MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Roland Sands SXV 4.5 RoadRacer Concept: Aprilia considers production

RSD Aprilia 1

Remember the Roland Sands SuperSingle? It seems that Aprilia has taken an interest in the project, commissioning Roland to build a one off prototype based on the SXV 4.5 supermoto. Piaggio -- Aprilia's parent company -- presented this concept at its 2008 dealer meeting earlier this month to see if they thought there'd be enough customer interest to justify a production run. The interesting thing about the RoadRacer is that it only changes very few of the major components, meaning production would require very little R&D and making it more likely that we could see a version of this bike available at dealers in the near future.

RSD Aprilia 6

In order to convert the supermoto into the RoadRacer, the following changes were made:
- RSD SuperSingle fairing, fuel tank and tailpiece with custom brackets
- Rearset relocator brackets
- Revalved and shortened forks by RaceTech
- Slick tires on stock rims
- Custom exhaust
- Clip-ons

RSD Aprilia deleted

It'd be easy to point out the details on this bike that clash with each other. The frame looks a little odd paired with the fairing and fuel tank. The spoked wheels don't match the modern diamond-shape swingarm. But the rough and ready nature of this bike is the point. You could build this bike in your garage right now, or you could wait for Aprilia to do it for you. They don't need to invest millions of dollars in new model development; you don't need to wait 10 years to see the fruit of that project.

RSD Aprilia 4

Demand for a sportsbike using Aprilia's 450 or 550cc v-twin has been high ever since the engine was unveiled. The closest we've come so far is a handful of projects -- the Tucscon BT550 Superleggera for instance -- that have either shoehorned the engine into an RS250 chassis or had a bespoke steel trellis made. This RSD RoadRacer is our best chance yet to get a 450cc v-twin powered sportsbike that we can buy.

RSD Aprilia 5

The RSD team will be at the Streets of Willow Spring next week getting the suspension dialed in for riding evaluations. We'll bring you more info and images as they become available.

Wes Siler. October 15, 2008
hellforleathermagazine.com

Last edited by jodyhudson; 10-19-2008 at 06:32 AM.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roland Sands TMAX Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 11-20-2012 02:56 PM
Roland Sands' Aprilia SVX4.5 / SVX5.5 Roadracer Racer997 Taking it to the Track 12 04-29-2009 10:24 AM
Roland Sands Custom K8 Hayabusa pics NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 04-03-2008 02:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Man is it just me or does this just look like a throw back to the 70's? I like the idea but I don't really like the package.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Looks great. Although the thing has that 70's look, I bet it will smoke some .
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Man is it just me or does this just look like a throw back to the 70's? I like the idea but I don't really like the package.
i agree bro. if Aprilia is smart they will put that engine in sumthin like this:

Aprilia20RS12520Spains20No120m
Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Now you're talking!
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

3rd!
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Nice.
Now if they could just keep the price down where workin' people could have one. I mean dirt bikes don't cost $10,000+ so why should basically the same thing with fairings be so much more?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Nice.
Now if they could just keep the price down where workin' people could have one. I mean dirt bikes don't cost $10,000+ so why should basically the same thing with fairings be so much more?
u obviously havent bought a dirtbike lately. the new CRF450R retails for $7600... after TTL that comes out to $8000.

Advertisement