Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #21
texasyankee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Rather than spend the money on a new motor, spend it on a membership at MSRH. With only four track days, you need seat time. Riding two or three days a week with improve your times more than any equipment.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 cbr600rr engine in 03 zx636 frame. Mad World How To's and Q & A's 9 06-01-2013 06:42 PM
LSTD @ Texas World Speedway, 03/03: CANCELLED jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 27 03-04-2008 10:04 AM
LSTD 03.03.08 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) Candie Taking it to the Track 144 03-01-2008 11:32 PM
03 R1 rim on 03 R6?? mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-11-2007 09:10 AM
HRP Friday Night 03/03 GsxrRcr369 Events, Meets and Rides 46 03-05-2006 12:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #22
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
No, your right, there is always a gaggle of bikes in T1. What kind of lap times are you running?
The faster groups (i.e. A group or Advanced) tend to not bunch up in the turns so much, but the pace is obviously faster. What I'm saying is, if your lap times are there, the faster groups would benifit you some. Maybe even intermediate or B group.

John
Running in B group. Not even close to run in Advanced. Unless I have suicidal tendencies and want to p*ss off a lot of people by being in the way Don't know lap times due to lack of timer. Probably need to get one to see where I'm improving.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
Rather than spend the money on a new motor, spend it on a membership at MSRH. With only four track days, you need seat time. Riding two or three days a week with improve your times more than any equipment.
You're not going to get a membership there for the cost of an engine, especially when you figure in the monthly fees. Not to mention, most folks would be tied to that one track since there is so much money going to the membership and let's face it, there are lots of better tracks in the State.

As far as Patrick's engine, it will be a 600 killer for sure, I know from personal experience what an ~80+ hp SV engine in a well set up bike will do.

All that said, for just a few hundred dollars, you can get cams, BMC filter, full race exhaust, and some mild head work with dyno tuning for much, much less, and get some fantastic gains with the SV engine. It also keeps it more reliable than a full-on built engine will be

Contact Zoran at Twin Works Factory, he is an absolute Demigod when it comes to SVs and "engine safe" hp mods.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

last time i was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) i think only one person passed me on the striaght. if you get the 3 corners that are leading to the front straight right and you get a hard drive out of it. you should be fine. my sv is bone stuck as far as engine.
remember in sv you cant afford to make mistakes cuz it costs you alot more in lap time than does to someone on a 1k, so it forces you to get your lines and points dead on.

Last edited by Spidermonkey; 10-20-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

I ran the novice class on my SV on Friday and the majority of the 600's that passed me on the front straight I passed right back in turn one just by staying on the gas. You can pin the throttle and stay high on the banking and keep it pinned until you cross over the transition, bump one downshift and carry fifth all the way through turn two and three. I would imagine you could gap most street riders enough in the back section so that they wouldn't be a threat on the front straight. The SV with a properly set up suspension can generate awesome corner speeds. If you still have trouble you can buy my 80+HP SV cuz after Sunday it's officially for sale!!
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #26
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongore View Post
I ran the novice class on my SV on Friday and the majority of the 600's that passed me on the front straight I passed right back in turn one just by staying on the gas. You can pin the throttle and stay high on the banking and keep it pinned until you cross over the transition, bump one downshift and carry fifth all the way through turn two and three. I would imagine you could gap most street riders enough in the back section so that they wouldn't be a threat on the front straight. The SV with a properly set up suspension can generate awesome corner speeds. If you still have trouble you can buy my 80+HP SV cuz after Sunday it's officially for sale!!
Going to a 1000 next year?
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Going to a 1000 next year?
I wish....Austin's racing is getting expensive. Anyone looking for a slow SV endurance rider??
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongore View Post
I wish....Austin's racing is getting expensive. Anyone looking for a slow SV endurance rider??
Austin has almost won as much Bridgestone money as you
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
mike

Member Garage

Well thanks all for the input. Seems I keep the SV for another while, change the gearing and keep improving the dude that sits on it .

Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well thanks all for the input. Seems I keep the SV for another while, change the gearing and keep improving the dude that sits on it .

Mike
Hit me up next season at an LSTD event and I'll get out there with you on our endurance bike.

The SV is a solid platform to race/ ride, you'll be very happy with your decision I'm sure.

Besides, who's to say you can't sell it later and get another bike anyway? It's all good.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #31
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Hit me up next season at an LSTD event and I'll get out there with you on our endurance bike.

The SV is a solid platform to race/ ride, you'll be very happy with your decision I'm sure.

Besides, who's to say you can't sell it later and get another bike anyway? It's all good.
I sure will, thanks for the offer. That was also part of the decision, buying something now that at the earliest I can ride in maybe February is not good. I'm not the most patient person. Unless there's some secret track days in December and January
Old 10-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #32
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
I agree with you on the seat time but my bank account and I have different opinions about that track membership
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

So, are you gonna be a GSS this weekend? That track is a hoot on the SV.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #34
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i own a 07 gsxr600 and an 07 sv650....both with suspension built for track and a few mods here and there.....

the gsxr600 is nice, fast, easy to ride, and the power over the sv is incredible.

the sv650....WAS a street toy....but then i figured out what a fcking it is on the street....so i turned it into a racebike.

you hate being passed by 600's on the straights especially at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? so do guys on 600's getting passed by 1000's. with what you said, you might as well get a 1000.

but it feels so much better passing up bigger bikes on the smaller ones....i would get such a hard drive coming out of some corners on my gsxr6 and fly by some liter bikes, only to come in and get asked "is that a 750 or 1000?".

so to sum it all up....get better and get faster on that 650.....and rail it on them 600's...it feels much better and is VERY confidence inspiring.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
So, are you gonna be a GSS this weekend? That track is a hoot on the SV.
I'd love to but am going on a trip Friday (bad timing I know). Y'all have fun out there. Next will probably be Cresson on 11/9.

Mike
Old 11-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #36
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

good thread, and I too get stuck behind "faster bikes" at times and get blown out of the water on the straights.
I also struggle with wanting "something faster"

Keep me updated on your gearing journey, I'm also thinking about changing that up. I read several posts by others to keep stock gearing, and then some say you should gear to hit red line by the end of the longest straight.
At TWS (Texas World Speedway) I don't hit red line in 6th at the end of the straight [heck I'm not sure if I would hit red line in sixth on a 20 mile straight] and I wasn't wable to get to red line in 5th on the longest straight at MSRC. hat probably means I need to carry more corner speed but I'm also thinking about going down one tooth in the front. I'm currently at 15/46
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #37
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Running in B group. Not even close to run in Advanced. Unless I have suicidal tendencies and want to p*ss off a lot of people by being in the way Don't know lap times due to lack of timer. Probably need to get one to see where I'm improving.

A lap timer is a MUST HAVE.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #38
Greatdane

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSVR; Yam WR450F-Tard, YZ450F-Dirt, TTR125-Mini; Kawa KLR650

SV

Quote:
That's not what I meant so maybe I said it wrong (forgive me I'm only on my second coffee yet ). What I meant was that (from what I've seen so far in my only three times at TWS (Texas World Speedway)) there's usually a pile of bikes going in from being more stretched out on the straight.

Does that sound right? No? Ok, need more coffee ...
That's the cool thing about riding a bike down on horse power. Watch them run away on the straight and then pass them all by turn 3. You now have lots of turns to put space between them and you. Anybody can go fast on a straight away but that does not mean that you are fastest around the track.

The MotoGP guys have vastly different top speeds and it is NOT the fastest top speed which wins the race.

I'd stay with the stock SV you already have. Then sign up for as many track days track days and riding schools you can afford, and watch the progression

Regards
Henrik
Greatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #39
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
good thread, and I too get stuck behind "faster bikes" at times and get blown out of the water on the straights.
I also struggle with wanting "something faster"

Keep me updated on your gearing journey, I'm also thinking about changing that up. I read several posts by others to keep stock gearing, and then some say you should gear to hit red line by the end of the longest straight.
At TWS (Texas World Speedway) I don't hit red line in 6th at the end of the straight [heck I'm not sure if I would hit red line in sixth on a 20 mile straight] and I wasn't wable to get to red line in 5th on the longest straight at MSRC. hat probably means I need to carry more corner speed but I'm also thinking about going down one tooth in the front. I'm currently at 15/46
I went up two in the rear and it made a huge difference (also swapped out the air filter) at GSS last time with TTD. I'll be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the 23rd and we'll see how it does on that track. I may just keep the SV and buy a I4 600 as second track bike. I guess what I miss is the rush of the I4 that suddenly kicks in above 10k RPM . Anyway, gearing changed something to the positive on the SV.

Mike

And yes, lap timer is on the wish list but so is a PCIII and a GPR stabilizer and soooooo many other things
Old 11-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #40
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

rearsets are on my list, I keep dragging my pegs [better body position should help this too, but its not that bad]. I've found some adjustable brackets that turn the stock rearsets into adjustable ones.

I'm also kicking around the idea of upgrading the brakes. I also came across some brackets that let you run gixxer brake calipers [not the newer radial design], add to that a better master cylinder and some steel lines
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement