MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

My first drop

This post is mostly for me to sort out what happened and hopefully learn from it. Apologies for the length and I am sure these are all very noob questions.

While practicing a slow u-turn in a parking lot I managed to drop my bike (a used 2008 Suzuki GSX650F with less than 800 miles).

Before I get asked, a second round of MSF is on the to-do list but I need two consecutive work-free days in order to do it and that doesn’t look promising until December unless someone knows of a MSF night school. So I have been practicing in parking lots until I can take it the course.

Summary:
I am still not sure which exact event caused the drop or when certain events happened as it was all very fast. But here is what I recall and my thoughts in brackets.

* I started the turn just inside one line, I think I turned bars a bit too sharp and came to a dead stop which in turn caused me to lose balance. [No, I don’t know why I didn’t just give power, straighten up and try again but I didn’t. I remember looking down at the front wheel just as it was going down so maybe I was already doing that and it was part of the problem or maybe it was just instinct as the bike started to tip to look where I would be falling?]

* As the bike starts to go down I must have let go with my left hand because I recall trying to hold it up by my right hand. The wheel turns all the way to the left while the engine RPMs go way up as, in a vain attempt to hold the bike up, I inadvertently twist the throttle. I don’t recall the rear wheel spinning so I assume it was in neutral. [Perhaps I shifted into neutral instead of 1 when I started the turn but I don’t recall seeing the neutral indicator beforehand?]

* I don’t really recall lifting the bike back up but the engine was still running as I started to lift it but as I got it vertical the engine dies and the FI light is on. Turn the key all the way off and back on and it fired right up, whew!

Aftermath
Bike damage:
* The biggest damage was that I snapped the end off of the clutch handle –(it’s a first year bike so that was expensive to replace as only OEM parts are available)
* Added some scratches to the engine cover (previous owner had already had some)
* Small scratch on the back of the mirror

Amazingly, there no damage to any of the plastics not even a scratch, the end of the handlebar was not even scratched. I am working on the assumption that the clutch handle hit first along with the engine cover and that the bike simply went straight down and back up which is why the plastics didn’t get scrapped.

Self damage:
* Bruised ego
* Strained right lower back, right triceps and right shoulder from trying (and failing) to keep the bike from falling and then picking it up with bad form

All comments welcome but I have these questions about the bike:
Did the engine die because the RPMs go too high (does this bike even do that) or because it was laid down on its side?
What is the delay for the engine to stop when it goes down?
Do I need to worry that I did any drive train damage in this incident?

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Last edited by bioGuru; 10-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First drop tnluu How To's and Q & A's 12 04-26-2014 04:22 PM
Used Oil Drop Off sangria7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 08-03-2009 08:14 PM
Tops Drop tonyt915 Off Topic 20 01-24-2009 10:22 AM
Off Topic - Keep it or Drop it? silverfudge Forum Updates & Feedback 46 10-10-2008 11:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

It happens. It won't be the last time, either. I'm sorry it happened on such a new and pretty bike, though. Oh well. I've dropped mine lots and it's still in good shape. You probably did no real damage.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Its happens.

next time, right when it hits the ground turn the bike off
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I think you're fine, I would say the FI light came on b/c it wasn't getting any fuel when she was on her side
Practice makes perfect, but you better be prepared to drop her again if you are trying stuff you aren't 100% comfortable with.....BTW I don't think a 2nd MSF would necessarily solve this problem as much as practice but that puts you back in the risky moves category
Bottom line is you are able to do the maneuver but you didn't quite make it this time around, it's bound to happen and either you learn to throttle out or just let the bike fall next time so you don't hurt yourself
Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
I think you're fine, I would say the FI light came on b/c it wasn't getting any fuel when she was on her side
Practice makes perfect, but you better be prepared to drop her again if you are trying stuff you aren't 100% comfortable with.....BTW I don't think a 2nd MSF would necessarily solve this problem as much as practice but that puts you back in the risky moves category
Bottom line is you are able to do the maneuver but you didn't quite make it this time around, it's bound to happen and either you learn to throttle out or just let the bike fall next time so you don't hurt yourself
i agree.....
Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I'm confused, what does this have to do with getting your first convertible?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'm confused, what does this have to do with getting your first convertible?
+1 wth?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

keep your head up and look thru the turn to where you wanna go.

3 easy keys to slow tight turns: head turn, clutch control, weight shift.

also stay away from the ft brake, when the handlebars are turned, and you apply ft brake, it tends to catch and make the bike fall in faster.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

do u have frame sliders? and and bar end sliders?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Thanks for the thoughts. Only one company has framesliders specific to this model and they want a LOT for them (>$250).

I am toying with just taking all the plastics and putting generic sliders on it for a while. I figure I don't really need the fairing until I start riding freeway speeds regularly and the plastics are probably the most expensive things to be damaged while I am "coming up to speed" so to speak.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
There's a few of us in your area.

If you do wanna get out and have some that will ride at a LEARNABLE pace, help block traffic and ride within the protective bubble of a group, hit us up...

Advertisement