from the mini's is getting comfortable with the bike sliding around and beeing in such close quarters with other riders.

You can experiment with different body possitioning and techniques and most the time, if you wreck, you just pick up your bike, bend your shifter back in place and get on down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
In order to be "fast" on a mini you gotta learn to stay in it, brake less, brake later, etc. All of this transfers to big bikes in the form of more corner speed. Anyone can whack the throttle open coming out of turns, but the races are won and lost in the corners.
now these are what i was lookin for!

thanks guys!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Remember, I finally found my nuts last cresson event!

thank you for outlook. I plan to work on my braking, exiting speed, and straight away speeds on sat!

Thank you

now these are what i was lookin for!

thanks guys!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #25
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post

Ive come ALONG way, but im not that fast. I highly doubt any slip up at the track is gonna hospitalize me for weeks...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Too many to list

You know, you are really really ignorant of the whole deal.
Racers have been killed on what you deem a step backwards.

Some of the real racers here have suggested some things but you throw that out and go w/ " plan to work on my braking, exiting speed, and straight away speeds".

You would be much better off listening to some long time racers.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #27
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
You know, you are really really ignorant of the whole deal.
Racers have been killed on what you deem a step backwards.

Some of the real racers here have suggested some things but you throw that out and go w/ " plan to work on my braking, exiting speed, and straight away speeds".

You would be much better off listening to some long time racers.
Wait, do u know me?

cuz i sure as dont think u do...

u got the whole point of my post backwards...go flame someone else...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #28
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Lol

Those of us that know you amanda know that you work hard on the track. You are 21. Hang in there.

Or do I need to be a "real" racer to say that?
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #29
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
now that the fear is out of the way, it's time to work on going fast!

but also remember, this is a dangerous sport, even a small spill can spell disaster.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

I don't know you.
I'm just going on your post in this topic.
So based on that, I see ignorance. BTW - thats not a bad word.

Unless your stupid too. lol

I aint flamin anyone either. Just ask anyone who knows me. I was trying to help.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #31
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
now that the fear is out of the way, it's time to work on going fast!

but also remember, this is a dangerous sport, even a small spill can spell disaster.
in my opinion, there is a difference in being scared and having respect for a powerful machine! Im not scared of any of it or i would not be doing it, but im also not trying to do anything outside my limits...

I most def understand this is a dangerous sport...

which is why i take majority of my riding to the track...AND why im asking for more options to learn the right way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
lol... everyone knows girls can't ride
shhhhhh, dont tell anyone!

SIDENOTE: i rode a fifty tonight! ---> almost ready to try the nsr
Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #32
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

well i see lots of good advice and lots of bad advice. don't think for a minute that you can't get seriously hurt on a mini, i see it quite often unfort.

as shadman said, you'll learn so much about what your inputs do, and how important those inputs are. as i said, i promise you that you don't know what weighting the pegs do for you until you can ride a mini and steer with almost peg weight only.

as i read somewhere today, tire confidence makes a huge difference in your comfort level in riding a bike but that isn't the only thing that brings comfort, a properly set up bike is important too.

i suggest that you find your self a mini ride and start riding around not really a step back when you learn enough to move 3 steps forward as tony said. there are quite a few of us who probably learned MOST of what we know riding minis in a racing environment.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #33
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
well i see lots of good advice and lots of bad advice. don't think for a minute that you can't get seriously hurt on a mini, i see it quite often unfort.

as shadman said, you'll learn so much about what your inputs do, and how important those inputs are. as i said, i promise you that you don't know what weighting the pegs do for you until you can ride a mini and steer with almost peg weight only.

as i read somewhere today, tire confidence makes a huge difference in your comfort level in riding a bike but that isn't the only thing that brings comfort, a properly set up bike is important too.

i suggest that you find your self a mini ride and start riding around not really a step back when you learn enough to move 3 steps forward as tony said. there are quite a few of us who probably learned MOST of what we know riding minis in a racing environment.
I can comment on that. Mini's Hurt!!!! lol I got a big high side from mine this past weekend
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #34
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
Just ask Gabes girlfriend, or me, 14 broken bones last season because someone went down in front of me. If you think you won't get seriously hurt, you've got a lot to learn Mini racing by far has the hardest crashes. People push them so hard, and they bite hard.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
In my experience you're MORE likely to hurt yourself bad on a mini.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #36
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

I got a cheapo ching chong mini very recently. Never planned to race and I canít say for sure about the skills yet from personal experience since I have not done a TD since I got it. Guess Iíll find out more on that tomorrow. I have had it out to Katy on 3 occasions now and I can attest that for me the entertainment value and grin factor is high. I canít help thinking Iím developing and /or reinforcing skills that will be used on the big bike. As mentioned weighting the peg is huge on a mini and I can see taking that feel to the big bike. Although the body position is different, the same flaws I know I have on the big bike were present on the mini. Maybe if I fixíem on the miniÖ.? Itís a great workout and Iím sure itíll help develop or keep me in shape for the big bike. I havenít experienced a bad crash (knock on wood) but Iíve tossed it down the track more times than I care to say and recently Iíve saved it a couple times too. Thatís one Helluva cool feeling!
If seat time is key, hey this IS seat time. Itís also cheap. Itís also very assessable to me and on my schedule meaning I can hit the mini track pipe at least once a week every week. All things considered Iím thinking itís great, cheap fun and that it would be beneficial to anyone wanting to improve their track day performance.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #37
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Wait, do u know me? cuz i sure as dont think u do...
Haha! I love it when people post this question. It's the Internet and you're in a public forum, so yeah I know you.

I also love the "real" racers versus track day types when it comes to offering advice. There's a chasm there, both real and perceived, isn't there?

Enough commentary...

Karts are fun, but they won't teach you much about the track with regard to motorcycles, except maybe how much harder and faster you can corner with four wheels versus two.

Minis are an excellent educational tool for the track. Light and nimble, they can instill confidence and teach you the importance of corner speed because they lack power relative to a big bike. When you learn to ride the out of a mini, you'll feel a lot more comfortable trying to ride the out of your big bike.

Also stated here several times is the fact that minis might be small, but they should be taken seriously on the track. If you can bust your by tripping over your dog or something, you can certainly bust your on a moving motorcycle on pavement. I've done it plenty, as have most others here that piloted a mini around the track in anger.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
i would rather hear nails on a chalkboard...

the truth is both minis and big bikes are dangerous... mystie also had a broken pelvis if memory serves... and plenty of us have seen others take trips in the ambulance (as well as personally gone) from riding both big/small bikes alike...

not to mention that the most crashes occur in the group that you are in... i.e., intermediate riders who are trying to push their own limits (not the limits of the bike)...

you REALLY need to put a whole lot more thought into your belief... it couldn't be farther from the truth...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM   #39
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
i would rather hear nails on a chalkboard...

the truth is both minis and big bikes are dangerous... mystie also had a broken pelvis if memory serves... and plenty of us have seen others take trips in the ambulance (as well as personally gone) from riding both big/small bikes alike...

not to mention that the most crashes occur in the group that you are in... i.e., intermediate riders who are trying to push their own limits (not the limits of the bike)...

you REALLY need to put a whole lot more thought into your belief... it couldn't be farther from the truth...
Of the 15 or 20 MH riders who started the 2007 TMGP season, only about 5 were made it to the seasons end without getting injured
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #40
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

yep, you guys misunderstood me...

when i said that, i was responding to cdill. He was saying u gotta have nuts and not be scared along with telling me what his view was on what i needed to work on at the track...then i said i wasnt scared and didnt think i would be seriously injured

I was NOT talking about mini injuries. I was talking about big bikes. Ive heard of worse injuries on those little chits then i have big bikes.

Advertisement