MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







When you made your street bike "TRACK ONLY" why did u buy track/race body work?

Other than not wanting to trash your OEM's why? And if I dont give a about trashing them, then why should I buy?

And finally, what brand has the best "VALUE"? Not neccessarily the cheapest, but for the money, what would you buy?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track or Street "POLL" Lucar General Discussion (Moto Related) 110 07-01-2013 10:11 PM
The "I'm Here At The Race Track And You're Not" Thread Racer997 Taking it to the Track 27 08-10-2009 01:25 PM
Opinion: What's the best "First Track Day" track? [poser] Taking it to the Track 34 05-03-2008 09:33 AM
what is needed to convert race/track bike to street? sipynsyrup General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-10-2006 01:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Other than not wanting to trash your OEM's why? And if I dont give a about trashing them, then why should I buy?

And finally, what brand has the best "VALUE"? Not neccessarily the cheapest, but for the money, what would you buy?
No one is making you buy anything that you don't want to.

The reason for race plastics/body is because it has a cover to catch dripping oil or fluids which factory don't. When you crash, factory parts is everywhere on the track/street, race body isn't. There are others but these two is why it is important to switch over.

Attack and Sharkskin has the best body, you can check with TomLSTD or Patrick for more info.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












servicing your bikes with race body is quicker to R/I.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.
 
NorthHoustonGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kingwood Texas
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,993


Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)







I changed mine because the OEM had a little rash on them from my "trailer incident". But I bought some racetechs used off ebay and gave it a rattle can paint job. My reason was simply to sell my fairings and recoup some money but as I advance I also wanted to not switch back and forth. And to have a under belly to catch any fluid that may spill out. One day I will get another street legal bike...One day
__________________

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
No one is making you buy anything that you don't want to.

The reason for race plastics/body is because it has a cover to catch dripping oil or fluids which factory don't. When you crash, factory parts is everywhere on the track/street, race body isn't. There are others but these two is why it is important to switch over.

Attack and Sharkskin has the best body, you can check with TomLSTD or Patrick for more info.
I speak with Patrick regularly, I am just throwing it out there for other opinions. I am confident I will see him when/if I decide to purchase.

And the 2 reasons you mentioned, I dont care about.
Cuz I am selfish and that doesnt affect me.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,885

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


+1 to level5

And its easier and cheaper to repair.

Plus with me, it helped mentally to put track skin on because I didn't want to damage my minty oems, but in your case it may not matter
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I speak with Patrick regularly, I am just throwing it out there for other opinions. I am confident I will see him when/if I decide to purchase.

And the 2 reasons you mentioned, I dont care about.
Cuz I am selfish and that doesnt affect me.

Hate to tell you this but when the engine throws a rod or anything that leaks, and the oil or fluids goes out of the engine case. If you don't have a catch pan/cover, you will be the first to experience tire slippage and if you are top expert rider that can go slideways then I guessed that you don't have anything to worry about.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
+1 to level5

And its easier and cheaper to repair.

Plus with me, it helped mentally to put track skin on because I didn't want to damage my minty oems, but in your case it may not matter
Easier and cheaper is good.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
plastic is hardly repairable......a crack here and there is okay.....but most of the time the plastic OEM's won't fair as well as fiberglass body. plus as stated, it's easier to take racebody work on and off. and cheaper to replace if broken beyond repairs.

give me a holler if you ever want a set painted
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Hate to tell you this but when the engine throws a rod or anything that leaks, and the oil or fluids goes out of the engine case. If you don't have a catch pan/cover, you will be the first to experience tire slippage and if you are top expert rider that can go slideways then I guessed that you don't have nothing to worry about.
Well, in that case. ok.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,629

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I didn't...I just scraped up the OEM's....Ha Ha! Mine's a trackwhore and will be treated as such....except for oil changes, brake fluid flush, basic maint. stuff....
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I didn't...I just scraped up the OEM's....Ha Ha! Mine's a trackwhore and will be treated as such....except for oil changes, brake fluid flush, basic maint. stuff....
Why r u opting to NOT purchase aftermarket body work?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,629

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Why r u opting to NOT purchase aftermarket body work?
more money into a "hobby" that I already sink tons of money into (tires, oil changes, chains, sprockets, gas, hotels, etc.) doesn't make sense to me. If the oem's work, run 'em. However, all the decals were off my OEM plastics when I bought the bike, had they been on I would have sold them, made a little loot and purchased race plastics with custom paint. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. If you are racing, I'd consider aftermarket plastics....I have no intentions to race nor do I plan on crashing ever again. I can wish, right?
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
oh yeah, if you're lookin for the best bang for the buck bodywork.....

i'd contact larry meyers about getting some yoshimitsu bodywork. $326 shipped to your door. fitment isn't great, and requires a lil more work.....but they seem to crash fairly well. seen 2 sets go down at 100+mph.....both repairable and lookin good again.

if you want the absolute best fitment and finish....and you got the extra dough to spend, i would HIGHLY recommend Attack Performance, and second on that list would be sharkskins.

I have run Attack Performance on 3 of my bikes already, drill the marked spots and mount right up. fitment is spot on. finish looks second to none. now that i'm goin broke from having too many trackbikes and crashing a bunch last year.....i probably won't be able to afford attack anymore, and will just buy the yoshimitsu stuff.
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Attack race bodywork for the '08 GSXR is $765.00 plus shipping.

-Curt
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
oh yeah, if you're lookin for the best bang for the buck bodywork.....

i'd contact larry meyers about getting some yoshimitsu bodywork. $326 shipped to your door. fitment isn't great, and requires a lil more work.....but they seem to crash fairly well. seen 2 sets go down at 100+mph.....both repairable and lookin good again.

if you want the absolute best fitment and finish....and you got the extra dough to spend, i would HIGHLY recommend Attack Performance, and second on that list would be sharkskins.

I have run Attack Performance on 3 of my bikes already, drill the marked spots and mount right up. fitment is spot on. finish looks second to none. now that i'm goin broke from having too many trackbikes and crashing a bunch last year.....i probably won't be able to afford attack anymore, and will just buy the yoshimitsu stuff.
Forgive my naivety, but the yoshimitsu.. several months delivered or are they distributed from the states?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts
 
houseofpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 9,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
racers supply co. sells it.....they usually will have it shipped to your door within 7 business days.

i've ordered at least 7 sets for my customers already.....and the fastest i got it was within 3 days. the longest, was 1 1/2 week.
__________________
www.facebook.com/HouseOfPaintDesigns
Follow us on Instagram @hopdesigns

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Sharkskinz for the 08 gsxr-1k appears to be $826.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Jerran V
Senior Member
 
Jerran V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Med Center
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 475

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000









I have yoshimitsu on mine...no fitament issues
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
I have yoshimitsu on mine...no fitament issues
Yours looks good, Jerran. You rattle canned that, right??

-Curt
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy