MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Parking question for bikes.

Ive been hesitant to park in places not specifically designated for Motorcycles, yet I see them parked in sporadic places outside various venues.

So whats the deal, is it simply take your chances are is there a set place where it's legal to park? Restaraunts, bars...etc...
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking downtown for bikes? gtdrivr General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-23-2013 10:39 AM
Replacing parking meters with kiosks at every block = win for bikes. eltejano Off Topic 8 07-22-2011 08:23 PM
When you don't want your bikes stolen from the motel parking lot... TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 04-03-2007 08:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Drumboy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I think that as long as you're not blocking a sidewalk or wheelchair ramp then it's up to the property owner and it's not really good business to tow patron's vehicles. I do it all time and have never had a problem, but I've seen bikes downtown parked on the curb with tickets on them.

I park at the saucer on the curb all the time and have never had a problem but the manager told me that there's one cop that patrols downtown (sgt. ) that give tickets to bikes there.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
andrave

yeah and draw attention to your self and risk putting your bike in a place that people will finger it and delivery trucks or garbage trucks or traffic may no see it and hit it???

I dunno I'm pretty much a "normal parking spot" only person, unless they have motorcycle specific parking.

I consider the ppl that park sporadically douche bags. Now there are exceptions... if I ride to the movies, I defintely park near a pole or tree to cable lock to, and if there isn't one available I'll pull up on the sidewalk if I have to. And at some restaurants (like hooters) they will have a place where "everyone always parks" and you know I mean.. if I roll in and there are already six bikes parked in a row on the sidewalk i will park next to them.

But for the most part it just seems like askin for trouble. If its a high theft area you could park it in front of the window but maybe you should just not leave your bike in that kind of place.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

It just depends on the situation if I'll park in a random spot or not but you can't get mad when you get a ticket, park at your own risk.
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
i usually take my bike out to ride... i dont really park much... eating lunch i guess, but i dont take the bike to the movies, or the mall, or the store... you cant buy anything, and if your going to the movies why not take the car? i have full cov. ins. + theft but i would still b worried sick that my bike was getting stolen... do you ever worry someone is stealing your bike????
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If bouncers or establishments are cool w you parking there, then ur good. If its a public sidewalk, that's your choice(w the cops.)

For Godsakes, dont block a ramp or anywhere that would restrict mobility for someone that couldnt otherwise get around you, seriously...
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
i usually take my bike out to ride... i dont really park much... eating lunch i guess, but i dont take the bike to the movies, or the mall, or the store... you cant buy anything, and if your going to the movies why not take the car? i have full cov. ins. + theft but i would still b worried sick that my bike was getting stolen... do you ever worry someone is stealing your bike????
Wrong if you have the trunk the size of a Busa you can Buy a whole lot of stuff I always take the Busa shopping with me ... I buy everything from Milk to eggs and those large 52 load Tide liquid washing machince soap
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I have a bungee cargo net which stretches to gargantuan proportions and I can pretty much go all out grocery shopping with the KLR, especially if I have my backpack and/or tank bag.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

park where you want, just don't whine if you get a ticket.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

I have just enough room for the PC III in the tail never take the bike shopping
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #12
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
If I'm going somewhere new I ask someone that works there in the know where I'm allowed to park. Most are nice and I then move my bike in the safest spot they say.

Mrs. T , why worry about your bike being stolen? That's why I pay insurance. I usually don't take my bike all over as I like to keep it mainly for recreation, but the fear of it being stolen alone will not stop me from riding it somewhere.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
andrave

Lock up your bike everytime. cable lock around a permanent object + 120db alarmed disc lock. Aside from full coverage its the best prevention you can get and pretty cheap too.

There have been times when a bike was my only vehicle so I've found with a strap or two and a milk crate you can get all the groceries you need for a week or so. cargo nets are awesome too.. amazing what you can do with those (everything except buy bread and flowers, lol)
Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Anywhere it's the safest to not get a ticket and where people won't finger fck -- that's my main concern.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement