MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Front suspension ?

I noticed on my last Saturday trackday riding the Daytona at MSR-H that everytime I rounded the bus stop and got into the throttle in the back sweeper that my front end was trying to slap around on me. Not bad enough to be overly concerned but noticeable.

On Sunday, I wound up riding the CBR on the same line and it never happened.

Here are the facts.

The Daytona suspension was set up for me but I have lost almost 30 lbs since then. The Honda is the factory setup but it feels good. Both have the factory steering dampers. I don't know enough to really determine if the suspension is off. My gut tells me the front preload may be too stiff but I can't get to anyone to have it readjusted before GSS.

If I decide to back off on the preload, how much should I start with and how do I really know when it's right? If I adjust preload do I adjust rebound and damping too?

Other than being told so by a suspension guru, how does one truly know when the suspension is set up correctly?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03-04 636 OHLINS FRONT SUSPENSION FOR 175 LB RIDER SONNY DEE Taking it to the Track 0 02-01-2010 09:27 PM
SV1000 Front Suspension Upgrade. Wormgear Taking it to the Track 3 07-10-2009 01:21 AM
Front Suspension???? THE DEAN OF LEAN Taking it to the Track 13 10-27-2008 06:29 PM
Matris front 25mm front fork cartridge kits 0oAndyo0 Taking it to the Track 15 10-15-2007 09:28 PM
Bike problem.. Front Suspension Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 02-10-2006 11:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Being GSS is so much slower than MSRH, I'd ride it first and see how it feels before I did anything. Either that or call Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and discuss it with him. I am sure he can give you some direction over the phone. I know he has helped me plenty with just a phone call.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'm definitely gonna ride it but I don't like to bother Patrick with questions when he can be spending his time with a paying customer.

I really would like to hear some thoughts and answers to my last question. Inquiring newbie minds want to know.

Other than being told so by a suspension guru, how does one truly know when the suspension is set up correctly?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post

It's all feel. The cool thing about dealing with a tuner like Patrick or Jim Cambora is that they can ask you questions about certain corners and how the bike is acting, then turn a few screws, and viola', you're golden.

Over time, you learn to articulate what is working and where, and what is NOT working and where to get the point across to the tuner for what to adjust- rebound, damping, compression, preload, etc.

Do some internet research about what each of the adjustments on your bike does. It can give you a good starting point to trying your hand at tuning. Some of my friends that I race with are really good at tuning too, and they just learned by doing.

Personally, I have Patrick or Brandon do mine, it's much easier and they always seem to hit the mark

Advertisement