MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #61
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
You track guys are going to get someone killed. Someone that has track time under their belt should be more responsible when dishing out advice. Some of you guys that have done track is advocating the use of a front brake when in a curve when confronted with a panic situation to someone that has never used their front brake in this fashion before. Talking about IRRESPONSIBLE.

I can understand encouraging someone to practice this technique, that way when they find themselves in a bad situation they will know how to apply it. But no, that's not what y'all are doing here. Y'all are advocating using the front brake in a curve, PERIOD. Telling someone to do that in a panic situation when they have never done it before is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE.

Common Ground: I think we can all agree practice practice practice.
i would much rather take advice from Rossi or Max Biaggi than go to starbucks and ask some guy how to ride. Just tossing it out there.

yes, common ground. practice.

but please, choose who you take advice from carefully.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
Need forest guide or directions for forest CG636 Off Topic 1 12-20-2009 02:29 PM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #62
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwezy View Post
thanks TomLSTD,Clayton,Cali,Cdill35....for great sharing riding experiences and technics. i really learn all as i can at any time,every time...just to be able to control my bike, be back home the end of a trip or a ride or a track day...can i ask this : my body position include my feet on pegs always on my toes is that good ? and how do i slide my right feet forward to palm/middle so i can step on rear brakes,especialy when i in right hand turn,street riding basicly??? as i remember when i had 06 BMW R1150R with called BMW motorrad intergral ABS system,i rarely used rear brake unless i was stuck in heavy traffic or red light to red light...and now Honda will comes out with called combi abs system...
yes Andy(right?). i'm always on my toes unless i'm shifting or braking. i have not seen the "combi abs" so i dont know. i have my ABS built into my brain.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #63
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

toes.

sugarandspice
Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #64
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
i would much rather take advice from Rossi or Max Biaggi than go to starbucks and ask some guy how to ride. Just tossing it out there.
I would venture to say that Rossi and Biaggi would be responsible enough to advise someone practice before applying.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #65
qwezy

Feedback Rating: (0)

i wish that Honda would let us try their newly designed CBR brakes system
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #66
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

Quote:
I would venture to say that Rossi and Biaggi would be responsible enough to advise someone practice before applying.
sorry. every time i ride i am practicing. i assumed it was teh same for everyone. "Time in seat" someone said it earlier.

i'm done talking about this. as i said before. take your advice for the starbucks street riders. or take it from the guys that know how to ride fast properly.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #67
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
sorry. every time i ride i am practicing. i assumed it was teh same for everyone. "Time in seat" someone said it earlier.

i'm done talking about this. as i said before. take your advice for the starbucks street riders. or take it from the guys that know how to ride fast properly.

I'm not about to get into a contest with you. What can I say, you're the man. You are the best rider out there. You are the GURU of riding. I bow at the feet of greatness.

Last edited by FKNA; 10-12-2008 at 06:56 PM.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #68
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
The time to learn how to modulate the front brake is NOT when your in a lean, finding yourself in a panic situation and trying to come out of it alive. The BULL$HIT advice that you are giving out to the masses is going to get one of these poor kids killed.

I agree that a person should practice and master all the techniques out there that will make them a better rider. But for you to come in here and tell people to use their front brake if the hit a curve to hot, what do you think is going happen. People that have NEVER done it will find themselves hitting a curve to hot, get into a panic situation and attempt to use your advice by front braking in that curve....someone is going to get hurt. And it me the FK off that advice is being thrown out there that can seriously get one of this kids hurt or killed.
Who said anything about trying to learn how to modulate the front brake while in a full lean? An intelligent person would learn how to modulate the front brake and the throttle and learn when to use it. Further, riders modulate the brakes every time they ride. Hopefully they are modulating the FRONT.

So, quit getting your panties in a wad. Riders need to recognize that they must learn how to use the front brake and fully appreciate how poorly the rear brake performs in comparison to the front in most circumstances. If you want to get upset about something, be that some sport bike riders use the rear brake almost exclusively instead of having been taught how to use the front. Read through the threads where riders are in a panic stop situation and they describe how they locked up the rear tire.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #69
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
You track guys are going to get someone killed. Someone that has track time under their belt should be more responsible when dishing out advice. Some of you guys that have done track is advocating the use of a front brake when in a curve when confronted with a panic situation to someone that has never used their front brake in this fashion before. Talking about IRRESPONSIBLE.

I can understand encouraging someone to practice this technique, that way when they find themselves in a bad situation they will know how to apply it. But no, that's not what y'all are doing here. Y'all are advocating using the front brake in a curve, PERIOD. Telling someone to do that in a panic situation when they have never done it before is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE.

And an rider that puts his bike into a full lean without understanding how to moderate the front brake? That's the person who is irresponsible, not the people trying to communicate the correct way to ride.

Last edited by maxgs; 10-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #70
qwezy

FKNA,i think this thread in "general discussion" section,you know right,aren't you ?
and i don't see that Loosnose's state any that called "panic situation".
just try understand why he didn't feel good take the turn-what did he felt ?
just share to him how to slow the bike down go through the turn.i agree with you not using front brake on sudden bikes (sidecars-trikes-choppers...) through the turn but not on my sport bike period.
it just comes down to each bike-each rider-riding experiences-street-tracks-twisty-blind corner-mountain up/down hill-road / weather condition.....and practice !!!
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #71
Marksvs
Marksvs

Bike(s):
08 Buell 1125R
07 SV1k Stolen
lots of others

Member Garage

the bad luck

Sorry to hear that sucks you gotta spend $ just to sale it
Glad your okay. Couldhave been worse

I have had many bikes, its not getting bored with them that I need to work on!
Marksvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #72
Marksvs
Marksvs

Bike(s):
08 Buell 1125R
07 SV1k Stolen
lots of others

Member Garage

Whoa...I just read all the posts, it takes time to learn things esp. if your out riding your usual pace..
can people just be glad the guy is okay...

I have had many bikes, its not getting bored with them that I need to work on!
Marksvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #73
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Good discussion based over a learning experience...
Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #74
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Rather than getting in a contest over braking in a corner, maybe we should figure out why he didn't just make the turn and not brake in the first place? He learned a hard lesson about riding your own pace and not getting sucked into a corner.

And my $.02 front brake over rear everytime.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #75
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

hittin brakes in a turn never a good thing bro, especially when at sprinting speeds, keep away from the rear, glad your ok noose, you should realise how lucky you are bro
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #76
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i have been thinking about my 70mph slide all day. that was intense. i still cant believe how surreal it was. it took like 3 hours for me to get my breath all the way back and the adrenaline to go back to normal. my first bike wreck on my first hard ride down 149.
i only rode the part of 149 between montgomery and richards. i did a couple of runs through before i stopped on that side street for a break and then saw the cluster groups of sport bikes flying past.
dude, the guys i saw were going omgwtf fast. i was maybe half a minute behind when i got up to speed, but i got well into the triple digits before i gave up pursuit.

anyways. i dont have pics of the bike yet. i'll probably get some tomorrow. im going over to my parent's house to utilize their garage and clean the rest of the dirt out of my bike.

i was poking around the bike earlier and i think the only thing i need to get is a new blinker! wow!
the shifter bent, but didnt break, and i got it mostly straightened out with my foot- while riding, even! the shift linkage (the little rod thing. im not sure of the name) that goes from the shifter to the transmission is pretty bent inward, but it didnt kink or bend very horribly, so i think it can be straightened out. the handle bars were turned back and i think pushed a little to the right. my motrex bar end mirrors are not damaged any. and the bump on my leg is the only damage i got.

it's really changed my view on motorcycle safety. if i went offroad the same way in my car- i'd be pretty screwed.
my bike's repair bill will probably not even pass $100.
im pretty happy about it all
maybe i'll keep the bike after all. i was looking at an r6, tl1000s or r, and some other supersports, but i think i might benefit from practicing on my sv for a while longer
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #77
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

very lucky! im glad i went down where i did!
i almost hit a tree that fell from ike. i slid right up to it, the bike was in it's limbs on the ground
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #78
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
you can loosen all the fork bolts and the center tree nut w the bike suspended to straighten the handlebars; If you have an oem clip-on they can be bent back a little; but if its severe, ebay or replace it to be safe.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #79
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

im considering replacing with another bar. the one i have is pretty cheap, and vibrates a lot at high speed. it cost me a whole $20 online. i saw a renthal fatbar on ebizzle for i think it was $35. i just need to figure out if it will fit.
a dirbike bar would be pretty cool too, with the crossbar and the padding. sweet.
people at work seem to think my sv is a dirtbike, that would just confuse them even more, lol
Old 10-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #80
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i have been thinking about my 70mph slide all day. that was intense. i still cant believe how surreal it was. it took like 3 hours for me to get my breath all the way back and the adrenaline to go back to normal. my first bike wreck on my first hard ride down 149.
i only rode the part of 149 between montgomery and richards. i did a couple of runs through before i stopped on that side street for a break and then saw the cluster groups of sport bikes flying past.
dude, the guys i saw were going omgwtf fast. i was maybe half a minute behind when i got up to speed, but i got well into the triple digits before i gave up pursuit.

anyways. i dont have pics of the bike yet. i'll probably get some tomorrow. im going over to my parent's house to utilize their garage and clean the rest of the dirt out of my bike.

i was poking around the bike earlier and i think the only thing i need to get is a new blinker! wow!
the shifter bent, but didnt break, and i got it mostly straightened out with my foot- while riding, even! the shift linkage (the little rod thing. im not sure of the name) that goes from the shifter to the transmission is pretty bent inward, but it didnt kink or bend very horribly, so i think it can be straightened out. the handle bars were turned back and i think pushed a little to the right. my motrex bar end mirrors are not damaged any. and the bump on my leg is the only damage i got.

it's really changed my view on motorcycle safety. if i went offroad the same way in my car- i'd be pretty screwed.
my bike's repair bill will probably not even pass $100.
im pretty happy about it all
maybe i'll keep the bike after all. i was looking at an r6, tl1000s or r, and some other supersports, but i think i might benefit from practicing on my sv for a while longer
Dude.... please come do a track day. You will learn more than u ever imagined. 149 from Montgomery to Richards is not that dangerous. Not even at triple digits.

edit- The road is not dangerous. Cagers, road kill, cattle, tractors and dogs might be dangerous, but u did not mention any of those.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement