MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
You can keep replacing bolt after bolt after bolt. When the head eventually strips out you can drill and tap it to take a larger thread bolt. When that falls out you can just put in another...just kidding As long as you're not afraid of someone drilling on your head you don't need to worry about it. It just might cost $50 - $75 to have a "mechanic" drill and tap and re-install the exhaust. It doesn't necessarily need to be a bike shop, but I'd recommend it.
been to shop twce- once for each side.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow bikes fast...or fast bikes slow...Fun? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-21-2013 09:04 AM
too slow pester Off Topic 8 06-22-2010 01:35 PM
I'm slow Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-12-2008 01:28 AM
Slow NoFear Forum Updates & Feedback 23 04-21-2008 11:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
qwezy

Feedback Rating: (0)

i don't think exhaust leak would cause vibration.basic check 1st tires pressure
,tires condition,front forks-rear shocks no leak...ect...or just simple as tires need re-balance.
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwezy View Post
i don't think exhaust leak would cause vibration.basic check 1st tires pressure
,tires condition,front forks-rear shocks no leak...ect...or just simple as tires need re-balance.
No- I'm afraid the vibration could be causing the bolts to break, or the nuts to loosen.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
I WANT a sport bike. I REALLY like the Ducati Monster 696. I can't find them anywhere used, though. Going to have to buy a new one, then I'll cry when it gets a scratch.
Go by Motorcycles Unlimited and check the monster they have available

GL fixing your "head" problem
Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Go by Motorcycles Unlimited and check the monster they have available

GL fixing your "head" problem
I've seen it- that's where my 'hawk goes for her dr. appointments. I want the 696, though. They've only been making/selling them this last year. I can't find them used, yet.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #26
jodyhudson

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
You guys know I ride a 250cc Nighthawk. I pretty much top out at 80 on the freeway, but go about 75 regularly. At this speed the bike vibrates a lot. If I slow to 60-65 the vibration is significantly less.

I've had problems with the head- it needs a new one, because the head gaskets have been lost, exhaust leaking = melted head. I chose not to replace it, because it's pretty expensive. I've had the bolts replaced on both sides, because they've broken. All this has happened since July. Now there is another broken bolt, but the other bolt is holding so far and the exhaust isn't leaking, yet. AND it has a small oil leak.

I commute on this bike -70 miles round trip. Do you think it would help with the head if I stopped pushing the bike so hard, or is the problem not related?

I don't know much about engines, so any and all advice will be accepted and heeded. Thanks!
first off... yes you are riding the outta that pour thang. it was not designed to do 70-80 mph all the time. the vibration could be alot of things, unbalanced tire, wheel bearings gone bad, all the way to the crank bearings goin south (which wouldnt surprise me if ur riding at those speeds all the time). sounds like u need a new bike. one that can handle the abuse ur putin it thru on a daily basis. the 696 would definately be a nice bike for ya, but u should take into concideration the cost of maintenace on one & the price of parts if you need to replace anything. ducati can be very pricey and in my opinion, not as reliable as bikes.

when u say the head melted, what exactly do you mean by that ? if ur still riding it, then obviously the head didnt melt. please explain....
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
first off... yes you are riding the outta that pour thang. it was not designed to do 70-80 mph all the time. the vibration could be alot of things, unbalanced tire, wheel bearings gone bad, all the way to the crank bearings goin south (which wouldnt surprise me if ur riding at those speeds all the time). sounds like u need a new bike. one that can handle the abuse ur putin it thru on a daily basis. the 696 would definately be a nice bike for ya, but u should take into concideration the cost of maintenace on one & the price of parts if you need to replace anything. ducati can be very pricey and in my opinion, not as reliable as bikes.

when u say the head melted, what exactly do you mean by that ? if ur still riding it, then obviously the head didnt melt. please explain....
And, hard to get!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
then u say the head melted, what exactly do you mean by that ? if ur still riding it, then obviously the head didnt melt. please explain....
Could it be that the head got warped?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #29
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:

The exhaust was obviously leaking for a while- I brought it into the shop when it started to backfire (I didn't realize the bolt was broken- only after the and gasket came off did I notice the problem). The head at *holes* where the exhaust fits was slightly melted- the threads for two of the bolts were damaged, but we didn't think it was enough to replace it.

I know about the cost of owning a Duc, but with the money I've put into my 'hawk this year, it's probably about the same

Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #30
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I know about the cost of owning a Duc, but with the money I've put into my 'hawk this year, it's probably about the same
I highly doubt it....check with BrutusTx on the maint. costs of owning a Duc....he's on to another set of clutch plates after 5k miles. and it ain't no cheap job/parts labor either.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #31
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I highly doubt it....check with BrutusTx on the maint. costs of owning a Duc....he's on to another set of clutch plates after 5k miles. and it ain't no cheap job/parts labor either.
well- I'm sure I've put over $1k already on the 'hawk. She's had a rough year. Plus, some bad service- not naming any names, but somebody did screw with my breaks twice

Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #32
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
yeah but I doubt that she will ever ride as hard as Brutus those slipper slutches are for Pantsy's that arent smooth you have to be smooth with the clutch
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #33
jodyhudson

Quote:
The exhaust was obviously leaking for a while- I brought it into the shop when it started to backfire (I didn't realize the bolt was broken- only after the and gasket came off did I notice the problem). The head at *holes* where the exhaust fits was slightly melted- the threads for two of the bolts were damaged, but we didn't think it was enough to replace it.

i see. buying another bike that doesnt require having its neck wrung out to get anywhere would be my best advice. it seems u have outgrown ur little 250. are there any bikes u like ? i just know all the headaches my friends who have owned or raced ducatis had and i dont think u'd wanna experience that. my buddy has a brand new 848 and the transmission has locked up on it 3 times. he has over $20k invested in that thang and now he just wants to sell it. he's sick of it breaking. alot of the other problems they have experienced are electrical parts crappin out. every single one of those guys is now on a bike or selling their duc to buy one.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #34
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

YOu should look for an SV 650....reliable affordable and easy to find...plus it would be a huge upgrade in performance over the Hawk...I can't beleive I am the first to suggest this...LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #35
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
yeah but I doubt that she will ever ride as hard as Brutus those slipper slutches are for Pantsy's that arent smooth you have to be smooth with the clutch
i guess im a pansy then u ride a busa. what would u know about slipper clutches u guys can only go fast in a straight line
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #36
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumper View Post
YOu should look for an SV 650....reliable affordable and easy to find...plus it would be a huge upgrade in performance over the Hawk...I can't beleive I am the first to suggest this...LOL
I DO like them- how high is the seat, though? I know the 696 has a height of 30.3". I wouldn't have to lower it. And how much does as SV weigh? Isn't it pretty heavy?

I KNOW I need a bigger bike. So... I'm going to slow down on the freeway and try to get another two months out of my 'hawk. Thanks for the advice/help/concerns. I do appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #37
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumper View Post
i was going to suggest it, but i was trying to steer her away from the 696 first
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #38
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
well- I'm sure I've put over $1k already on the 'hawk. She's had a rough year. Plus, some bad service- not naming any names, but somebody did screw with my breaks twice
he'll be near that mark I'm sure with one visit to the DR....

for a daily rider, you don't want a Duc....like Tumper suggested, look at the SV's...or if you want a cruiser still, look at the larger displacement models...something that won't be ridden so hard just to achieve 75 mph.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #39
jodyhudson

Quote:
I DO like them- how high is the seat, though? I know the 696 has a height of 30.3". I wouldn't have to lower it. And how much does as SV weigh? Isn't it pretty heavy?

I KNOW I need a bigger bike. So... I'm going to slow down on the freeway and try to get another two months out of my 'hawk. Thanks for the advice/help/concerns. I do appreciate it.
what about an Aprilia ? ever concider one of them ? they make sum cool stuff these days. check out the street 250 that is available:

Aprilia20RS12520Spains20No120m
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #40
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
You guys know I ride a 250cc Nighthawk. I pretty much top out at 80 on the freeway, but go about 75 regularly. At this speed the bike vibrates a lot. If I slow to 60-65 the vibration is significantly less.

I've had problems with the head- it needs a new one, because the head gaskets have been lost, exhaust leaking = melted head. I chose not to replace it, because it's pretty expensive. I've had the bolts replaced on both sides, because they've broken. All this has happened since July. Now there is another broken bolt, but the other bolt is holding so far and the exhaust isn't leaking, yet. AND it has a small oil leak.

I commute on this bike -70 miles round trip. Do you think it would help with the head if I stopped pushing the bike so hard, or is the problem not related?

I don't know much about engines, so any and all advice will be accepted and heeded. Thanks!
man im dirty minded..........sry 4 whoring your thread..

Advertisement