Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
jluna9657

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 (trackbike)

need some opinions please!!!

as many of u have probably experienced i have become hooked on track days. My question is i am running continental conti sport attacks currently and i am not 100% confident these are tires i should keep on my bike if i am going to get serious about track days. so should i keep these on for now and wear them out then invest in some new ones or should i go ahead and put a new set of rubbers on the bike and if so what do you guys recommend. I am not hurting financially so if you guys recommend just putting some new tires on just let me know and i am not concerned about getting mileage out of the tires either. any help appreciated. thanx.

Juan.
jluna9657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need opinions dboi Events, Meets and Rides 22 09-29-2013 10:05 PM
Need opinions grantmcw New Riders and MSF Course Info 12 10-01-2011 03:46 PM
Need your opinions please help :-) 2KBUSA General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 10-24-2010 09:38 PM
Opinions... 1FastMF General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 02-28-2009 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

try bt014 bridgestones, I like metzelers m1, but some time ago the m3 came out. of course, if you want something better you need track rubber, wich is expeeensive, and then you need to get better suspension or your frame will twist itself in kknots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

i would use the tires you have til they are dead, no need to waste them. Then pick up a set of bt003's and youll be happy
Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

well if it's just a track bike get some bt002RS

But if it's still a street/track bike get some pirelli corsa 3s.
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
jluna9657

Bike(s):
07 R6 (trackbike)

i am debating between the corsa 3's, power race's and the brigdestone's but here is my problem with bridgestone. they have so many different models and nobody seems to agree on one single model.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
jluna9657

Bike(s):
07 R6 (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
try bt014 bridgestones, I like metzelers m1, but some time ago the m3 came out. of course, if you want something better you need track rubber, wich is expeeensive, and then you need to get better suspension or your frame will twist itself in kknots
what do u recommend as far as my suspension goes. are u just refering to getting my suspension set or r u recommending replacing parts?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I would just set the suspension to your weight, patrick can do that.

and i second what japawhat said, kill those tires first, get some more seat time, learn what your bike can do, then get a little better rubber, maybe later you'll need to step up in the suspension department. maybe revalving first, unless you have the money to spend on some nice ohlins legs and a penske shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluna9657 View Post
i am debating between the corsa 3's, power race's and the brigdestone's but here is my problem with bridgestone. they have so many different models and nobody seems to agree on one single model.
Bridgestone 002RS are a great trackday/ street tire, and will work well within your limits as a person who is new to the sport. Once you get a bunch more time under your hat and your lap times are getting to the point where you're over-riding the tire, get the 003. You won't be disappointed in either (the 002RS or the 003PRO).

Honestly, you won't go wrong with any of the new track rubber these days, they vary only with consistency and wear, neither of which will you really test at this stage of your addiction.

The important thing with tires is, good tire pressures and good support from a local tire guy. John from SCRC gives fantastic support with both, and he'll even ship the tires to your door if you don't want to have your tires mounted for free by him at the track.

Quote:
what do u recommend as far as my suspension goes. are u just refering to getting my suspension set or r u recommending replacing parts?
I didn't see what kind of bike you're riding or the age, but just about any stock suspension on an '06- newer race replica style bike (GSXR, R1/6, 600/1000RR, etc) is going to be just fine. You can get the suspension set up for sag, rebound, damping, preload, etc by a reputable shop like Patrick's at Motorcycles Unlimited to give you more feel and control while riding.

The opinions on "what to do first" are many and varied, but any experienced racer will tell you seat time is the most valuable thing you can get for your bike and to enhance your skill

Tires are a consumable like oil, so if you want, try different brands and compare for yourself. Some folks making "tire recommendations" are only telling you what they've heard and don't have any real experience riding/ racing too- so take "advice" with a healthy dose of salt.

Personally, after trying 4 major brands of tire over the past 6 or so years, I settled on Bridgestones again this year, and couldn't be happier. The other tires just didn't stack up for performance and longevity. I haven't been shown to be wrong with them yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

Nice post, Tom.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Jerran V

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Money no issue...get stands, tire warmers and race rubber. No doubt. I use the BT003s. Love them. Very consistant, good feel, they go off gradually and predictably. As Tom said, John will ship them to you directly.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

If you're not confident in your tires, I would go ahead and replace them. Confidence is important. Maybe burn them up on the street and then replace them just before next track day. I've been very happy with the Bridgestones. I've ran both bt002rs and 003's and loved both.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
jluna9657

Bike(s):
07 R6 (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Bridgestone 002RS are a great trackday/ street tire, and will work well within your limits as a person who is new to the sport. Once you get a bunch more time under your hat and your lap times are getting to the point where you're over-riding the tire, get the 003. You won't be disappointed in either (the 002RS or the 003PRO).

Honestly, you won't go wrong with any of the new track rubber these days, they vary only with consistency and wear, neither of which will you really test at this stage of your addiction.

The important thing with tires is, good tire pressures and good support from a local tire guy. John from SCRC gives fantastic support with both, and he'll even ship the tires to your door if you don't want to have your tires mounted for free by him at the track.

I didn't see what kind of bike you're riding or the age, but just about any stock suspension on an '06- newer race replica style bike (GSXR, R1/6, 600/1000RR, etc) is going to be just fine. You can get the suspension set up for sag, rebound, damping, preload, etc by a reputable shop like Patrick's at Motorcycles Unlimited to give you more feel and control while riding.

The opinions on "what to do first" are many and varied, but any experienced racer will tell you seat time is the most valuable thing you can get for your bike and to enhance your skill

Tires are a consumable like oil, so if you want, try different brands and compare for yourself. Some folks making "tire recommendations" are only telling you what they've heard and don't have any real experience riding/ racing too- so take "advice" with a healthy dose of salt.

Personally, after trying 4 major brands of tire over the past 6 or so years, I settled on Bridgestones again this year, and couldn't be happier. The other tires just didn't stack up for performance and longevity. I haven't been shown to be wrong with them yet.
thanx for the input. nice write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
Money no issue...get stands, tire warmers and race rubber. No doubt. I use the BT003s. Love them. Very consistant, good feel, they go off gradually and predictably. As Tom said, John will ship them to you directly.
got stands and warmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
If you're not confident in your tires, I would go ahead and replace them. Confidence is important. Maybe burn them up on the street and then replace them just before next track day. I've been very happy with the Bridgestones. I've ran both bt002rs and 003's and loved both.
hey bubby dont know if u remember me but u were my instructor at my last trackday at msrh on sept. 7th with ttd. I was riding the blue r6 with the bright yellow fieldsheer suit on.thanx for the input.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
hey bubby dont know if u remember me but u were my instructor at my last trackday at msrh on sept. 7th with ttd. I was riding the blue r6 with the bright yellow fieldsheer suit on.thanx for the input.
Yep. Glad to see you've got the addiction! Look forward to seeing you back out there!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
jluna9657

Bike(s):
07 R6 (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
Yep. Glad to see you've got the addiction! Look forward to seeing you back out there!
u will and yes i am addicted.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Wash/repeat>...
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerscasa View Post
Wash/repeat>...
You forgot "rinse"...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Honestly if you have stands and warmers, you way ahead of the curve. IMHO if your still riding on the street some, get the BT002 Ride Smart. They will last longer with the use of warmers, but it is not really required. If your ready to take the plunge into racetires, and it seems you have all of the needed equipment, I'd suggest the BT003's.

I advise people to not ride the BT003's on the street, that is why I suggest the BT002 Ride Smart if your still going to ride them on the street some.

If you have any direct questions feel free to call me or PM me.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement