MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #21
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
my bike has a salvaged but rebuilt title... imho no diff. bc i have DO have full coverage. ins.
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP: Salvage Title KTM Tommy Car Forum 3 01-23-2012 05:09 PM
salvage title??? superkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-07-2010 10:35 AM
salvage title? MudBug How To's and Q & A's 2 12-05-2008 04:26 PM
Salvage title?? tonyt915 Off Topic 11 11-06-2008 12:26 PM
Salvage Title Sniper1 Safety Corner Main 3 07-27-2008 01:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

so did you buy it w/the rebuilt title or just a salvage title Mrs. T? What was the process & how big of a pain was it if you had to get the rebuilt title yourself?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
I dont think you understand... salvage means you can't get it registered. A salvage title is just issued for the transfer of the paperwork. You have to get it street legal and inspected and get a rebuilt title before you can get it registered. So salvage title means you can't drive it. So insurance is the least of your worries.

Some insurance companies won't let you get full coverage on vehicles that have had a salvage title. My friend's nationwide office would not.
you are as far as Texas goes WRONG and epically FAIL

and yes you can get full coverage on a salvage or rebuilt bike, the title is the same color as a regular title but has salvage on it

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #24
Dreamer!!

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
you are as far as Texas goes WRONG and epically FAIL

and yes you can get full coverage on a salvage or rebuilt bike, the title is the same color as a regular title but has salvage on it
so it basically just depreciates the value for the most part?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #25
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

they devalued my bike by about 2500 but no biggie

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #26
rugbystar13
Addicted to Excess

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-14
1997 Yamaha Vmax 200hp (recently sold)

Member Garage

For fear of getting banned I'll admit it, I work for an Insurance Company. We are normally second behind lawyers in terms of hated indivduals.
-
You can get "full coverage" on a salvage or rebuilt title.
-
You may not even have to report it to your insurance co.
-
The value of the vehicle is lessened in the eyes of the insurer. This is based on the prior accident history.
-
I agree with some of the above posts, that sometimes you can get a sweet bike for a low price because it was dropped and totalled out. You may even want to put new plastics and pipes etc on it anyways.
-
You will not be denied coverage under most circumstances.......
-
Bottom line...if the price is right and the bike wasn't in a high speed axx...it should be a good bet.
---
Any specfic questions around salvage bikes, or insurance, please feel free to send me a note.
rugbystar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #27
andrave

I think you should say that with your carrier you can. Not all carriers do. I know this from experience. My friend worked for nationwide. His office would not do full coverage on a rebuilt vehicle. Motorcycles or otherwise.

I had a GSXR that had HAD a salvage title but when I got it registered I had to get a rebuilt title. Thats what they told me at DOT. So you can tell me FAIL and not explain what the **** you are talking about, or you could present your facts for why you say that. I've owned several salvage or R title bikes. Like I said, the law is different in different states. I've only gone through the "reconstruction" process in WV but I helped someone do it in PA and I read up on it in TX but ended up not doing it there.

And even if you could get a salvage bike registered in TX (which I dont think you can without rebuilding it, based on what DOT told me, and I think they are the authority there) you won't be able to sell it to someone out of state because they won't be able to register it if they live in a state that won't title salvage vehicles. So that would definitely reduce book value.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #28
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Okay so since you guys have experience can you walk me thru the process of buying a bike w/a salvage title when the seller only has a BoS from the original owner....which I assume means it's in the original owner's name for reg. purposes too
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #29
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

I agree....at least in NY, the original title is stamped "salvage". It cannot be registered (except by a dealer) until it goes through the state inspection and a "salvaged-rebuilt" title is issued.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Okay, so I called the DMV and they state the process is as follows if you are buying a bike that already has a salvage title to be signed over:
1) have a "form 61" completed stating "what was done to the bike" after the damage
2) get the seller to sign the title over
3) get the bike inspected
4) go to the court house and apply for a new title & register @ the same time
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #31
andrave

