MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Question... Marchesini Magnesium

Guys,
Are there any issues with a big ol' guy like me riding the GSXR liter bike on the Marchesini magnesium wheels? Any chance of bending or breakage at the track?

I have a potential opportunity to pick some up at a really good price. Information appreciated.

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marchesini Cast Magnesium Wheel Compatibility... Beastraven General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-05-2012 03:56 PM
Arlen Ness Magnesium Kangaroo Suit cdill35 Gear Talk 29 05-02-2009 05:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Buy them and let me ride it
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Theoretically those wheelz are stronger than your stock. At least that is what I have been told.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Tiatool, that's not what I'm reading. People are suggesting that the magnesium wheels are track only and don't hold up as well to the potholes and other debris encountered on the road. I'm thinking my additional weight might exacerbate the problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

That was what I thought untill I was told they are stronger and they proved it by dropping them rim only (no tyre) from about 5 feet. The stockers dented and the mags stayed true. Read it on the R1 forum.

I hear you on the potholes and such, which is why they would be considered track only ect... but was TOLD this is a wives tale.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

BOTH Forged aluminum & Forged Magnesium wheels are an excellent choice for rough roads, or High Speed Racing

http://www.hardracing.com/Rims/Marchesini.htm
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Tiatool, you are quoting sales literature I'm looking for some real world experience.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
they are much stronger than cast aluminum wheels, don't believe the "not safe for the street" bs people like to claim. they are stonger and lighter. plain and simple. they are also, however, much harder to repair if they do get damaged. if you can get them, then do. they generally weigh much less than oem cast wheels, and their weight is closer to the center of the wheel, so the rotational mass is even less. you'll notice quicker turn-in, and an overall "lighter-on-its-feet" feel compared to the stock wheels.

but keep in mind, generally you have to get a new sprocket as well, as marchesini uses a proprietary bolt pattern.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I believe I have heard of fatigue with the mags though so look into that too.

I personally wouldn't buy the mags to ride on the street, and many others I have notice wouldn't buy the aluminums to ride on the track. Everyone gets the wheels for different reasons from what I have noticed since picking mine up.

The mags should be considerably lighter, and nice to have, but I would still hesitate to use them on the street. On the track I wouldn't have much worry unless there is a big mishap that tosses the bike around.

Are you looking at 16.5's or 17's? If they are 16.5's you may have a big problem finding anything other than slicks to put on them.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

these are 17's.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Tiatool, that's not what I'm reading. People are suggesting that the magnesium wheels are track only and don't hold up as well to the potholes and other debris encountered on the road. I'm thinking my additional weight might exacerbate the problem.
exactly my understanding too,
I know of a couple of heavyweight racers who have used them on track without issue.
think I read something about them being too brittle for "everyday" road use particually where potholes are concerned
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Darius is a stunter runs them and his hold up fine... never really see him fall much tho
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #13
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
these are 17's.
Talking about your boots?
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Guys,
Are there any issues with a big ol' guy like me riding the GSXR liter bike on the Marchesini magnesium wheels? Any chance of bending or breakage at the track?

I have a potential opportunity to pick some up at a really good price. Information appreciated.

-Curt
i hate u curt
GET EM!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Your 300 lbs of bulk (guessing high, don't take offense) is nowhere near the impact force of a wheel falling into a pothole at 60 mph. Unless you plan on slamming down some wheelies on the track, you'll be fine.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

OK, so some interesting information regarding the Marchesini Magnesium wheels. First, a national distributor has suggested that Marchesini is going to release a new magnesium wheel in '09; they expect that to result in a significant end of year sale on the magnesiums similar to last year when they were available for $2,250 shipped. That's lower than the price I found, so I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Further, I've been told that magnesium wheels become brittle over time which has impacted the TUV rating. In a racing environment, the supplier I spoke with recommend replacing the wheels after three years. This gentleman wasn't trying to push any other product, he was just sharing information.

So, I'll hold off on this purchase for a bit to see what happens with Marchesini towards the end of the year. I also will try to validate the statements about the magnesium wheels becoming more brittle over time.

-Curt
Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
OK, so some interesting information regarding the Marchesini Magnesium wheels. First, a national distributor has suggested that Marchesini is going to release a new magnesium wheel in '09; they expect that to result in a significant end of year sale on the magnesiums similar to last year when they were available for $2,250 shipped. That's lower than the price I found, so I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Further, I've been told that magnesium wheels become brittle over time which has impacted the TUV rating. In a racing environment, the supplier I spoke with recommend replacing the wheels after three years. This gentleman wasn't trying to push any other product, he was just sharing information.

So, I'll hold off on this purchase for a bit to see what happens with Marchesini towards the end of the year. I also will try to validate the statements about the magnesium wheels becoming more brittle over time.

-Curt
Everything I've read says to strip/check/repaint mag wheels every few years. I don't think they magically become more brittle unless the mag is exposed to the elements.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
[poser]
"the un-original"

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

I have heard that magnesium is more poreus [or is it porus?] than aluminum so its important to keep an eye on your tire pressure, but given thet most sportbike rideres check that pretty often it shouldn't be an issue

by keep an eye on pressure, I think they were refering to you have to check and adjust every few weeks, you can't just expect them to stay the way most people do to their cars
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
I have heard that magnesium is more poreus [or is it porus?] than aluminum so its important to keep an eye on your tire pressure, but given thet most sportbike rideres check that pretty often it shouldn't be an issue

by keep an eye on pressure, I think they were refering to you have to check and adjust every few weeks, you can't just expect them to stay the way most people do to their cars
Geez! That's what nitrogen is for.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Magnesium/alloy holds up ok by itself. We not have engine blocks constructed from them.

It is a softer metal on the spectrum and usually coated/powercoated after being molded or cut to retain shape.

Corvettes have had magnesium/alloy options(comes in a chrome) for a few years; all the old ferrari wheels I use to change out could be bent by dumbazz tire installers but remember with the correct tire pressures force load is applied momentarily to the sprockets as they rotate; The tire takes alot of the grunt of the forces.

What does lighter do, negatively? Imbalance will be more significant because there isn't a dense weight to absorb reflection.

Slowblack05 has some on his 1000rr if Im not mistaken...stunting w them this last Sunday... may want to hit him up on some advice. I believe he was running bt002's as well. He needed to use a kawi sprocket to make it fit his bike(as per wheel requirements.)