MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Skid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Angry Track Day Saftey Issue

In light of current events, I want to comment on an issue that is quickly becoming a real pet peeve of mine.

No matter what track day org you are riding with if you see someone doing something unsafe or blatantly breaking the rules set by the track day org, Report Them!!! Right after it happens. Pull in to hot pits and tell the grid marshal (or an instructor) so that it can be dealt with. It can be something as simple as (although highly dangerous) not signaling when pulling off the track or something worse like bad passing etiquette. Doing so could possibly prevent some of these track accidents from happening. Instructors canít see every single event on the track and we need the participants to help us out with safety concerns so that we can address them before something serious happens. Reading about an issue on a website after the fact, that was never reported, really ticks me off.

I think that it is safe to say that all of the track day orgs want one thing more than anything else. We want all of the riders to go home safe and in one piece. Please help us achieve this.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Last edited by Skid; 10-13-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the SAFTEY FIRST RALLY for a SNOW DAY urbanXJ Off Topic 12 02-03-2011 05:20 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

+1 billion to all above comments.

And please, all track day organizers, make sure you have a "process" to not only inform, but then monitor, those with "bad" behavior. This would include having a designated instructor pay special attention, notifying all corner workers of the need to monitor, discussing with riders in general at break out times....etc...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Well said Gavin!

Safety is the number 1 priority!, but it rakes everyone's help!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

we all see safety concerns, but they must not be overlooked. it could be me, it could be him, it could be you that is the unfortunate one. so please, like Gavin said TELL SOMEONE ASAP
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

In my particular case there was no harm and no foul so I did not see a reason to get with the officials, it was just a close call and I did not let it effect the rest of my day. It is kinda funny because the only thought that went through my head was " dude share the track" LOL we rubbed knees just a bit probaly cuz i ride like a frog.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Nana View Post
In my particular case there was no harm and no foul so I did not see a reason to get with the officials, it was just a close call and I did not let it effect the rest of my day. It is kinda funny because the only thought that went through my head was " dude share the track" LOL we rubbed knees just a bit probaly cuz i ride like a frog.
This time it was no harm.
There was an event at OHR about a year ago w/ CMRA and some asshat had crossed the track to exit w/o any signals cutting off Jason and myself causing a serious accident and massive medical expenses.

This time may not have caused harm but, it can and does happen.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Celine

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
R1 (street)
SV650 (track)
CR80 (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
[SIZE="3"]Instructors canít see every single event on the track and we need the participants to help us out with safety concerns so that we can address them before something serious happens. SIZE]
You guys do see a lot of stuff though. Just wanted to say thanks again. You had the offending person off the track and spoke with them before I got in to report the bad pass to control.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
-=DReaux=-
Amateur PiG Wrestler

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2000 RC-51

Safety @ TDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
You guys do see a lot of stuff though. Just wanted to say thanks again. You had the offending person off the track and spoke with them before I got in to report the bad pass to control.
I was guilty of poor (late) signaling to exit at MSR Adv. class last Sat. The gentleman kindly pointed that out to me and we discussed better signaling as it took him by surprize near the carrosel...

I find most riders will discuss it personally first, but I did notice some sketchy passes from the same rider... We should have reported the incident as a prevention....

Thanks for the reminder...

DReaux
-=DReaux=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
+1 billion to all above comments.

And please, all track day organizers, make sure you have a "process" to not only inform, but then monitor, those with "bad" behavior. This would include having a designated instructor pay special attention, notifying all corner workers of the need to monitor, discussing with riders in general at break out times....etc...
I have been one to come right off my bike, hunt down the offending bike and politely tell them what they did wrong and that not only would I be personally looking for him out there but also that I would have one of the instructors looking also. Safety is first, and help is appreciated. The CW's are our eyes and ears out there but they don't see everything in between. Good post
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
level5
moving chicane

I am gonna start reporting a lot of you, especially instructors passing closely, passing on the inside, riding faster than the group pace and always turning around to look in the back and tap the tail ends, doing wheelies.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

And I'm gonna find out who keeps wearing those 80's mesh bras / jerseys / dance outfits over their leathers. I know fashion has it's place, but there must have been 6 or 8 fast guys and girls out on Sunday at MSRH airing out their little flashdance skimpy fit perforated tees in green, blue, and other 80's colors. Some on Motohouston even have their little ghey jerseys on in their avatar pics. I know they are not sports figures cause they don't have numbers on the jerseys. I remember when guys wearing thongs, some even leopard print, was all the rage on MH. Now it's fashion on top of leathers. Next trackday I'm gonna wear my BVD's and a hot pink mossimo tank top on the outside, just cause I like em to fit snug and they look sexy.

Oh snap, that's instructors? Nevermind.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
And I'm gonna find out who keeps wearing those 80's mesh bras / jerseys / dance outfits over their leathers. I know fashion has it's place, but there must have been 6 or 8 fast guys and girls out on Sunday at MSRH airing out their little flashdance skimpy fit perforated tees in green, blue, and other 80's colors. Some on Motohouston even have their little ghey jerseys on in their avatar pics. I know they are not sports figures cause they don't have numbers on the jerseys. I remember when guys wearing thongs, some even leopard print, was all the rage on MH. Now it's fashion on top of leathers. Next trackday I'm gonna wear my BVD's and a hot pink mossimo tank top on the outside, just cause I like em to fit snug and they look sexy.

Oh snap, that's instructors? Nevermind.
lol, that was funny.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

Can I turn in the fast guys?
Dwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I am gonna start reporting a lot of you, especially instructors passing closely, passing on the inside, riding faster than the group pace and always turning around to look in the back and tap the tail ends, doing wheelies.

on topic though, a problem cannot be resolved if the problem is not mentioned. thanks for posting this gavin.....i hope everyone takes this post seriously.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
In light of current events, I want to comment on an issue that is quickly becoming a real pet peeve of mine.

No matter what track day org you are riding with if you see someone doing something unsafe or blatantly breaking the rules set by the track day org, Report Them!!! Right after it happens. Pull in to hot pits and tell the grid marshal (or an instructor) so that it can be dealt with. It can be something as simple as (although highly dangerous) not signaling when pulling off the track or something worse like bad passing etiquette. Doing so could possibly prevent some of these track accidents from happening. Instructors canít see every single event on the track and we need the participants to help us out with safety concerns so that we can address them before something serious happens. Reading about an issue on a website after the fact, that was never reported, really ticks me off.

I think that it is safe to say that all of the track day orgs want one thing more than anything else. We want all of the riders to go home safe and in one piece. Please help us achieve this.

as if there arent enough crybabies at the trackdays already
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #19
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Can I edit out my foolishness?

As long as each trackday has one position designated for on track safety it should never be considered nagging, bothering, or adding to stress and drawing from where attention is due. Instead, it's Standard Operating Procedure, and ALL at the track should be encouraged to respect the authority of the position and report all behavior accordingly.

Advertisement