Well just for example,
I bought a bike with an ohio salvage title. Only in ohio, they don't issue salvage titles, they issue "salvage certificates." Which is just a little piece of paper that says you have transferred ownership of a salvage (non driveable) vehicle. So first thing I had to do was get a salvage title, so I had to trasnfer the salvage certificate to WV and have a WV salvage title issued before the WV dmv would even touch it. That was relatively cheap (like fifteen bucks or something). Then I had to do some paperwork and get a form to take to a WV state inspection center and they checked the lights, horn, tires, etc, and issued me an inspection sticker (using the form they DMV gave me to give them for my registration and such) and filled out a form to take back to the DMV. Then I had to go to the DMV at a specified time to meet with a special inspector, who examined my paperwork (which included identifying the damage that caused the vehicle to be salvage, and identifying any replacement parts or repairs). He came outside and inspected the vehicle, the VIN #'s, and confirmed the inspection sticker, and then went inside and filled out some more forms. I took this back to the regular line at the DMV and was then able to pay taxes on it and get a rebuilt title issued. The whole thing ended up taking a couple weeks cause you can only see the special inspector when he makes his rounds to your local DMV, and there is like one or two for the whole state so they are at one office like one day a week.

In PA you have to take it to a place that does vehicle titling, fill out a form that state what damage it had and what you replaced, and an inspector does the VIN only he has to make pencil rubbings of the VIN anywhere its shown...

Call and ask what the process is, and if there is a special inspector or inspection place that does the bulk of it, then get their name and number and speak directly with them to avoid the clerks at the DMV/DOT giving out incorrect info. The reason mine took a few weeks was getting some incorrect info that way. Once I got the inspectors name and phone number he told me straight up what needed to happen and we took it step by step from there. It will probably cost you a little more than a regular registration because of the additional steps, and it can be harder, especially because in many states there is no booklet or brochure that says "titling your salvage titled vehicle for road use" or anything...
But once you get the information its not too hard to actually do it.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #32
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
so did you buy it w/the rebuilt title or just a salvage title Mrs. T? What was the process & how big of a pain was it if you had to get the rebuilt title yourself?
it was salv. when bought...
we rebuilt it, then went to register it... not a big deal at all. when you register you bring recipts for repairs and that is when it turns into rebuilt. not hard at all...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #33
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Okay, so I called the DMV and they state the process is as follows if you are buying a bike that already has a salvage title to be signed over:
1) have a "form 61" completed stating "what was done to the bike" after the damage
+1! but bring recipts... just incase bc i swear it just depends who is doing your paper wk at the court house...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #34
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Thanks! I don't think I'm going to go forward w/the deal b/c the guy said he doesn't has a "form 60" and "didn't have a problem" but at the same time he's saying it's still in the 1st person's name so that tells me he just has a BoS and isn't leaving the chit storm for me @ the court house w/out all the right paperwork
Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #35
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

good info andrave....good to know if I find another deal but w/this one I have no clue what all was damaged and the guy I'm buying it from said he bought it post-salvaged so it seems like a lot more trouble than I want
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #36
txgsxr1000

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 gsx-r1000
06 YZ250 sold!

Quote:
You can also file for a bonded title it is easier to get IMO.....
txgsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #37
txgsxr1000

Bike(s):
02 gsx-r1000
06 YZ250 sold!

and since you just have a BOS it would be you best bet to do a bonded title..
And it is faster than getting a rebuilt one.. Less paper work!
txgsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #38
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

the title that came with my bike was a pinkish colored Louisiana title that stated it was a salvage title on the background from what i recall.
Once i repaired the bike, got it inspected, and transferred the title and got it registered I was issued a blue Texas title that had a little section under mileage where it reads something like "unknown, rebuilt Louisiana title"

getting it legal was easy. I repaired all that was needed, fairings, wiring, controls, mirrors and turn signals. Then went and got paperwork for application of new Texas title and a second form for rebuilt vehicles, which had a place where i wrote in all the repairs, parts and who did the parts as well as parts sources. Took bike on trailer to get inspection, took inspection, title transfer paper, rebuild paper to tax office, stood around about twenty minutes, wrote a check, and left with new plates and a receipt. 3 weeks later i had a title.

oh yeah mine came with multiple bills of sale as it was bought at auction, transferred to a second dealer, and then my cousin got it for me, i threw away all the bullshit in between....
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #39
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

hmm....maybe there's hope afterall if it's not as difficult as I'm thinking