MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: GP Shift pattern
Dont need it 63 55.75%
I have it and hate it 0 0%
I have it and LOVE it! Its a must! 50 44.25%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #41
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Looks like were tied. Ill flip it after TWS (Texas World Speedway) in November so I have plenty of time to see if I like it and if I do I should be used to it before next season starts

Thanks for you opinions erybody
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To GP Shift or not to GP shift? FKNA Taking it to the Track 38 06-23-2009 02:21 PM
GP Shift? HoustonGixxer Performance and Modifications 31 06-25-2008 07:27 PM
GP Shift conversion BigComfy How To's and Q & A's 22 12-26-2007 03:26 AM
GP shift vs standard level5 Taking it to the Track 69 12-16-2007 01:11 AM
GP Shift Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 09-06-2006 03:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #42
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Do racers clutchless downshift alot? I hear them blipping the throttle, and that's not a clutchless shift is it?

-Curt
even with a slipper clutch...blipping the throttle still helps for smoother shifting. it's a good habit to blip the throttle even with a slipper clutch.

i'll clutchless downshift on the street or during a cool off lap, but while coming into a corner i use the clutch to downshift since i feather out the clutch up until somewhere near the apex.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #43
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I use my clutch to upshift, I use my cluth to downshift, I use it any and everytime I shift. I had an R6 and stripped the tansmission from trying all that clutchless shifting. NEVER AGAIN. I don't want to learn it, it dosnt seem to slow me down. I do BLIP now though and its made a huge difference
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #44
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
I think it's VERY EASY to get used to.... push down to go fast, pull up to slow down. As somebody mentioned previously, it does seem more natural. Why it's backwards, I have no idea. Probably a Brit designed the first motorcycle trans. Ba ha ha ha.

It's all in your head, mind games. I have tried it and screwed up many trackdays almost killing myself all those times for making mistakes because of old habits. Got tired of learning it and now switched it back to standard and still adjusting back to standard/normal.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #45
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me to find that it's 50:50
Woo hoo, he calls it correctly!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #46
GPracer33

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR 600RR
2004 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

With the new slipper clutches that are on the market, you can down shift with out clutch to a point. At a certain R.P.M. the is to much tention on the plates.
GPracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #47
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I use my clutch to upshift, I use my cluth to downshift, I use it any and everytime I shift. I had an R6 and stripped the tansmission from trying all that clutchless shifting. NEVER AGAIN. I don't want to learn it, it dosnt seem to slow me down. I do BLIP now though and its made a huge difference
your conviction suprises me. Good luck with that.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #48
maxgs

Member Garage

We'll get him doing clutchless upshifts. It the clutchless downshifts that I'm not sold on.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #49
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
your conviction suprises me. Good luck with that.
Why? What is wrong with using the clutch up and down?

I only use the clutch down shifting because I have a quick shifter for the up shifts. Before I had the quick shifter, I used the clutch up and down... what's the big deal?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #50
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
blip it to match engine/trans speed and drop the gear.........once you relief pressure off of the gears and its done
OK I'm confused. How do you blip on a clutchless downshift? I can do it in a car or truck but I'm passing thru neutral. How do you do it on a bike?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #51
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
OK I'm confused. How do you blip on a clutchless downshift? I can do it in a car or truck but I'm passing thru neutral. How do you do it on a bike?
Hey, don't be going all technical on us. If the guy can blip the throttle while it's in gear and then downshift, woo hoo! Ba ha ha ha ha.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #52
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Thing is, I was chasing Trevor around Saturday and I saw him downshift a couple times without the clutch. Sounded like he blipped the throttle too, but I just can't make it compute in my old and feeble mind.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #53
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Thing is, I was chasing Trevor around Saturday and I saw him downshift a couple times without the clutch. Sounded like he blipped the throttle too, but I just can't make it compute in my old and feeble mind.
Nor can I...... let's try it on somebody elses bike.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #54
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Why? What is wrong with using the clutch up and down?

I only use the clutch down shifting because I have a quick shifter for the up shifts. Before I had the quick shifter, I used the clutch up and down... what's the big deal?
Nothing really except the idea that it doesn't cost him time. Any time you've got the clutch lever pulled in, you're not accelerating. I could easily see this costing a few tenths a lap, especially on a longer track like TWS (Texas World Speedway)
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 10-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #55
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

While you CAN do clutchless downshifts it is NOT a good idea. I know as soon as I say this someone will say they been doin it for years no problem, but the transmission on a modern bike is not designed for that.
The way the gears engage it is OK to clutchless upshift, with good technique, but downshifting is a good way to tear up some expensive parts.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #56
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Nothing really except the idea that it doesn't cost him time. Any time you've got the clutch lever pulled in, you're not accelerating. I could easily see this costing a few tenths a lap, especially on a longer track like TWS (Texas World Speedway)
Tenths? No. Hundredths or thousands? Maybe.

If pulling in the clutch is costing you time, you've got bigger problems than that (I use the term "you" as a generalization, not directed at any one person).

I see the MotoGP racers using the clutch on downshift all the time, I think they're pretty fast...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #57
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
While you CAN do clutchless downshifts it is NOT a good idea. I know as soon as I say this someone will say they been doin it for years no problem, but the transmission on a modern bike is not designed for that.
The way the gears engage it is OK to clutchless upshift, with good technique, but downshifting is a good way to tear up some expensive parts.
Care to be more technical? The engagement mechanism and action are IDENTICAL upshifting and downshifting. The only difference MIGHT be the amount of torque applied to the engagement dogs at the moment of engagement.

CMRA #302
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #58
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
agreed. clutchless upshifts take a fraction of the time it takes to grab clutch and shift.

and if you need to shift up while leaned over, if you're not smooth with the clutch, it upsets the bike also.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #59
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I tried GP right after I got comfortable on my bike. I still love it some 20,000 miles later.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #60
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Tenths? No. Hundredths or thousands? Maybe.

If pulling in the clutch is costing you time, you've got bigger problems than that (I use the term "you" as a generalization, not directed at any one person).

I see the MotoGP racers using the clutch on downshift all the time, I think they're pretty fast...

The person I was quoting stated that they used the clutch for every single shift (down AND up), every time, without fail, and would NOT do otherwise. If you clutched every single shift you ever did out on the track it'd definetly cost you more than a hundredth. I'd wager that it'd cost you a hundreth of a second every upshift. I'm pretty sure most people shift at least 10 times on a typical lap at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

CMRA #302

Advertisement