MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Question How Many Track Guys/Racers Do Not Ride The Streets Anymore.....

and why?

I quit riding the streets in early 07. After burying numerous friends over the years, and growing tired of having a huge red target on my back while riding the streets of Houston. Every time I rode the streets, I always had at least 1 near miss with a cager, so I gave up the streets. Besides, the track is always much safer, and much more fun!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racers and Track Whores... A question for all. NewRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 03-06-2013 01:28 AM
Flat Track Racers Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-04-2012 06:17 AM
How will a track day help you on Houston streets? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 82 12-01-2010 03:40 PM
does anyone ride 50s anymore? federal20 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 42 10-31-2008 11:52 PM
ama racers vs. wsbk guys... TWISTED METAL Taking it to the Track 27 12-29-2007 10:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Gixxer-Joy
Banned

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
K8 GSXR-600 (The Pearl)

User is banned

Gixxer-Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
i like both, and dont plan on giving up streetriding anytime soon.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
I've never had a close call yet....so I'm sticking to the streets. You crazies on the track are who scare me!!

mainly you. jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. ~T~ View Post
i like both, and dont plan on giving up streetriding anytime soon.
The problem is, how many guys who crash on the track die? Answer: very few!

When you have a street accident, you are generally going to get hurt even worse. You tend to wear less gear on the street, and you end up hitting very hard, unmovable objects! The outcome on the street is always worse.
I couldn't tell you how many guys I've seen walk away from a triple digit crash on the track.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I occasionaly miss the street but everytime I get back on it I see why I don't ride on public roads anymore. I feel comfy on the scooter putting around but on any kind of sport bike it's a no no. You can't have any fun out there IMO.

<--Track Junkie.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
you are right... but when im on the street, i dont try to pretend its the track.... i know i am on the road with a bunch of idiots and am always fully aware of my risks... i think alot of people try to get out on the streets and ride like they are at the track... i just like to ride... im not looking to race or act like a fool.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

I think both of them have their charm. However going 65 mph in a sport bike is just not fun plus I think it is safer to ride the track. That is why I don;t ride in the streets anymore.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

I haven't ridden on the street hardly at all this year! Mainly because I have ridden track so much that it is a pain to which back to street form! Now that I have a dedicated track bike and street bike I am sure I will ride on the street more!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

No streets for me anymore either...but it is weekends like this past one that make me second quess why I made that decision because the weather was beautiful. Plus all I have is track bike...for now.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
mike

Member Garage

I recently sold my street bike and only ride on the track. After my first track day I started to think and realized that I had a lot more fun on the track in one day than on the street in a whole week. Too many situations on the street in which I would've been either dead or at least badly hurt through either the fault of a dumb cager or almost hits because of spirited backroad riding. I used to love 3090 but couldn't really enjoy it like the track as not only did I have to look out for hazards on the ground but also always anticipate what would be behind the next corner.
I don't need 2 tons of steel coming at me at every opportunity. I never really had to use the bike to commute since I work out of my house and gas is cheap so the only thing I miss is riding with my buddies and BSing at the stops. But they now come to do the parade laps at track days .
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

How many times is this thread going to get started?

There are those who ride for recreation and do track days while still commuting or going for rides in the country. Then, there are those that will only ride on the track any more. A lot of them, like me, have been riding for 20+ years and make the transition to "track only" after a self-realization that the streets hold nothing dear any more aside from the occasional (like every 5 years or so) long road trip for nostalgia's sake. Others, see a catastrophic event on the street or have someone close get killed/ seriously injured on the street and either give up riding all together or stick to the track. Pretty well a broken record subject IMHO, especially as many times as it's been hashed out on the interwebs all over the world.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
How many times is this thread going to get started?

There are those who ride for recreation and do track days while still commuting or going for rides in the country. Then, there are those that will only ride on the track any more. A lot of them, like me, have been riding for 20+ years and make the transition to "track only" after a self-realization that the streets hold nothing dear any more aside from the occasional (like every 5 years or so) long road trip for nostalgia's sake. Others, see a catastrophic event on the street or have someone close get killed/ seriously injured on the street and either give up riding all together or stick to the track. Pretty well a broken record subject IMHO, especially as many times as it's been hashed out on the interwebs all over the world.

who in your wheaties Tom?

Settle down big guy
Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

in 5 months of riding i have maybe put 800 miles on the street and maybe 150 on the track. (my odometer is disabled) the track is just more fun plus you dont have the cops looking for you all the time like i do. but Seems like everytime i get pulled over its for going 10-15mph over the limit (my speedo is also disabled) and luckally not when im being a little more spirited. Also with the track you ride at ur own pace which isnt always the case with the street. so im gonna keep this bike 85% track 15% street to and from work if i dont take my car.
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Virutally commute only on the street. I'm pretty much done with the long distance touring and weekend fun rides. Four wheeler avoidance is still a pain in the , but, it beats driving my truck.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Great thread Tim!

I still ride the streets, but not nearly as much as I used to. I fell in love with the track. I have learned that even if you go out on backroads and haulazz around turns, eventually your luck will run out, its just a matter of time. You can truly NEVER treat the backroads like the track, you have debris, cars, wildlife ect. Me and my friends take it a whole lot easier out there on the streets now that we have done numerous trackdays, and watched 2 great friends pass (RIP Mike and Tim). I can see myself giving the streets up in a few years, it has crossed my mind more than once, but for now i'm going to take easy and cruise the backroads.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #16
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I don't ride the streets anymore on the gixxer except in the off season of the track(summer) And then just wednesday night to freak out the newbies at sonic by doing 99mph freeway wheelies. Other than that I keep the gixxer for the track and the wing for the street.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsucki View Post
who in your wheaties Tom?

Settle down big guy
Uh, nobody did, and I'm quite settled, thanks.

Do a search for this subject or similar, there's a few hundred I'd estimate. You just bored or something?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #18
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Uh, nobody did, and I'm quite settled, thanks.

Do a search for this subject or similar, there's a few hundred I'd estimate. You just bored or something?

Yeah, just a Monday discussion....something to pass the time.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
If I lived out in the country, I'd probably ride my bike everyday.
I just don't want to put my life in the hands of some yuppy on his cell phone who is worried about his egg mcmuffin dripping on his shirt.
The risk outweighs the reward to me.
The only time I street ride the big bikes is when I'm headed out of the city.
Other than that, I'll ride my 50cc scooter around town and still manage to have some fun.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

the money i would spend a week in gas i save for TD's and tires. also none of my hometown buddies really ride anymore.

Advertisement