MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
You are remembering correctly. Biaggi's heart rate was way up there.
Given Biaggi's tiny little size...180bpm sounds about right for a normal HR
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Taking it to the Track 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Motorcycle Articles 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
maxgs

Member Garage

Ha ha ha ha. So mine should be what? 40 bpm?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNBULLET View Post
NO NO TOM! I wasn't dissagreeing with you, I was agreeing with you, that those guys dont even think about being out of control, for them that is being in control!
I disagree with you Tom...What were we talking about?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNBULLET View Post
NO NO TOM! I wasn't dissagreeing with you, I was agreeing with you, that those guys dont even think about being out of control, for them that is being in control!

I guess I mis-understood (notice I didn't say I was "wrong")

J/K

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #25
BKLYNBULLET
OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

I guess I mis-understood (notice I didn't say I was "wrong")

J/K

By the way man I had a great time on friday! LSTD ROCKS!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #26
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsucki View Post
Nothing can compare to all of the emotions of racing. I don’t know what is greater:

The butterflies and knots in your stomach as you sit on the grid waiting

The sudden and overwhelming calm when the flag drops, the light goes green, or the gates drop

The “IN YOUR FACE” feeling of pulling a holeshot

The surge of adrenaline from a perfect block pass

The joy of taking the checkered

Nothing in this world can remotely compare to any of those.
you should write ads for Yamaha.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #27
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

It's funny how the slowest guys on the track act like they know everything about racing.

Ty Howard is as fast/ faster than all those dudes, and he doesn't look out of shape or out of control at all. He's also a backmarker in "pro" competition for perspective.
For your info: In 2006 AMA FX, Ty Howard finished 8th Overall with 3-6th places and 2-7th place finishes.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #28
maxgs

Member Garage

I know what looks out of shape to me, even following you around Mr. Whoopie, probably isn't even a blip on your radar screen. Heck, my tires start slipping and I get major pucker...

Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
It's funny how the slowest guys on the track act like they know everything about racing.

Ty Howard is as fast/ faster than all those dudes, and he doesn't look out of shape or out of control at all. He's also a backmarker in "pro" competition for perspective.
For your info: In 2006 AMA FX, Ty Howard finished 8th Overall with 3-6th places and 2-7th place finishes.
So, I'm the "slowest guy on the track"? I'm not acting like I know everything about racing, but I've been doing it for a lot longer than you and I know all these guys and have raced with them too!

I know Ty finished in FX 2 years ago well, and the year previous to that too- but when he ran Superstock and Superbike, he was a backmarker- the guys running FX that year were also not the top guys that were running the bigger classes.

I'll do you one better with your stats too- in 2005 if I'm not mistaken (this is from memory), he had several top 5 finishes in FX So did the other rider with Rockwall Honda Ryan Andrews.

But what do I know, I'm the slowest guy on the track and Alan has a ton more experience racing than I do.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #30
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

T1 in anyrace is a HUGE rush.... like nothing else!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #31
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
If your undies are still white, you are not trying hard enough. Racing is THE biggest rush on a bike you can get. I can lay in bed at night and think about gridding up and going into T1 and my heart starts to race. Really!! At my age I'm not sure that is a good thing. Thank for Formula 40.........
reading or thinking about racing makes my heart race already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Makes sense... hence Rossi's 120 heart rate!
That's nothing, it's like jogging or walking to some people.

To have a beat of 180, you really have to be seeing .
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
You must have been talking to Larry...

He's being dramatic, but if you watch the fast guys race, that's the way it looks. But if you talk to any of them candidly, they don't even know it's like that.

Dustin Dominguez, Dane Westby, Derek Wagnon, and a couple others look like they're going to bin it in every corner entry and exit, but they don't even remember wtf you're talking about when you say "man, I thought you were going to toss it away in turn ", they'll usually respond with, "eh, I don't remember being out of shape, felt good to me".

Look at the AMA Pro racers and WSBK. While in some corners they look like they're losing traction or getting out of shape in corners and exits, for the majority of them, they don't look that way.

BTW, it takes a LONG time to get to that point where you can ride like that, and a LOT of seat time too. Very few (that are older than ~20) can ride like that early in their track "career".

If you get to the point where you're feeling out of shape and like you're going to crash in every/ any corner, you're just riding over your head as a rider who's new to the track, and chances are, you're going to bin it.

The more experienced racers can do some things that are like that, but only after years of practice or tons of seat time.

All that said...
The times you have moments of shear terror in a race, are also the times you'll look back on with great pride and excitement if you save it! There's nothing like the first time you save a front end tuck, or the first time you spin it up on corner exit heading for a low side but are able to get it right and pointed the right direction... after you start breathing again!

i have to agree with Tom. I was in turn 9 sat (turn 10 on track days) and seeing Dustin Dominguez come into it was entirely different than Ty Howard. These two were neck in neck the while time and would pass each other every other lap.

Dustin seemed like he was sliding and loosing traction entering the turn and Ty didnt. I dont know who when where how or why, but I seen it and so I believe it. Dustin is also alot younger than Ty tho he is just as fast/faster. Experience???? prolly so
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #33
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

not saying that dustin was out of control or loosing control, that may be the way he rides, it just scared the begonias out of me
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #34
launchpad199

when your at the back of the field usually you dont have the opertunity to see what the fast guys are actually doing, tom
Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounchpad199 View Post
when your at the back of the field usually you dont have the opertunity to see what the fast guys are actually doing, tom
WOW!!!! OWNED!!!

I wish I could post some owned pics from my phone!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #36
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
If your undies are still white, you are not trying hard enough. Racing is THE biggest rush on a bike you can get. I can lay in bed at night and think about gridding up and going into T1 and my heart starts to race. Really!! At my age I'm not sure that is a good thing. Thank for Formula 40.........

LMAO I thought I was the only one who did that. Heart racing, reflux burning me up inside from the tension, sweaty palms. It's nuts.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

simmer down now boys....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Dustin Dominguez, Dane Westby, Derek Wagnon, and a couple others look like they're going to bin it in every corner entry and exit, but they don't even remember wtf you're talking about when you say "man, I thought you were going to toss it away in turn ", they'll usually respond with, "eh, I don't remember being out of shape, felt good to me".

Dominguez was looking calm as this past weekend out in front of Spraggle...I think I saw him look back and wave a few times :p

and off topic, didn't either Westby or Wagnon break Ty's record at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend?
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #39
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounchpad199 View Post
OK "lounchpad"

Not sure how that applies to me, but oh yeah, you got me bad! I'm not sure how this applies to me, but apparently, you got me bad with that "opertunity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsucki View Post
WOW!!!! OWNED!!!

I wish I could post some owned pics from my phone!
Tim, you could do it if you weren't palming Larry's sack and going for the t-bag. Makes it easier to use a phone if you're not doing trying to multi-task like that.

Besides, I don't recall ever seeing you race anything except for a kid's bike Tim... are you actually qualified to talk about racing a big bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicious
and off topic, didn't either Westby or Wagnon break Ty's record at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend?
Dane did.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #40
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

so much ownage here..... old men and their games. lol