MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Question Suspension and spring rates?

Is there any way I can find out what spring rate I need for my suspension. I know I have called all the experts, I am just trying to learn this stuff and didnt know if any of you more experienced racers had any knowledge you were willing to share.

I am looking at buying a used Penske double clicker for my track only 04 CBR 600RR. It has a 6X700 spring rate on ther now (thats what he told me) and only has 6 trackdays since it was serviced by the Penske people in PA.

Info, smart A-$-$ remarks, comments, thread whor-ing, it's all allowed,. but I would prefer to stick to knowledge and experience here!

Thankg guys!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biker Down - Spring - Spring - Stuebner at Rothwood tbertw General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-23-2010 11:51 AM
Need some going market rates please. txferrari Off Topic 14 01-20-2009 05:20 PM
Electricity Rates Ogre Off Topic 6 01-15-2009 03:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

call Motorcycles Unlimited dont mess around guessing or you will hate yourself. Patrick chime in and help this bro out.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

Not sure if different manufactures label spring rates differently.

Here is racetech's info though:

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchstreet.asp
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Man, you're gonna get a lot of different answers here, so let me be among the first. With your limited knowledge of the subject, (no offense, of course), you'd be best served taking you and your bike to someone who can set the bike up for you. (Raceworx's Jimmy Cambora comes to mind first, but he's in the DFW area. RoadandTrack's Keith Hertell is a pretty solid bet, too, but he's in the SA area.) Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited is local and knows what he's doing - probably your best bet right there. Have someone who knows set-up get the bike in the ballpark for you. They'll choose springs - front and rear - that will be well suited for your weight, riding level and riding style. Once your legs are set-up, you rarely have to make major changes, so getting it right the first time is pretty important.

DIY for suspension stuff should be left to 1) those with some experience and/or 2) those who don't mind getting it wrong before they get it right

Perhaps the first thing you should do is Google suspension set-up and read a few articles. Get familair with the terminology.

Here's a Google result that is helpful. There are tons more out there.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/informa...ion_set-up.htm

Last edited by Racer997; 10-24-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Racer,
I figured as much as do not plan on doing ne thing myself, What I am trying to get here is am I better suited to pick up this shock and have it rebuilt (money wise) or getting a new one set up.

Sorry If I did not come across clear. I want this based off of the information I gave about that particular shock! Assuming I get it between 3 and 400 bux can I have it set up for me for fairly cheap or will I end up better off getting a new one.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

More food for thought, pick a builder/tuner and stick with them. The ones Racer997 listed are very good. I'd add Billy Wiese to that list, he is in the New Braunsfels area. Patrick certainly gets my vote, esspecially because he is local. DON'T LET ANYONE FIDDLE WITH YOUR BIKE EXCEPT THAT TUNER. If your at the track and that particular tuner is not there, call them. Don't let people adjust anything on the bike. For the first time, in a long time Jim Cambora was not at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this past weekend, and I can bet money his phone was ringing off the hook. His riders did not just try something or have another rider do anything to thier bikes. They called Jim or just rode around it.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Dude call Penske let them tell you what spring you need, and the base pre-load setting for said spring. Then buy it, and then put it on. Then go to any trackday and have your suspension setup trackside. No black magic involved. I think valving is a differant matter, but you can handle swapping a spring. (Puts on flame suit..)
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
More food for thought, pick a builder/tuner and stick with them. The ones Racer997 listed are very good. I'd add Billy Wiese to that list, he is in the New Braunsfels area. Patrick certainly gets my vote, esspecially because he is local. DON'T LET ANYONE FIDDLE WITH YOUR BIKE EXCEPT THAT TUNER. If your at the track and that particular tuner is not there, call them. Don't let people adjust anything on the bike. For the first time, in a long time Jim Cambora was not at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this past weekend, and I can bet money his phone was ringing off the hook. His riders did not just try something or have another rider do anything to thier bikes. They called Jim or just rode around it.
thanks sounds like really good advice! I will do that!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
+10000000000000
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Staying local would defintely be your best option as already stated.

But I'm just going to throw this guy's name out there. He's from NC, and did a lot of work for me and some buddies of mine when I lived there. He's a Deal's Gap regular, and I have yet to meet anyone that knows as much about suspension as him. Just be careful though, once you get him started talking about suspension on the phone, it's sometimes hard to get him to stop.

It's a family owned shop, and customer service is amazing. He basically does a lot of work for a lot of the racers out East and the agrresive street riders that frequent the Dragon's Tail.

You basically have so many options down here, you can't even count them on one hand. I'll speak from personal experience that Patrick knows what he's doing, and offers amazing customer service. But if your ever wanting to look for someone new, or if any one happens to move out eastward, Rick @ Cogent Dynamics would probably be the one you want touching your forks or shock.

http://motocd.com/index.php?option=c...tpage&Itemid=1

OH, and if you ever make a trip to Deal's Gap, he lives right around there and spends his off time embarrising people going down the Dragon. Give him a ring and you might catch him there! He would be more than willing to help give you a decent set-up to keep you from running off the mountain.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
call patrick 281-444-0545

he can help you with all your suspension needs. nothin beats a local guy that knows his .

btw, spring rating is not determined by weight alone. it's also determined by rider style. get with patrick, and be sure to give your exact weight (some people lie about their weight cuz they are either too fat or too skinny and embarassed by it), and also describe your exact riding style and experience level (just like the weight thing, people will lie about how fast they really are, be truthful...or you'll beat yourself up when the bike won't tune how you need it)

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
call patrick 281-444-0545

he can help you with all your suspension needs. nothin beats a local guy that knows his .
btw, spring rating is not determined by weight alone. it's also determined by rider style. get with patrick, and be sure to give your exact weight (some people lie about their weight cuz they are either too fat or too skinny and embarassed by it), and also describe your exact riding style and experience level (just like the weight thing, people will lie about how fast they really are, be truthful...or you'll beat yourself up when the bike won't tune how you need it)
+1
Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

ive already spoken with Motorcycles Unlimited!!! my concern was it worth it to buy used and have serviced and new spring.!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
ive already spoken with Motorcycles Unlimited!!! my concern was it worth it to buy used and have serviced and new spring.!!!!
Usually not. Everyone who is selling a used Ohlins or Penske wants to get all of their money back. If you have to have it serviced or a new spring, you just lost all the savings of buying your own with your spring on it.

+1 to going to the RaceTech site for their spring calculator, but +100000 for going to your local Houston suspension guys for support.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
It just depends on how much you get the shock for.
FYI - A Penske is cheaper to rebuild and get parts for.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

Quote:
Is there any way I can find out what spring rate I need for my suspension. I know I have called all the experts, I am just trying to learn this stuff and didnt know if any of you more experienced racers had any knowledge you were willing to share.

I am looking at buying a used Penske double clicker for my track only 04 CBR 600RR. It has a 6X700 spring rate on ther now (thats what he told me) and only has 6 trackdays since it was serviced by the Penske people in PA.

Info, smart A-$-$ remarks, comments, thread whor-ing, it's all allowed,. but I would prefer to stick to knowledge and experience here!

Thankg guys!

go to racetech website or just send in your forks to traxxion 700$ for valving and spring.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Usually not. Everyone who is selling a used Ohlins or Penske wants to get all of their money back. If you have to have it serviced or a new spring, you just lost all the savings of buying your own with your spring on it.

+1 to going to the RaceTech site for their spring calculator, but +100000 for going to your local Houston suspension guys for support.

ill put my money on sending the forks to traxxion.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
ill put my money on sending the forks to traxxion.
That's nice. I'll spend mine locally with our site sponsors and others who support CMRA racing from folks I KNOW will support me and do the job right.

But you can send your stuff to Max if you want, it's no skin off my nose.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Im with you Tom. And the locals will help dial it in as well since they spend their money/time coming to the track to support us.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

+1111111111111

Advertisement