MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

and so the time came for my first race weekend...

First I have to give props and shout out all the people that made my weekend possible. Matt thanks for let me use your trailer (even tho n/m thats for later). Tim for hooking me up with a credit and leathers, TTD for letting me hit their trackpipe. (Hi my name is Dean and im a track-a-holic) LSTD for having me! Gabe for letting me take the class even though I was 5 hours late Linz for hauling my up to TWS (Texas World Speedway) the first time I rode track and telling me what it was all about, all the sound advice he gave me, and introducing me to the CMRA crowd (all the important people.lol)

Ok so my weekend went like this...

Up at 4:20 am with no alarm. I am guessing I was a little excited and nervous at the same time. I have only been riding track for less than two months, bought a dedicated trackbike and decided i'd like to do endurance next year. (It's a great way to get a lot of seat time for cheap) So yeah exicted and nervous. Loaded up, gassed up hit the store for ice and was on the road for 5:15 am. It wasn't 15 minutes later (from Baytown to Channelview) that my day went down hill. Cruising dwn I-10 at 65 and then the road got real bumpy, except that it never stopped. I pulled over and notice I had a blow out. Keep in mind this is a borrowed trailer. Decided it was too dangerous to sit there so with my flashers on I slowly crept at 10 MPH to the first gas station. I went inside asked for the nearest tire place and then the phonebook. I couldnt find anyone open so the clerk told me less than a mile away was a Discount Tire. I sat here from 6-8 when they finally opened. They had some tires in stock, but then the guy tells me the other tire was 12 years old and bad too. "Change it", I said. So 9:00am and I was on the road. Once again I called a friend (yes I consider you a new friend Tim) and he helped me get in touch with LSTD. They said it was ok to still come the class wouldnt start until noon.

Drama is not over yet. I am from New Orleans and not familiar with these here parts. So me knowing TWS (Texas World Speedway) is on higway 6 I cruised down I-10 til I hit HWY 6. After frustration and uncertainty set in I ralized I was now on 1960 As I approached 45 I pulled in and asked how did I get to HWY 6. Got directions and hit the Belt. Still unsure as to where I am going I hit up my buddy Matt. He gives me directions (I still got off at HWY 6 south and 1960) But I got the rig aimed in the right direction and TWS (Texas World Speedway) here I come.

Linz is the man. He must have traveled that road a 1000 times. He asked where I was and told me exactly when I would be there (seriously- to the minute) (Dean you will be here in 8 minuytes) I replied more like 12. But nope it was 8 minutes later and I was pulling into the tunnel. I couldnt find a spot to pit and said fluck it. Unloaded the bike in the middle of nowhere and headed for Tech. They lined me up with Gabe to do the school. The look on my face must have been worth my weight in gold when he told me they already did the rider's school. I told him my story and he didn't hesitate to do it especially for me! (thanks a million Gabe) BTW, after your lil get off hope you remember who I am!

To compound my problems, I needed to get some track time in before the mock race. With out having time to stretch, clear my head or take a deep breathe I suited up and hit the track. This was prolly a bad decision b/c I was not feeling it. I didn't know my lines and made the mistake of trying to keep up with the fast guys who had been there all morning.

GABE pulled me aside and set me straight. Linz told me to get back out ther and I did, only this time not trying to push my pace or out ride myself. I had a better session and felt better about the mock race coming up. You have to go slow to go fast. So after only two sessions they made the call. It went off without a hitch and I even didnt finish last

Thats just Friday.

The rest of the weekend was awesome! I got to watch Dustin Dominguez and Ty Howard go elbow to elbow for several races-seeing one be in the lead in turn 9 and next time around the other was. It was my first time seeing Ty and Dustin and they are a blast to watch. Got to watch the track record get broken and see 163 mph clocked on the long straight heading into turn one (Dane Westby) Overall I am proud to announce that I am CMRA racer #380.

to sum up my first race weekend experience let me give you this.

LSTD rider's school $75
2 new tires for a borrowed trailer $150
the opportunity to see Dane Westby break Ty Howards track record, twice~PRICELESSS!

Tom~thanks for everything also! Anyone else I forgot I am sorry, but Ya'll are awesome too!

A special shout out to all the MH guys that were out there. I was def rooting for all of you!!! Ya'll did good and looked good! See ya'll soon!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My race weekend exalted512 Taking it to the Track 8 11-12-2014 03:12 PM
Sport Bike Track Time at NOLA this Weekend 5/3-5/4 (share a ride?) jb.junior Taking it to the Track 0 04-29-2014 12:07 PM
Any have free time this weekend?! chriscole General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-07-2014 02:59 PM
First race weekend andygill17 Taking it to the Track 10 09-28-2011 11:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
R6Nick
Ultimate Traffic Stopper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
03 Yamaha R6
08 CRF Fiddy

bro---sounds like you had 1 of a DAY!!! Glad you got through it though!!! I am fixin to do my first trackday at MSRH on 11/1.....I SO CAN'T WAIT!!! But once again---glad everything turned out somewhat cool for ya!!!!

signaturecoachdavecopy
R6Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
mike

Member Garage

Wow .. what a day. Glad it worked out for you and you ended up having a great time. The morning sessions were cold and wet so you didn't miss much Congrats on the license.

Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Glad you had a good weekend even if it started off kind of crazy!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Way to Dean!!! That's my boy!!!!!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
SHORTY79
ride or die

dean sounded like u had a day
SHORTY79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
99 Chris
Banned

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Irish
The Dogs Bollocks

Bike(s):
06 Suzuki 750

Send a message via MSN to Irish
Jobs a goodin lad, congrats.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Yeah, and you just thought track days were an "addiction"... wait until next season, then you'll know what addiction is really about!

I'm glad you made it out there Dean, it always gives me a bit of a rush to see prov-novs finish the school and get their license!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Yeah, and you just thought track days were an "addiction"... wait until next season, then you'll know what addiction is really about!

I'm glad you made it out there Dean, it always gives me a bit of a rush to see prov-novs finish the school and get their license!
Tom i totally agree!

Let me take a second to tell all the track guys about the mock race. You take your warm up lap, and grid. Then the board goes up and your off! next thing you know they got all these fast guys passing your real close in corners then pulling back just really simulating a mock race! Thats the most fun I hve ever had on a bike! I really hope to get as much seat time as I can between now and next season!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
Tom i totally agree!

Let me take a second to tell all the track guys about the mock race. You take your warm up lap, and grid. Then the board goes up and your off! next thing you know they got all these fast guys passing your real close in corners then pulling back just really simulating a mock race! Thats the most fun I hve ever had on a bike! I really hope to get as much seat time as I can between now and next season!
I'll be hitting OHR as much as I can this off season. You're welcome to come with me, there's usually a few folks there on most days and Aaron Gore lives there with his boy during the weekends!

The object of the mock race is to pass the students and then let them pass us back to evaluate how well they perform in those close situations. Hopefully it gives a good idea how they will do during real race conditions.

Sometimes, ego gets the better of us and we take off after each other... well, I don't do that any more since I got yelled at...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

lol....yeah it was fun! none of the prov novs crashed! (wink)
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Congrats Dean! Just wait till next season during your first RACE...it has prolly been the biggest rush of my life....
Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Outstanding !!!!! You told me you were gonna do this and you certainly did. Keep writing so that some of us old guys can live vicariously thru you.

Way to go, Dean!!
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Glad I could help, Dean. The first race weekend is always hectic and a little scary even without all the drama you had before you unloaded the trailer. If you race long enough, you'll have some kind of horror story like this to tell. Hopefully yours is out of the way now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'll be hitting OHR as much as I can this off season. You're welcome to come with me, there's usually a few folks there on most days and Aaron Gore lives there with his boy during the weekends!
Remember we talked of this, right Dean? Do this. Cheap track day. For many, Oak Hill is a love / hate affair, but many of America's greatest racers have been groomed there, such as Spencer, Polen, Russell, Edwards, Hayden, and Spies (just to name a few). If you can go fast there, you can go fast anywhere. And Aaron Gore is good people.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #16
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Remember we talked of this, right Dean? Do this. Cheap track day. For many, Oak Hill is a love / hate affair, but many of America's greatest racers have been groomed there, such as Spencer, Polen, Russell, Edwards, Hayden, and Spies (just to name a few). If you can go fast there, you can go fast anywhere. And Aaron Gore is good people.
Slightly off topic but can non licensed racers (aka mere mortals like me) go to OHR and rent it?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Slightly off topic but can non licensed racers (aka mere mortals like me) go to OHR and rent it?

Thanks,
Mike
lower life forms have to wait for LSTD to rent it and go with them
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Dean, I was quite surprised to answer my phone to you on the other end Glad you finally made it to the track and even happier to see you have such a good time!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post

Thanks,
Mike
No. You have to have a CMRA race license to rent Oak Hill.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #20
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Congrats Dean!!! Sounds like a weekend you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Advertisement