Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Now I understand

I love my daily commute..but I hate traffic. My wife mentioned see has noticed a difference in me when I ride vs when I drive. I have a passion for riding. Under 1 year and easily at 12k miles since dec, all commuting, no real touring miles. It's been an adventure. I sold me car and my wife drives and I ride. I've noticed that when I drive, I can pretty much just cruise along and just laugh at the idiots and keep moving. I pretty much get in one lane, use the tiptronic tranmission and smoothly get home. On the bike, I refrain from lanesplitting as much as possible per not legalized yet, but I still find myself even on the 250 much more aggressive (even though by most's standards I'm really conservative on my commute).

I've determined to pretty much begin cage commuting for the beltway again, and enjoy my bike on nice low traffic days and weekends. Why? I get much more defensive about my personal "drive space" on a bike. Why? Its my life on the line. I get more people near running me over. I can take it all, I've enjoyed it... but does any else feel like this something? I think I'll enjoy my riding more when my 200 miles is during the weekend, rather than during mon-friday and then dressing back up in a tie at work.

I love riding. I love the experince. But anyone else also get tired of just dealing with the idiots on the road. Anyone else feel more defensive and get more focused on the "enemies" out there than enjoying the riding sometimes?

Just me I guess, but I'm never going to shelve riding. I love it, and want to be always pushing myself in excellence. However, I'm learning that when the weekend roles round I'm so tired and exhausted of it all that I've had my fill of riding for the week and just rest. I'd rather be hitting up with you guys on the weekend and enjoying it, rather than saying, i've already put on 300 miles this week in commuting and I'm just going to chill...
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me understand the media ArmyApe The Circus 5 10-02-2013 11:21 AM
Can not understand this one. grsa Off Topic 5 05-15-2011 09:22 PM
Honduras ... not sure I understand what's going on ... logan5 Off Topic 3 06-30-2009 11:41 AM
Help me understand... jus10 Off Topic 42 05-09-2007 01:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

lets ride this weekend!
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

I see it differently. I KNOW there are alot of bad drivers out there and when I get on my bike, I feel 10x more alert and alive than when I drive my car. When I get home or to work my mind feels very alert and active.
I know people are bad drivers, but I think the majority of the time they don't see a bike because of it's size. In other words, I don't think they are literally out there to get me!

I've only been riding (this time around) for about 5 months now, but I feel this is where I was always meant to be. I share your passion for it and when I ride I feel more alive than when I drive.

(But I hate the cold weather!!!!)
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

it was crazy because when i got my car back i didint even really want to get on the bike till recently, i been fixing things here and there, now i enjoy riding once again, no longer feeels like i must ride , but choose to when i feel like it, i put 10 k miles on mine a few months alot of commuting, i used to hate goin on group rides because the drive was not there for me, but now, i enjoy it once again
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
BritishDevil

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
99 Yammi 600R
05 GSX-R 600
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Send a message via AIM to BritishDevil Send a message via Yahoo to BritishDevil
My bike is where i belong...just havent bin able to get it fixed...getting my track bike 1st, next year either a challanger or a new bike.
BritishDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

good stuff. I agree with you guys, don't get me wrong. I feel way more alive on my bike and love riding. Just the stress of Beltway stop and go gets on me. I also wear earplugs so maybe I should invest in some of those music earplugs so I can listen to my chill music more. That REALLY helps me. I listen to downtempo and audiobooks for commuting. I'd be a lot more patient listening to that when in stop and go.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i use to ride to work, but the new uniform and such isnt exactly easy to gear up and ride in... so i drive to work very slowly.. but when i get on the bike, i totally understand were you coming from about riding aggressive

because when i get on the bike im looking out for my own life. so if it means going a little over the speed limit to keep from getting smashed because some female forgets im to the right of her back about 2 cars and think oh hey thats my turn , gets in my lane and slams on the brakes... very crappy situation that has happened more than once.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Drumboy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Tiptronic? Is it auto or standard? Do you really push up and down on the shifter? I hate when people tell me "It's tipronic so it's just like a standard..." "Well does it have clutch?"

I hear you on riding V caging. I sold my R6 when I had to ride on I-10 and the Beltway from the Heights to Westchase but I don't mind the commute from the Heights to downtown now.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Redux

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
Tiptronic? Is it auto or standard? Do you really push up and down on the shifter? I hate when people tell me "It's tipronic so it's just like a standard..." "Well does it have clutch?"

I hear you on riding V caging. I sold my R6 when I had to ride on I-10 and the Beltway from the Heights to Westchase but I don't mind the commute from the Heights to downtown now.
No, triptronic simply allows you to command your automatic transmission to change to a higher or lower gear. Either way, if you let the engine RPM go too high or too low the engine will shift without your permission anyway.

The only "true" automatic manual on the marker right now is the Smart that actually has a clutch that engages/disengages. I think
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

I hear you man. For the past several months I have gotten to the point where I only ride on weekends or trackdays.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
I only ride about 5 miles to work but every time I ride it seems like some jerkoff pulls something new.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

I am looking to get back into the daily commute order simply because gas is too expensive and instead of what was my 7 mile ride to work, is now over 27 miles one way. If I can get a good price on some cortech saddle and tail bags and get around to fixing my radar mount then I will be going everyday on the bike again.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
MudBug
Banned

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned