MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
AMA Announces New Rules Package

AMA Pro Racing announced today its class structure and weekend event package for the 2009 motorcycle road racing season.

American Superbike will be the new premier class for AMA Pro Racing, and will showcase the traditional 1,000cc machines that competed in the former AMA Superbike class in the past. The new rules for the class are based on rules that were adopted by a committee comprised of the AMA staff, representatives of the various manufacturers, as well as experienced personnel from the American road racing infrastructure. Much of the new class structure has been architected with the participation and counsel of the major motorcycle manufacturers.

The class will adopt a spec tire and spec fuel and features changes that were made as a means to promote parity and to address the ever-escalating costs of competing in professional motorsports programs. American Superbike will compete in two feature races of 50 miles each at most events.

Also featured at all AMA Pro Racing weekends will be a new middleweight class to be known as Daytona SportBike. This class has been designed to include a broad range of competition equipment that formerly competed in AMA Supersport and AMA Formula Xtreme, as well as two- and three-cylinder machines not normally featured in AMA Professional events. This class will make its competition debut in the 2009 Daytona 200 By Honda, America's most prestigious motorcycle event. The green flag will drop on the field for the first time under the lights at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, March 6.

AMA Pro Racing will include a third class, newly created for 2009, known as SuperSport. This category is designed as an entry-level class for professionally licensed riders aged 16-21, competing on 600cc production motorcycles with minimal modifications. Riders will be limited to three years of competition in the new class. SuperSport competition will provide young riders an affordable opportunity to hone their skills at AMA National events and create a clear path to advance to the higher levels of professional road racing.

Many 2009 race weekends will also include the popular Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup. This class showcases future road racing stars aged 14-16 that have been selected for the Series through Red Bull's national competition program.

In addition, the SunTrust MOTO-ST Series is being revamped to include 600cc four-cylinder machines. The structure will go from three classes to two (GT1 and GT2) and will compete at select events, concluding with the 8 Hours At Daytona during Biketoberfest. The revamped program will be renamed SunTrust MOTO-GT.

AMA Pro Racing will review the specific lineup for each event weekend with the event promoters, who will announce their own weekend event schedules.

"The class structure we are announcing today bears little resemblance to that which we proposed several months ago, however I believe it will accomplish our goals of increased safety, parity and cost containment," said Roger Edmondson, President of AMA Pro Racing. "The program we have worked out with input from the industry will provide for participation by a wide variety of brands, and should provide a showcase for the best riders in American racing, with the added benefit of running at the best venues in the United States. We were fortunate to have the assistance of many stakeholders in the creation of the program, including the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC)."

AMA Pro Racing has already released a 12-event schedule for 2009. In addition to its traditional events, pending safety committee input, American Superbikes and the AMA Pro Racing Program will return July 31-August 2 to Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas, for the first time in several years, and make their first visit to New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, N.J., September 4-6.

The complete rulebook will be finalized on November 20th, 2008. If you have questions or comments, please email them to proinfo@amaproracing.com attention: Roy Janson.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote