MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
mikes-si

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki zx-6r

Low oil causing a wet clutch to slip!?

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out why my bike will travel up to about 12k rpm's no problem but once it hits 12k, it just revs straight to redline. It feels as the clutch is slipping but I've put it into a high gear at a very low speed and opened the throttle and I got no slippage. So I am checking everything over for the maintenece I'll be doing this coming weekend, and I notice my oil it pretty low (not good). Does anyone think this can cause the wet clutch to actually slip at high rpm's due to the engine needing more oil then at a normal cruising engine speed?
If no-one knows, I guess well find out when i do my oil change!

Mike
mikes-si is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are low oil prices affecting or going to affect your employment? Petro Off Topic 930 06-25-2016 09:14 PM
Ran my '08 Silverado w/4.3L low on oil El Pachuco Car Forum 10 06-09-2014 11:29 AM
Low to No clutch pressure Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-12-2012 09:17 AM
how to change clutch oil ar1300 How To's and Q & A's 9 07-23-2008 10:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

is your clutch adjusted right? thats probably what it is. most newer riders for some reason seem to like there clutch to disengage at the very end of the lever when they let the clutch out. i dont know why it is bad on the bike and teaches bad habits. probably is slipping but the motor doesnt have enough power to slip it anywhere but near redline and near peak horsepower. keep doing it and eventually it will slip everywhere.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
mikes-si

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki zx-6r

Nope, clutch engages at just under halfway out. Everythings on check with that.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

hmmm... idk i would have to have the bike in front of me to figure it out. and college station is a long ways away lol.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
level5
moving chicane

This is an early stage of slippage. If you wait til it slips at 2K rpm then that is too late and might damage other hard parts that could cost you more money.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

I had something similar happen and took it to the stealership and they said the clutches needed to be soaked because they were drying out or something like that. Whatever they did it worked though
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
I had something similar happen and took it to the stealership and they said the clutches needed to be soaked because they were drying out or something like that. Whatever they did it worked though
That's for new clutch fibers, it shouldn't affect existing clutch fibers because they're always bathed in oil.

Chances are your clutch is getting worn hence the slipping. Sometimes, changing the oil can have an affect on it's performance as it wears, and may improve keeping it engaged with new oil.

My actual first thought was perhaps your clutch springs need to be replaced, but I think Level5 is probably spot-on with the early signs of clutch wear being the culprit.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

How many miles are on the bike?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
mikes-si

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki zx-6r

Sorry forgot about the miles, kinda crucial. It's got 13,000 miles on it and it's the original clutch.. I should probably just get it replaced then huh? BUT I don't want to pay a stearlership.

If I'm going to get it replaced I don't want to do an oil change and then have to drain the new oil I just put in out.. So would it be ok If i added a bit for another week or so until I get it changed?

Last edited by mikes-si; 10-27-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Are you using a motorcycle oil? It does make a difference.

And yes, sounds like the clutches are wearing down/slipping during higher torque requests.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-si View Post
Sorry forgot about the miles, kinda crucial. It's got 13,000 miles on it and it's the original clutch.. I should probably just get it replaced then huh? BUT I don't want to pay a stearlership.

If I'm going to get it replaced I don't want to do an oil change and then have to drain the new oil I just put in out.. So would it be ok If i added a bit for another week or so until I get it changed?
You should keep your oil level full no matter what you're doing.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
That's for new clutch fibers, it shouldn't affect existing clutch fibers because they're always bathed in oil.
Chances are your clutch is getting worn hence the slipping. Sometimes, changing the oil can have an affect on it's performance as it wears, and may improve keeping it engaged with new oil.

My actual first thought was perhaps your clutch springs need to be replaced, but I think Level5 is probably spot-on with the early signs of clutch wear being the culprit.

Thats what i thought too but when i asked them about it they just kinda blew me off and said they need to be re-soaked. Then when i picked the bike up my transmission was broke. Somehow it was broke when i dropped it off even though i rode it up there. I hate the stealership
Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrRcr369 View Post
Thats what i thought too but when i asked them about it they just kinda blew me off and said they need to be re-soaked. Then when i picked the bike up my transmission was broke. Somehow it was broke when i dropped it off even though i rode it up there. I hate the stealership
Without knowing the exact whole story, I'd say you got taken unfortunately.

Just like the old Maaco commercials used to say, "Uh oh, shoulda got Motorcycles Unlimited"...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Id check the adjustment first. Are you using synthetic oil?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Without knowing the exact whole story, I'd say you got taken unfortunately.

Just like the old Maaco commercials used to say, "Uh oh, shoulda got Motorcycles Unlimited"...
Oh no.... they screwed themselves on this one. When i said I started it and it made some horrible grinding noise they told me it was fine when they test rode it. They take it back and pull the motor apart and find one broke and two bent shift forks and some other stuff. Ask if i want them to fix it and I say well yeah you broke it. Tell me its gonna be almost 3 grand. I tell them sorry bout there bad luck but i'm not payin cause they did it. Then he says how could we have done it we never test rode it. This is when I went off and it took a few weeks of arguing but got it fixed for free

Advertisement