MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Electronics help: Suzuki M50 tail light

Quick question in case someone out there knows.

There are times when I shut off my bike and the rear tail light stays on.
None of the other lights stay on, only the tail light (*NOT* the brake light).
I can mash the brakes and the tail light lights up with the brakes, and I've checked both the brake switches' operation ok.

All I have to do is insert the key and turn ignition to on (everything lights up), then just turn it back off and it will shut off. Problem is that if I stop somewhere during daylight and not notice, battery might drain?

Even though I've been working in electronics field half my life, I know next to nothing about bike electronics, but my guess is that there's some kind of relay for this light. I would have imagined they would have all been on the same relay since they're always on together, but obviously not. Anyway, my first thought it to swap relays with the headlight (if they are the same) to see if problem follows, unless someone else can shed some info. (Haven't cause I dont know where the relays are, but I'm sure I can find them).

This bike's electronics are probably similar to S50, C50, C90, M95, M109.

Any ideas appreciated.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tires for my Suzuki M50 cruiser Helios Gear Talk 7 10-26-2008 07:53 PM
Suzuki Boulevard M50 Zapata Cruisers Lounge 19 07-13-2005 11:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
m109runner
lighting guru

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
i have an m109 and if i turn the key just past the off position my rear running light stays on also. but i can also take the key out while the light stays on . not quite sure why this is a feature but its there....

my buddy has a m50 that you can turn the ignition barrel with the edge of the key without putting the key in all the way. doesnt make sence to me but thats what it does.

good luck with it. sorry i couldnt be of more help.

by the way if your tail light is an LED type i wouldnt worry about draining the battery. LED's on average only pull about 26 milliamps. almost nothing for that 12 volt battery.

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by m109runner View Post
i have an m109 and if i turn the key just past the off position my rear running light stays on also. but i can also take the key out while the light stays on . not quite sure why this is a feature but its there....

my buddy has a m50 that you can turn the ignition barrel with the edge of the key without putting the key in all the way. doesnt make sence to me but thats what it does.

good luck with it. sorry i couldnt be of more help.

by the way if your tail light is an LED type i wouldnt worry about draining the battery. LED's on average only pull about 26 milliamps. almost nothing for that 12 volt battery.
Hey thanks, it's good to know that at least it's not a wiring or electrical issue. I can start to troubleshoot (or ask Suzuki for info on this "feature") from this angle instead of tearing it apart!
You're right, it is the LED brake light type and I was pretty sure they don't pull alot of current but I wasn't aware it was that low!
Thanks for the info!
If I figure out what that feature is for, I will post and let you know. If it was integrated, it must mean something...

Last edited by a forum moderator; 10-20-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Hey M109runner, I finally found a really good answer to my question. Like you said, there is an ignition position for this feature, it's called "Park". One of the guys on another site told me that if I stall on the road and have to pull over at night, I'll be visible and wont get smashed into! good reason!
Just wanted to share the info, man!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I was just gonna say most if not all bikes have a park position on the switch that allows the tail/park light to stay on, just watch where U put the key when U turn it off
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I was just gonna say most if not all bikes have a park position on the switch that allows the tail/park light to stay on, just watch where U put the key when U turn it off
Ahhh... good info for a newb! I just never knew this, so when I came out and saw that my light had been on for hours, I thought I'd screwed something up!

Advertisement