MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #41
Witch Dr.

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
99 R1

Mine was lowered and it handled like $hit but guess what? It's back to stock.
Witch Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering a bike? Grim_Reaper General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 03-24-2012 01:13 PM
Lowering a bike..... *RED* General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 12-10-2008 03:39 AM
Lowering Your Bike Captain How To's and Q & A's 14 07-23-2008 08:07 PM
lowering the bike, please help. level5 How To's and Q & A's 10 03-15-2007 06:58 PM
lowering bike yankee Performance and Modifications 13 12-31-2005 11:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
Captain
The Beast

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
GSX-R 1000

Member Garage

maybe because its a R1 and not a suzuki..lol!!!!!!
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #43
Witch Dr.

Bike(s):
99 R1

And to think I just posted on your meet and greet...Delete delete
Witch Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #44
Captain
The Beast

Bike(s):
GSX-R 1000

Member Garage

just kidding man..its a joke...lol!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #45
rugbystar13
Addicted to Excess

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-14
1997 Yamaha Vmax 200hp (recently sold)

Member Garage

I just lowered my 14 an inch all around and had Motorcycles Unlimited set the suspension with me on the bike. IMO I think the bike handles alot better than before, and it isn't too low, but it looks way better than before. Any track riding I do will be in a straight line. :}
rugbystar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #46
Captain
The Beast

Bike(s):
GSX-R 1000

Member Garage

So it handles great...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #47
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
you can still get over on the bike w it lowered, it just takes adjusting; like jumping on any other bike.

the difference is knowing why it feels different.

think of the front and rear of the bike as trees w a hammock between the two. if the hammock is tight(stock height) it takes little sway to get it to taunt, ie, little weight to get it to go over.

if the hammock is loose, it takes more effort to get it to sway since the trees haven't moved but the center of gravity is lower.

Cannot it be done? absolutely... I enjoy my 600 being low but its a preference.

Either way, MAKE SURE THE SUSPENSION IS ADJUSTED TO COMPENSATE. If it isnt... that's why your ride feels so horrible. Also to keep in mind... the chain needs to be readjusted as does the headlight aim.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #48
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
If you trust em you trust em. I just had to make the point. I just know I was against the lowering till I rode a lowered bike. I'm not short and dont need a lowered bike, but it is kinda nice. I have had a peg touch the ground a time or two. For those that cant get a good foot on the ground I think it would help. Do you really think the engineers planed on tippy toes? I'm just thinkin not.
what does that have to do with the bike coming stock with a clear screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunterdude View Post
lowered bikes handle like p**p
+1

its ok tho, only track i see him doing in the future is drag strip..so it should all work fine
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #49
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You said leave you bike the way the engineers intended. I just wanted to make the point that yours does not appear as intended. We all make changes that suit us and our individual wants or needs.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #50
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
You said leave you bike the way the engineers intended. I just wanted to make the point that yours does not appear as intended. We all make changes that suit us and our individual wants or needs.
thats what i figured u meant... but im no pro...

but i dont think changing a windsheild is quite the same as lowering a bike...

either way, like i said, lowering is should work out nicely for him...i dont see him at the road course track anytime soon....
Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #51
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Im not trying to sound like an a hole. I just thought about it and had to say it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #52
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Im not trying to sound like an a hole. I just thought about it and had to say it.
gotcha!

its all good!

maybe ill see u boys at the drag strip after nov. 9th (my last scheduled track day)
Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #53
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

As long as both the front and rear are lowered the same amount, the handling should stay the same. Only thing you lose is some cornering clearance which is only an issue for the track.

If you only lower the rear, it will slow down the steering, and vice versa on the front. What make most people not like lowered bikes is when just the rear is lowered.

I like a quicker steering bike; mine is raised an inch in the rear and lowered an inch in front.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #54
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Becareful when lowering suzukis by dropping the forks, don't drop them more then 1". Some of the fork tubes(the OD.) "taper down" below the upper and lower triple trees and dropping the fork tubes too much will put the tree in that tapered area and the trees won't clamp it correctly. Its particularly bad when the tree pinches the fork tube halfway between the thick od. and the thin od. I have seen the trees lose their grip on the fork tubes and let the tubes slide all the way and bottom out the suspension/chasis etc. That will dump you for sure.

Usually lowering the front 1/2" and leaving the rear at stock height or even raising it some will get you the best/sharpest/quickest steering for street riding/road coarse. Lowering the rear any will make it steer much slower. Personally I hate how lowered bikes handle(steering wise) but they tend to be a tad more stable at high speeds. I usually run my busa down 3/4" up front and down 1.5-2" in the rear on the street out of necessity, then when drag racing, I'll strap the front the rest of the way down and lower the rear to 3".

Now I have it back at stock height in the front to clear the intercooler and the rear is down about 1-1.5", its basically about level. I am sure its gonna steer like a truck but.....

My 1000 is stock height and steers/handles perfect.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #55
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
As long as both the front and rear are lowered the same amount, the handling should stay the same. Only thing you lose is some cornering clearance which is only an issue for the track.

If you only lower the rear, it will slow down the steering, and vice versa on the front. What make most people not like lowered bikes is when just the rear is lowered.
Yep exactly. I lowered the rear of my 636. The bike reacted slower to my inputs, but I had dropped it before and deiced going down 1.25"s in the rear felt better while stopped. In the front I left it at stock height because the forks are tapered and I didn't want to mess with them. After a few months (of scraping the bellypan) I realized I was no longer fearful of dropping her and went to Motorcycles Unlimited and had her raised up to stock and the suspension set.

First thing I noticed was wow...this is high. Second thing was wow this thing is flickable. Third thing was wow the highway ride felt harsh compared to being lowered. In the end I had overcome my fear of dropping her and had experienced both worlds. Since I was into SMRs at that point having the bike high was better for me.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #56
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

That chick at Lone Star Rally last year had the fork tube issues you mentioned. Ramirez something. Her steering was all jacked up.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #57
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
That chick at Lone Star Rally last year had the fork tube issues you mentioned. Ramirez something. Her steering was all jacked up.
Yeah I forgot about that. Her fork tubes were dropped so much that the clip on claps had no meat to grip onto on the fork tubes. The clamps were trying to grab the thin OD. of the tube and couldn't clamp tight enough to hold her clip on, on. Remember I rigged it for her at the rally and told her to go to Motorcycles Unlimited to get it raised back up some. Luckily the busas don't use clip ons but the same theory still applies to the fork tubes themselves. They will slide through the trees if the trees are clamping the small OD of the tubes.

In reality, on a busa, 3/4" is all thats REALLY safe to lower them. Not to mention any lower then that the fender will hit the upper on hard bumps/wheelies.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #58
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Mine is down 1.5" and I have hit once. It was a very big pot hole that snuck up on me at a high rate of speed. There was no damage though. He "Captain" rode it last night to see what he thinks. He just putted around the block so I dont think he really got a feel for it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #59
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingKing View Post
Yep exactly. I lowered the rear of my 636. The bike reacted slower to my inputs, but I had dropped it before and deiced going down 1.25"s in the rear felt better while stopped. In the front I left it at stock height because the forks are tapered and I didn't want to mess with them. After a few months (of scraping the bellypan) I realized I was no longer fearful of dropping her and went to Motorcycles Unlimited and had her raised up to stock and the suspension set.

First thing I noticed was wow...this is high. Second thing was wow this thing is flickable. Third thing was wow the highway ride felt harsh compared to being lowered. In the end I had overcome my fear of dropping her and had experienced both worlds. Since I was into SMRs at that point having the bike high was better for me.

that brings us back to a MAJOR point. you ONLY lowered the rear. that is a nono. you change you geometry drastically by doing that. If you would have lowered the front to match the rear, chances are you would not have felt much of a difference.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #60
Captain
The Beast

Bike(s):
GSX-R 1000

Member Garage

I did not want to waste the gas on the bike...but if you meet us up this week at the M&G I will be happy to take a spin...did like the bike dropped..feels much better!!!!

Advertisement