MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #81
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


i almost got hit by a minivan trying to avoid a squirrel

how much does a track day cost? i'd love to go to one. what do i need?
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
Need forest guide or directions for forest CG636 Off Topic 1 12-20-2009 02:29 PM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #82
slowblack05
please
 
slowblack05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 881

Experience: 1-3 months











Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
/subject. sorry to your thread. glad you made it out ok.

come out to a trackday and learn how to ride your bike right.

have a nice day.
ill be at MSR on the first, however it will be my first time running it clockwise, so not until afternoon will i rip into it.
i run mid 50's at TWS (Texas World Speedway), what you run out there?

and as you can see, i mentioned i use my front brake quite often on the track going around turns
__________________
I Love Haters
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #83
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i almost got hit by a minivan trying to avoid a squirrel

how much does a track day cost? i'd love to go to one. what do i need?
Prices vary by organization. 100 - 180 bux. Check the sponsor section.

You will need leathers. You can post a thread to borrow or you can rent from 50-100 bux.

That's it. It will be a learning experience greater than you can imagine. I would lay odds, that having done just one track day, you would not have went down where u did.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #84
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Dude.... please come do a track day. You will learn more than u ever imagined. 149 from Montgomery to Richards is not that dangerous. Not even at triple digits.

edit- The road is not dangerous. Cagers, road kill, cattle, tractors and dogs might be dangerous, but u did not mention any of those.
That's the BEST advice that has been given in this thread thus far.
__________________
Quote:
Those that say it can't be done, need to stop interrupting those who are doing it.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #85
slowblack05
please
 
slowblack05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 881

Experience: 1-3 months











Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i almost got hit by a minivan trying to avoid a squirrel

how much does a track day cost? i'd love to go to one. what do i need?
full leathers, boots, helmet, gloves.
registration for trackdays is between 100-170 depending on the place/organization.
pretty much it, bring your game face and take your time, start with the slowest crowd and learn the track/lines/BRAKING/gas control/body position etc.

i however wasn't normal, my first trackday i went out with level 4, however, i raced motorcross for 8 years, and rode street like it was the track
__________________
I Love Haters
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #86
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
full leathers, boots, helmet, gloves.
registration for trackdays is between 100-170 depending on the place/organization.
pretty much it, bring your game face and take your time, start with the slowest crowd and learn the track/lines/BRAKING/gas control/body position etc.

i however wasn't normal, my first trackday i went out with level 4, however, i raced motorcross for 8 years, and rode street like it was the track
Started in level 4! That's pretty rare. Are you racing now?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #87
slowblack05
please
 
slowblack05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 881

Experience: 1-3 months











Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Started in level 4! That's pretty rare. Are you racing now?
yessir i am, cmra next season. and you remember me from starbucks post oak, i was on the black cbr 1000rr with the blue forged wheels. that was FLYING through the turns, you came up to me and said to join superbikemoto, you remember talking to me
__________________
I Love Haters
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #88
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor
 
CarbonJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ELLIS TD
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 13,769

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage





while i agree with and disagree with most of the advice given here, the single best suggestion i read was to join a track day, get some first hand exp. from the guys that do it all the time, everytime on the track where it is safe.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #89
maxgs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
yessir i am, cmra next season. and you remember me from starbucks post oak, i was on the black cbr 1000rr with the blue forged wheels. that was FLYING through the turns, you came up to me and said to join superbikemoto, you remember talking to me
Ha ha ha. I plead the fifth. We must have been talking about flying around turns on a track.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #90
slowblack05
please
 
slowblack05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 881

Experience: 1-3 months











Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Ha ha ha. I plead the fifth. We must have been talking about flying around turns on a track.
so im going to say you remember me then, and you can understand (especially on TWS (Texas World Speedway)) why i started in 4, i went out 8 laps to warm up my new tires with level 2, and got off the track, i was almost running people over.

level 4 is much more fun, i love pushing it, as you know you have ridden with me
__________________
I Love Haters
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #91
TrevorC
Senior Member
 
TrevorC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pearland, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,406

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Are you trying to say that it's good advice to hit the front brake while in a turn, while in a lean, if you're too hot?
I do the same, its called trail braking...I do it into turn 1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) while in full lean...and keeping the throttle on a little bit, but not alot.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #92
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,636

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croe View Post
glad to hear your alright yo. A friend once told me " Croe...there are 2 types of riders in this world the ones that have fallen and the ones that will fall" I know it feels crappy but keep it on the up ^_^
'tis true for 95% of MC riders...it's bound to happen.

Congrats on coming out on the unscathed side.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #93
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,636

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
now after reading all of this I come to 2 conclusions...while TomLSTD & the avid trackday rider tell you braking (with the front) IS POSSIBLE, I gotta agree with FKNA and his "view" and not encouraging people with zero/little skill to use such method. HOWEVER,

I'd like to say that MH has been a community which promotes safety and "rider responsibilty". Take the speeds to the track....the forest (especially 3090) is no place to "learn".

Congrats again to walking away looseness. Tell us, what kind of gear where you wearing?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #94
Princess
MH's ex fake mod
 
Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 7,982

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti







Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
now after reading all of this I come to 2 conclusions...while TomLSTD & the avid trackday rider tell you braking (with the front) IS POSSIBLE, I gotta agree with FKNA and his "view" and not encouraging people with zero/little skill to use such method. HOWEVER,

I'd like to say that MH has been a community which promotes safety and "rider responsibilty". Take the speeds to the track....the forest (especially 3090) is no place to "learn".

Congrats again to walking away looseness. Tell us, what kind of gear where you wearing?

He didn't just say n00bs, he said to NEVER hit it at all, which I don't agree with . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Glad you're ok.....but hitting that front brake was your mistake. NEVER hit that sucker while in a curve
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #95
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


..
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #96
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


i found out that my helmet doesnt do triple digit speeds well at all. it compresses onto the face and shifts downward and vibrates just enough for you to see, but everything is blurry. i have been wanting another helmet for some time, and now that i have been down in this helmet that gives me a good excuse!
has anyone tried out the fulmer dazed and confused? i like the look of that helmet and it felt good on my head when i tried it on.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #97
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,636

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i found out that my helmet doesnt do triple digit speeds well at all. it compresses onto the face and shifts downward and vibrates just enough for you to see, but everything is blurry. i have been wanting another helmet for some time, and now that i have been down in this helmet that gives me a good excuse!
has anyone tried out the fulmer dazed and confused? i like the look of that helmet and it felt good on my head when i tried it on.

Fulmer is a "cheap" helmet....plain and simple. If you are looking to get a good quality helmet, without braking the bank check out the Scorpion line. I have personally tested them out. Great ventalation (sp?), little wind noise (compared to HJC's I have had in the past), and good protection. I smacked my noggin' REALLY effin hard on the pavement in my highside and came out only seeing a few stars. If you got the loot, spring for an Aria or Suomy....do us both a favor though ....skip the Fulmer.


P.S. If all you can afford is a Fulmer....go for it! I'd rather see someone wearing a Fulmer than no lid at all.

Also, make sure that helmet is fitted correctly. That thing should be SNUG on your face....not loose enough to squeeze a smoke in your mouth while pulling down on the chin bar
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #98
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


i wear glasses and cant do contacts, so i have to have enough wiggle room to put my glasses on.

maybe a modular helmet?
fulmer isnt the best i can do, i have liked the design of that helmet. i didnt know where fulmer stood in helmet quality. pretty much every time i ask, people tell me to get shoei or arai, which i so cant afford.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #99
dbuck
Stayin' Young
 
dbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Houston BW8/290
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 19,636

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk









Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i wear glasses and cant do contacts, so i have to have enough wiggle room to put my glasses on.

maybe a modular helmet?
I'd advise against those if possible. Moving mechanisms in a crash could possibly fail and you don't want that to happen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
fulmer isnt the best i can do, i have liked the design of that helmet. i didnt know where fulmer stood in helmet quality. pretty much every time i ask, people tell me to get shoei or arai, which i so cant afford.
Let me see if I can find some helmet rating websites. I know that the Scorpion was close to the top with Shoei and Arai in compression tests, wind noise, etc. All things considered, it will be your best bang for buck helmet, hands down.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #100
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,155

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!




Member Garage


i woke up a while ago, man i'm so sore! i have a little tingling sensation in my right arm like it's coming back from being asleep, and it hasnt gone away. whats up with that, i wonder.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy