MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Eric Bostrom: I'm Not Riding In '09

It's no secret that Eric Bostrom and I drove to Daytona together last March after bad weather hit the Atlanta airport. We left ATL at around 6:00 PM in a rental car, stopping just for gas and pair of Subway sandwiches.

We talked about a million different things that night, the car's headlights piercing the darkness towards Florida. Books, movies, the gulf war, dirt bikes, music, fathers, politics, women, coffee, kids, our mutual hatred for network television and the like. Eric is a pretty deep guy, a very cerebral sort of renaissance fellow with a million interests outside of racing, so the words flowed easy.

He said several profound things on that drive, one of which I'll share here. I told him that what scared me the most about getting older is the time acceleration factor, that days grow into months and into years so much faster as you age. After I said this, I asked Eric if that was his perception as well and really expected him to empathize. Most people over thirty do agree, almost universally, with the time acceleration declaration.

Eric didn't.

He said that for him, days pass very slowly and that he is mindful of each one as much as possible. He said that when he feels the days slipping by quickly, he takes that as a warning sign that he needs to stop and examine his life and figure out what is causing the time accelerator to kick in. And to stop it.

After Laguna Seca I asked Eric if he really wanted to race in 2009 and I could see in his eyes that he was mulling over a dilemma.

He called today and said that after some serious thought, he won't be racing in 2009. He stopped short of saying that he would now be retiring from racing, but did say that he wanted to take some time away, and "figure some sh*t out". Eric has property in California and also in South America and he said he'll be spending a lot of his time south of the border in 2009.

"For 21 years I've had the same goal, trying to be the fastest and win races. It's been an amazing experience but right now I need to take a break," he said. "I'm going to be working with the land next year and after that we'll see. I've felt more enlightened since I made this decision than I have in a long time."

"I'm not leaving the sport forever," Bostrom said, "I think what Ben proved this year is that you can come back and if the team is right and things are right in your head you can come back and make a mark. I'm not that old and I think also what you saw this year with Troy Bayliss is a good example too. You can come back and be at the top of your game."

We wish "EBoz" well and hope his days continue to go slowly.

by dean adams
Friday, October 24, 2008
superbikeplanet.com
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC ROMAN!!! Forever Riding Free Candy Off Topic 16 07-30-2011 05:11 AM
7/14/09 Anyone riding tonight? Intrinzik Events, Meets and Rides 20 07-14-2009 09:32 PM
ANYONE out riding this Sun 6/14/09? Tin Man Events, Meets and Rides 4 06-13-2009 08:11 AM
Anyone riding 3/8/09 in Katy Evrybhdy Events, Meets and Rides 38 03-08-2009 09:37 PM
Anyone from Humble riding to Eric's waketoday? Racer X 05 Events, Meets and Rides 2 05-12-2007 12:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
mike

Member Garage

Hmm .. sounds like a classic case of burnout to me. After doing the "same thing" for that long you need to reset sometimes.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

well jody, need a new road buddy?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
It's no secret that Eric Bostrom and I drove to Daytona together last March after bad weather hit the Atlanta airport. We left ATL at around 6:00 PM in a rental car, stopping just for gas and pair of Subway sandwiches.

We talked about a million different things that night, the car's headlights piercing the darkness towards Florida. Books, movies, the gulf war, dirt bikes, music, fathers, politics, women, coffee, kids, our mutual hatred for network television and the like. Eric is a pretty deep guy, a very cerebral sort of renaissance fellow with a million interests outside of racing, so the words flowed easy.

He said several profound things on that drive, one of which I'll share here. I told him that what scared me the most about getting older is the time acceleration factor, that days grow into months and into years so much faster as you age. After I said this, I asked Eric if that was his perception as well and really expected him to empathize. Most people over thirty do agree, almost universally, with the time acceleration declaration.

Eric didn't.

He said that for him, days pass very slowly and that he is mindful of each one as much as possible. He said that when he feels the days slipping by quickly, he takes that as a warning sign that he needs to stop and examine his life and figure out what is causing the time accelerator to kick in. And to stop it.

After Laguna Seca I asked Eric if he really wanted to race in 2009 and I could see in his eyes that he was mulling over a dilemma.

He called today and said that after some serious thought, he won't be racing in 2009. He stopped short of saying that he would now be retiring from racing, but did say that he wanted to take some time away, and "figure some sh*t out". Eric has property in California and also in South America and he said he'll be spending a lot of his time south of the border in 2009.

"For 21 years I've had the same goal, trying to be the fastest and win races. It's been an amazing experience but right now I need to take a break," he said. "I'm going to be working with the land next year and after that we'll see. I've felt more enlightened since I made this decision than I have in a long time."

"I'm not leaving the sport forever," Bostrom said, "I think what Ben proved this year is that you can come back and if the team is right and things are right in your head you can come back and make a mark. I'm not that old and I think also what you saw this year with Troy Bayliss is a good example too. You can come back and be at the top of your game."

We wish "EBoz" well and hope his days continue to go slowly.

by dean adams
Friday, October 24, 2008
superbikeplanet.com
Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
StewRat
Hive Investigator

Feedback Rating: (2)

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

This reminds me of something that could be in "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote