MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #81
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
MaxGs and the Gargantuan Racing Team....
If we did well, whoever handled our suspension would get big press! No pun intended and shameless solicitation intended! Lol
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
Track day in two days!!!!!! SPYDER BITE Events, Meets and Rides 77 03-08-2008 06:44 AM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #82
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Be on the look out for a few overweighters out there runnin endurance.
Your not gunna do sprints?

Yall should use MaxGs bike hehe Spidermonkey and I (maybe) might get a team going since were somewhat the same weight
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #83
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
If Obama gets elected you ain't going to do em anyway. SEE MY SIG!
Bill.........nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
There are a lot of people saying, "I want to go fast!", or "I want to find my limits!" or "I love the camaraderie of the folks at the track!" or ďI canít get enough of going fast on my bike and I think of it 24/7/365. Fair enough, Iím with you. But this thread is teetering on the edge of the next obvious point, so let me ask the question: "If you like track days so much and you want to hone your skills and get faster, why not start racing (assuming you don't race now)?"
For myself......racing is only a matter of time.

Oh.....and money.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #84
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
If you like track days so much and you want to hone your skills and get faster, why not start racing (assuming you don't race now)?
1. I'm not fast enough. I'd be a rolling chicane

2. I'm out there to work on . I don't need the added distraction of competition.

Will I race eventually? Yes. However, I want to drop my laptimes siginificantly before I even consider it. There's nothing more disheartening than thinking you're quick, and being DEAD ****ING LAST in a race. That, for me, would be a real quick way to take all of the fun out of this hobby.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #85
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
I first wanted to do a track day because I wanted to be faster. But I wasn't planning on doing one for a while. What made me start thinking about going to my first my track day was hearing Cdill, Hooligan, Tiatool all talking about their track days and how much of a difference they believed it made and how fun it was. Then I went on a ride with Caligonetx through the forest and on up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) to do a parade lap and watch some friends. After those 4 or 5 laps were over all I could think about was making it out there and how much fun it would be to be able to go faster. So I went and bought my leathers and boots on my next paycheck and that same week won a Ridesmart track day at the M&G that MaxGs put together. I used that credit for the track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Labor Day.

Since that day, not even 2 months ago I have gotten addicted to the fun. I already have 3 more track days planned out before the end of November. I believe it has made a huge difference in my riding, and owe those people that kept on talking about their track days and how much fun they were, and Cali for taking us up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) to actually see it first hand. If it wasn't for me hearing that and making it out there, then I probably would still be waiting until sometime later to make it out to the track.

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #86
maxgs

Member Garage

DFL.... when i went to Nationals for the first time my goal was to be anything except D-F-L. Ba ha ha ha.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #87
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Racing makes you faster quicker.
Not neccesarily. If you're so far behind the pack you can't even follow someone and see their lines, racing doesn't help anymore than a regular track day and a track day is safer for you AND them.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #88
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
1. I'm not fast enough. I'd be a rolling chicane

2. I'm out there to work on . I don't need the added distraction of competition.

Will I race eventually? Yes. However, I want to drop my laptimes siginificantly before I even consider it. There's nothing more disheartening than thinking you're quick, and being DEAD ****ING LAST in a race. That, for me, would be a real quick way to take all of the fun out of this hobby.
Agreed. I used to race ATV's all over the country. Ran Mickey Thompson Series, Arenacross, GNC MX and TT. I rode for 8 years before I raced. Went out there on a 4 stroke 230cc against 250cc 2 strokes and did well. That encouraged me, the I got the right bike, and was good. Rcaed 3 classes. Flew all over the country racing, sponsors, big rig the whole thing. If I had gotten smoked, at a local track, in my first race. I very well may have been discouraged.

Eventually the fun disappeared when the expectations became too much for a teenager to handle. Furthermore, girls, booze and a little puff here and there became more important.

I like the fact that I am a bigger dude, on a 600. There are no expectations.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #89
maxgs

Member Garage

Did CDill just suggest he had racing groupies? Ah, the good old days.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #90
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
DFL.... when i went to Nationals for the first time my goal was to be anything except D-F-L. Ba ha ha ha.
LMAO!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #91
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Not neccesarily. If you're so far behind the pack you can't even follow someone and see their lines, racing doesn't help anymore than a regular track day and a track day is safer for you AND them.

When I used to run practice, and I know I am talking about dirt, you could see where the fast guys were tripling, or doubling. The lines through the whoops, etc. So yea, while they may pull away in the race, open practice is a good place to see the lines. Dontcha think?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #92
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrick21 View Post
I first wanted to do a track day because I wanted to be faster. But I wasn't planning on doing one for a while. What made me start thinking about going to my first my track day was hearing Cdill, Hooligan, Tiatool all talking about their track days and how much of a difference they believed it made and how fun it was. Then I went on a ride with Caligonetx through the forest and on up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) to do a parade lap and watch some friends. After those 4 or 5 laps were over all I could think about was making it out there and how much fun it would be to be able to go faster. So I went and bought my leathers and boots on my next paycheck and that same week won a Ridesmart track day at the M&G that MaxGs put together. I used that credit for the track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Labor Day.

Since that day, not even 2 months ago I have gotten addicted to the fun. I already have 3 more track days planned out before the end of November. I believe it has made a huge difference in my riding, and owe those people that kept on talking about their track days and how much fun they were, and Cali for taking us up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) to actually see it first hand. If it wasn't for me hearing that and making it out there, then I probably would still be waiting until sometime later to make it out to the track.
Its great having you out there Rick!!! Your a natural man, I saw you your first TD at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and was like "WHOOH corner speed out the azz!)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #93
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Did CDill just suggest he had racing groupies? Ah, the good old days.
Dude, 9th grade, big 34' pace arrow with a 24' enclosed Hi Point trailer that said Brandt "Ruthless" D***** all over it! lol Rolling up to pick me up on Fridays after school.

I was the shiznit.

Then I got gray. Hair started thining, got fat, and poof! Itall went away. No one wants to hear about 1987! lol

Last edited by cdill35; 10-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #94
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
When I used to run practice, and I know I am talking about dirt, you could see where the fast guys were tripling, or doubling. The lines through the whoops, etc. So yea, while they may pull away in the race, open practice is a good place to see the lines. Dontcha think?
No, I don't. It all depends on how slow you are. There is a point where you're so slow that there's no possible way to learn anything from the people that are absolutely blowing past you.

CMRA #302
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #95
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
No, I don't. It all depends on how slow you are. There is a point where you're so slow that there's no possible way to learn anything from the people that are absolutely blowing past you.
Dude, its called seat time. Your out there with racers, your going to get fast wheather you like it or not. You'll see their lines and where to brake, you will pick up things every second your on the track, race or TD
Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #96
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Buck, if I was 25 that would be me. So now I'm stuck with being the older fat guy who holds people up in the corners. Ba ha ha ha.
You can't take the older, slow, fat guy title. I've got you by many years, 15 pounds and we won't discuss how much time.

For me, its fun and keeps me young. I hit sixty and had an "existential crisis".
"What have I done with my life" and "What will I do with the ten to thirty years left." Track days are the answer. With my golf buddies, we don't talk about women, we talk about our prostates, heart conditions, hip and knee replacements. With you guys, we talk about lines through the bus stop and suspension and tires. I like joking with Dr Gonzo that since his last birthday, he is no longer half my age.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #97
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Dude, its called seat time. Your out there with racers, your going to get fast wheather you like it or not. You'll see their lines and where to brake, you will pick up things every second your on the track, race or TD
Having been "out there with racers" once when I first started doing trackdays I can, beyond a shadow of a doubt, say that it was my LEAST productive of all trackdays. You have to have a certain pace to get any use of being around fast people. If you're too slow, its worthless. Or at the very least, its worthless for me.

If being on the track with racers really makes slow people faster, why bother spltting up track days? Wouldn't the C riders benefit from sharing the track with the A riders?

CMRA #302
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #98
99 Chris
Banned

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #99
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
There are a lot of people saying, "I want to go fast!", or "I want to find my limits!" or "I love the camaraderie of the folks at the track!" or ďI canít get enough of going fast on my bike and I think of it 24/7/365. Fair enough, Iím with you. But this thread is teetering on the edge of the next obvious point, so let me ask the question: "If you like track days so much and you want to hone your skills and get faster, why not start racing (assuming you don't race now)?"
I AM CMRA # 380 SEE YOU ON THE GRID
Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #100
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I'll try a race when I have time to commit to the entire season. I need to get faster first though because... I WANT THE F-N TROPHY!!!! or at least a podium or 2
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement