Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
becareful on the r1 the end likes to slide out under hard acceleration out of corners
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockers Vs Mods, nope, it's bicyclists vs Mods grsa Off Topic 1 05-11-2014 06:05 PM
Trackbike is finished MANSON6 Taking it to the Track 8 08-26-2007 01:40 PM
Anyone need a trackbike or streetbike??? dhdrider General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-01-2007 11:06 AM
Pics of my new / used Trackbike Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 10-24-2006 04:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
cobra281

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Did the 2006 R1 come stock with a slipper clutch?
cobra281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #23
maxgs

Member Garage

My recommendation, in order, would be suspension set up, good tires, track plastics, and brake pads (Vesrah RJL or SRJL's). Leave the slicks at home. Assuming you don't have warmers yet, start with the BT-002 Ride Smart or Pirelli equivalent which I believe is the Corsa 3. And read twist of the wrist II....
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #24
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

...! told me to learn to ride first!

classic !!!

No, seriously. If I was in your position (first track bike and first track day), I would:

- not worry about any mods for the first couple track days AT LEAST. Save your money and you will thank me later.
- Skip the 'mods' that are bling mods. They will not make you faster (o yeah, some say certain stickers make you faster, so make sure to get those).
- After you learn to ride the track and are feeling much more comfortable on the R1 you have (which will not be for about 4-6 track days at the minimum), you can start to add some stuff to the bike that will make it a better scalpel.
- Trust me, for the first few track days you will not need any special rubber, pads, brake lines, exhaust, PC3USB, race header gasket, levers, sprockets, wind screens, plastics, paint, etc, etc. You will be concentrating on riding in the proper way and holding the line so others can predict what you are up to on the track. All the money you spend on the above will be much better served to save and put some to use on track day fees and a bit on setting up your existing suspension with Roger @ OROR (about 30 bucks that you will think is the best money you have spent).
- THEN, after you get all the above down packed, look into proper and higher end suspension and rubbers for the bike (I would not go race yet Mr. Rossi). Something DOT is going to be just fine for you. Suspension will go with your bike a long way and can serve you well for years if you choose the right type and match for your body weight (maybe event thinking a bit ahead to what you may weigh in a year after 200 or so cheeseburgers.... lol).
- After you get yourself some good rubber and suspension (and have it set up again), get yourself some steel brake lines as your braking will become more aggressive during riding. Match it with good pads (do not have to be race but good ones that do not fade in weather). Remember, not all track days will be in sunny weather.
- After all the above, everything else will be bling bling. What I mean is unless you plan to start a race team, putting a full race exhaust will not make you ride much better/faster.

They all said it already: Suspension, rubber, maybe braking components. Plastics, etc, etc, all bling and if you have spare change, go nuts.

Even with all that stuff you will do to your R1, you will see some SV650 guys that will blow the doors off you at the track, with one hand scratching their .

I know many of our advice may be taken as something we put together in a sarcastic tone, but really, you will spend lots of money and will not be any better off until you get your riding down straight.
Some say, well, I have been riding for many years on the street. Street is a different animal all together.

Good luck to you. Hope you enjoy the R1 they are really nice bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
! told me to learn to ride first!

I have actually done a few track days and feel like I can contribute by telling you what I have done.

I have no dampner, until yesterday
I have stock suspension and I am 250lbs and 6"5'. Will have suspension done on Tuesday. But felt fine until my last track day, now I am nervous about it.
I did start using BT002's but used pilot powers for my first couple of track days.
As I started getting a lil faster, I got ss front brake lines and new pads.

Then I crashed and got aftermarket clip ons and case covers.

So, IMO, unless you r a money bag, just get some good tires and learn for the first track day or three. Then see what bothers you most about the way your bike handles and go from there.

And ASK lots of questions from peeps that know what they r talking about.

Last edited by Ridesmart; 10-17-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #25
cobra281

Member Garage

Thank you for all of the informative replies.

Trackdays are going to be my first mods.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #26
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post

No, seriously. If I was in your position (first track bike and first track day), I would:

- not worry about any mods for the first couple track days AT LEAST. Save your money and you will thank me later.
- Skip the 'mods' that are bling mods. They will not make you faster (o yeah, some say certain stickers make you faster, so make sure to get those).
- After you learn to ride the track and are feeling much more comfortable on the R1 you have (which will not be for about 4-6 track days at the minimum), you can start to add some stuff to the bike that will make it a better scalpel.
- Trust me, for the first few track days you will not need any special rubber, pads, brake lines, exhaust, PC3USB, race header gasket, levers, sprockets, wind screens, plastics, paint, etc, etc. You will be concentrating on riding in the proper way and holding the line so others can predict what you are up to on the track. All the money you spend on the above will be much better served to save and put some to use on track day fees and a bit on setting up your existing suspension with Roger @ OROR (about 30 bucks that you will think is the best money you have spent).
- THEN, after you get all the above down packed, look into proper and higher end suspension and rubbers for the bike (I would not go race yet Mr. Rossi). Something DOT is going to be just fine for you. Suspension will go with your bike a long way and can serve you well for years if you choose the right type and match for your body weight (maybe event thinking a bit ahead to what you may weigh in a year after 200 or so cheeseburgers.... lol).
- After you get yourself some good rubber and suspension (and have it set up again), get yourself some steel brake lines as your braking will become more aggressive during riding. Match it with good pads (do not have to be race but good ones that do not fade in weather). Remember, not all track days will be in sunny weather.
- After all the above, everything else will be bling bling. What I mean is unless you plan to start a race team, putting a full race exhaust will not make you ride much better/faster.

They all said it already: Suspension, rubber, maybe braking components. Plastics, etc, etc, all bling and if you have spare change, go nuts.

Even with all that stuff you will do to your R1, you will see some SV650 guys that will blow the doors off you at the track, with one hand scratching their .

I know many of our advice may be taken as something we put together in a sarcastic tone, but really, you will spend lots of money and will not be any better off until you get your riding down straight.
Some say, well, I have been riding for many years on the street. Street is a different animal all together.

Nice response, Ciaka.

-Curt
Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

$500 credit to Ride Smart
$500 credit to TTD
$500 credit to LSTD

See, you already spent $1500!!

(+ tyres)
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Having been in your position about 7 months ago (1st trackday in Nov, 2nd in March...totaled bike->new bike in April that I've converted to track bike) I would say that getting your suspension dialed in for your weight should be first. As you get faster, you'll make suspension setting adjustments along the way. First parts to add should be brakelines and pads. You'll feel more comfortable learning to brake deeper and harder if you have good consistant brake performance and feel.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #29
cobra281

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
...! told me to learn to ride first!

classic !!!

Great Post. I sincerly appreciate it. Your 99 R6 is beautiful, but I was looking for a newer bike.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
$500 credit to Ride Smart
$500 credit to TTD
$500 credit to LSTD

See, you already spent $1500!!

(+ tyres)
+1

tracktime
tracktime
tracktime

got it? tracktime!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #31
cobra281

Member Garage

Did someone say tracktime?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
First two mods I always do: Stainless braided brakes lines + pads, and BT003 tires.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #33
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
save your money for trackdays
bodywork, suspension,and expensive tires wont make you fast
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #34
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Just go with an open mind and learn how to ride that beast. Also, don't forget to set your tire pressure(prob 30/30cold on most street tires). Btw check the FS section for a 05 600rr that's fully prepped I heard its a pretty good deal
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #35
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
BEST AND CHEAPEST MOD TO DO FIRST.....SS brake lines for the front (dont need the rear). that is the most effective mod for the money, HANDS DOWN!

here's what i would do, in this order....which i have done on my own bikes.

1. SS brake lines
2. Race brake pads (i use EBC Extreme Pro's, the HH and GFA's ain't got on these)
3. Race rubber (but if ur just starting out, keep the street tires, they r cheaper)
4. Steering damper (unless you have a stock one, you can skip this and do it later)
5. Aftermarket rear shock
6. Fork cartridge kit or racetech internals
7. all the other like exhaust, air filter, pc3, blah blah blah

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #36
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

The SS brakes lines are, to me, the best bang for the buck. The "spongy" feel seems to disappear.

Good rubber as everyone says along with a suspension set and if you got the coin get an after market rear shock.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #37
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
! told me to learn to ride first!

I have actually done a few track days and feel like I can contribute by telling you what I have done.

I have no dampner, until yesterday
I have stock suspension and I am 250lbs and 6"5'. Will have suspension done on Tuesday. But felt fine until my last track day, now I am nervous about it.
I did start using BT002's but used pilot powers for my first couple of track days.
As I started getting a lil faster, I got ss front brake lines and new pads.

Then I crashed and got aftermarket clip ons and case covers.

So, IMO, unless you r a money bag, just get some good tires and learn for the first track day or three. Then see what bothers you most about the way your bike handles and go from there.

And ASK lots of questions from peeps that know what they r talking about.
Holy Bat Man!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #38
cobra281

Member Garage

Which SS brake lines? I have heard to use Motul DOT 4 brake fluid.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Motul's RBF DOT 4 brake fluid is a good. has a very high boiling point, which is great for track use.

Brake lines, brand doesn't matter...they are all the same.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ slide View Post
expensive tires wont make you fast
no, but they do give you the confidence to push
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote