Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Thanks Every1 & I Want 2 Share So Plz Read

I would like to thank everyone for the advice given concerning the post I posted seeking advice for the trip I planned this past weekend...Everyone who replied, thank you for your advice and support. Special thanks to Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited and all the guys there. My Ninja 250 is running great. I also want to thank all the folks @ Awesome Cycles.
Tonight around 12am I'm out riding my bike going to Taco Cabana, the one off of Richmond and Chimney Rock...(I'm really getting use to my new bike and I'm riding just about everywhere, except the freeway. Man I was on 45 a few days ago and I don't know what was worse. The constant wind blast from those big trucks or the fear I was experiencing. I was clinching the bike so tight, I think I left my thigh imprints on both sides Anyway that bike is way to small for the freeway if you ask me, so that aspect of my learning will take some time).
But back to my story. I'm riding down Renwick heading North and I had just passed Gulfton. I'm doing about 40-45 mph and I'm coming to the next light, It turns green as I'm approaching and I start to give the bike a little more gas, when out of no where this F-ing wrecker truck on my left, runs his red light making a left turn in front of me. I slam on both breaks hard and of course the front breaks lock, I start to skid so I let off of the front break and reapply this slowed the bike down enough for me to avoid that F-ing idiot....but I think I will need to wash my riding pants If you know what I mean. I was so scared, WTF was that fools problem he could have killed someone. Yeah ME!!!!!!
I do know one thing, was looking out for me and the MSF is a very very very valuable course to take. I mean the things I learned there few weeks ago saved my life tonight. I reacted on pure instinct. I did not even think about what I was doing I just did it..I'm still shaking and I can't sleep so Imma go watch Iron Man again. Everyone have a good night
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to share a ride, hotel & paddock space for the CMRA race at ECR jb.junior Taking it to the Track 0 04-04-2013 01:37 PM
URGENT PLZ READ 9teeneighty3 Off Topic 6 04-04-2008 02:09 PM
BW3 SW NEW INFO PLZ READ... !!! PoPoRiderRR Events, Meets and Rides 7 11-17-2007 06:02 PM
plz read for wed nite ride Spanish Fly Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-11-2007 08:41 PM
stop a sec & read this.... 86gixx Off Topic 1 04-01-2007 01:27 AM
Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Street ninjas four father
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

two fiddie (sold)
79' cb650 (4-sale)
2005 636 titanium

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to lightlord Send a message via Yahoo to lightlord
glad your ok.. people dont exactly look for us.. we have to watch them.. a risk you take every time you pick up the keys..
Originally Posted by Hookem2255 View Post
STREET NINJAS Not just a club...a revolution
Soldier 8 years
Firefighter 10 years
Streetninja for life
lightlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Staatsfeind Nr. 1
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
It's no so bad when you have a 600+
hughes40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
This is me.
Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Custom 2003 SV650

I'm glad to hear you kept your head and made a wise decision on your breaking. MSF is very valuable Don't worry- we were all new to riding at some point; eventually you'll get on the freeway and it'll be child's play.
THIS is me on my motorcycle. Any Questions?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #5

Member Garage

Front brake FTW! Glad you were ok!!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
veteran novice
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

07 sv650!

Member Garage

visibility mods help some.
i have a 10 inch by 4 inch (approximate, im just guessing) strip of reflective white tape on the back of my helmet. when light hits it, the thing glows like a HID light.
everyone behind me sees me, and on the sides i have reflective rim stripes.
im thinking of getting more of the reflective tape and putting it on my frame
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
El Brilliante
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Also, wind buffeting gets worse when you tense. Good riding technique means that you don't tense up your entire body and transmit it to the bike. I've read that at most anytime you should be able to freely move your elbow, freely & not to tight. It shows that you aren't gripping on for dear life.

To help.... I've put 10k on my 250. I'm taller than most @ 6-3. It may be better on a larger bike. But you'll get used to it, and learn how to deal with it. A larger touring/sport windscreen would help, and tuck in. Seriously though, you can do a 80 mph long distance trip just as easy on the 250. It just doesn't have a huge amount of torque. Just think of yourself as in a faster than normal car with your planned moves and you'll be fine. I rode my 250 back during the hurricane at 85-90 mph the whole time no issue (yes they do go that fast, they just run out of steam after 85 ish, and really lose it at 92-100ish).

You made a good call, don't get a bigger bike just cause its going to be "more comfortable" unless you plan on MAJOR long distance riding. Most people regret selling their 250.

Also read twist of wrist 1/2, they teach alot about riding technique and it will help you become much more competent. Most of us on here aren't here as posers, we're here because we are dedicated and love riding. We want to be better. It happens by reading, experince, friends, and time. It doesn't just happen because you put a couple months on, so keep going for it!

Good luck!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote