MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i just had a fall down in the forest

i kinda thought it would happen. i was having a rest on a side road when i saw what looked like some bikes i have recognized from here, so i tried to catch up to them. they were going way too fast for me, so i slowed down. some bmw sportbike flew past me, and i rode their tail for a couple of miles. we went into this longish left turn and it didnt feel good at all. i slowed down and gave a little brake as i saw the edge of the gravel coming up to me.
i dont know what happened next. i came off of the bike and gently hit the ground at i guess 70mph or so.
it was crazy, sliding and rolling along.
i got up and saw my tires smoking and my bike was still running. i didnt feel hurt, but checked myself out and was ok except for a bump on the leg.
the bmw rider stopped and several other people stopped to help out. THANK YOU, GUYS!
i was in the mood to just walk away but other than a few replaceable parts being bent, the bike was ok!
i didnt ride my own ride and lost control. im glad i was wearing my gear, as i always do.
THANKS GUYS!
oh, and to the guy i was possibly selling my bike to, uhhh... i wrecked it. it's still for sale if you want it. i'm replacing all the broken stuff on tue probably.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Champions Forest Area neighborhoods & Homes-Greenwood Forest Huntwick Ponderosa Petro Off Topic 136 03-13-2014 06:02 AM
Need forest guide or directions thru forest CG636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-21-2009 10:16 AM
Need forest guide or directions for forest CG636 Off Topic 1 12-20-2009 02:29 PM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
Forest Gnomes: Sat 10.25: GSS or Forest? CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 27 10-20-2008 08:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Which brake did you hit, the front?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

both. i gave a little front, but i think i freaked right before i ran offroad and gave too much, but not stomped, the rear
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

good thing your ok
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
qwezy

Feedback Rating: (0)

glade you ok man and which brake (front or rear) did you apply ? i 99% use the front.mistake always happen again happy that you good.post some pics of bike if you can !!!
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
both. i gave a little front, but i think i freaked right before i ran offroad and gave too much, but not stomped, the rear
Glad you're ok.....but hitting that front brake was your mistake. NEVER hit that sucker while in a curve
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Croe
Kogasamaru (Fate changer)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki 08 z1000

Send a message via Yahoo to Croe
glad to hear your alright yo. A friend once told me " Croe...there are 2 types of riders in this world the ones that have fallen and the ones that will fall" I know it feels crappy but keep it on the up ^_^
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Kudos on the gear!

Somethings arent as easily replaceable.

Glad you came out good. And the bike didn't shut off after going down? Mmmm...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Glad youre ok, falls are never fun. It is weird though that the bike didnt shut off after being down
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Glad you're ok.....but hitting that front brake was your mistake. NEVER hit that sucker while in a curve
bad advice.

just throwing it out there. you might wanna do a track day and learn how to brake into corners. its front brakes. light amount of rear brake if you are still to hot.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Most people on the street dont cover their brake and grab w a full hand.

So moderating brake w two fingers is a new concept without practice.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
bad advice.

just throwing it out there. you might wanna do a track day and learn how to brake into corners. its front brakes. light amount of rear brake if you are still to hot.
Are you trying to say that it's good advice to hit the front brake while in a turn, while in a lean, if you're too hot?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Are you trying to say that it's good advice to hit the front brake while in a turn, while in a lean, if you're too hot?
its doable. you can even stay on the throttle while doing it.

the problem is when load shifts that aren't corrected for by the rider. The transition needs to be soft. The front will compress, shorten the wheelbase and add weight to the front, off the rear wheel. But if there is still momentium not all the weight will advance to the front and control(no jerking, wobbling etc) will be retained.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 10-12-2008 at 01:37 PM.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
its doable. you can even stay on the throttle while doing it.

the problem is when load shifts that aren't corrected for by the rider. The transition needs to be soft. The front will compress, shorten the wheelbase and add weight to the front, off the rear wheel. But if there is still momentium not all the weight will advance to the front and control(no jerking, wobbling etc) will be retained.
Anything is doable. But for someone to come in here telling me I'm giving out bad advice......what can I say, they're way off base. What kind of information would you like to be out there for the masses when they find themselves in a panic situation?
1) Leave that front brake alone
or
2) To slow down when hitting a curve to hot, it's ok to use the front brake, just make sure you do this just right, but you don't want to do this, and don't forget about blah blah blah......
Which bit of information do you think is going to get someone into trouble?

So I will reiterate MY ADVICE...if you come into a curve to hot and you're already into your lean, STAY AWAY FROM THE FRONT BRAKE. If ANYONE doesn't believe me, go find yourself a curve, get into your lean, hit your front brake. Then come back here and post up the results.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It can get real hairy real fast if you have to hit the front in a panic and in a turn. I can see where a lot of riders go down doing it.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I was responding to the questions provided.

If you're riding beyond your abilities or not braking/load changing between each corner you take(yes most dont) that's on you and your choice to ride the bike and put yourself in further cautious situations.

I dont comment on situations because I always leave myself room because I ride lines when cornering backroads; that's what I do when I lead to help the riders behind me learn to straighten out roads but also give enough room for manuevering.

Even a panic stop in a corner while braking lessens speed which improves handling over a highspeed off roading excursion. Even then there is more to learn like letting go of the front brake when hitting gravel and coasting to a stop.

Where most go wrong, and why most have been told not to brake in corners, is the effect of the bike straightening up and not taking the original line set by the rider. It make she bike feel unresponsive. This is where the skill and practice comes into place. People that aren't practicing these skills when they ride wont have them when they are needed.

Same said, what happens when you cant lean more? like a more aggressive apex is coming ahead, you cut out too far to the center of the road prematurely and a car is coming on the incoming lane? Decelling w the throttle will take all the weight off the rear tire and control will be jeopardized.

The more tools you have to work with the more prepared you will be for a situation not expected. That is the eccense of riding, avoidance through preparation.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

what he said!
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
I was responding to the questions provided.

If you're riding beyond your abilities or not braking/load changing between each corner you take(yes most dont) that's on you and your choice to ride the bike and put yourself in further cautious situations.

I dont comment on situations because I always leave myself room because I ride lines when cornering backroads; that's what I do when I lead to help the riders behind me learn to straighten out roads but also give enough room for manuevering.

Even a panic stop in a corner while braking lessens speed which improves handling over a highspeed off roading excursion. Even then there is more to learn like letting go of the front brake when hitting gravel and coasting to a stop.

Where most go wrong, and why most have been told not to brake in corners, is the effect of the bike straightening up and not taking the original line set by the rider. It make she bike feel unresponsive. This is where the skill and practice comes into place. People that aren't practicing these skills when they ride wont have them when they are needed.

Same said, what happens when you cant lean more? like a more aggressive apex is coming ahead, you cut out too far to the center of the road prematurely and a car is coming on the incoming lane? Decelling w the throttle will take all the weight off the rear tire and control will be jeopardized.

The more tools you have to work with the more prepared you will be for a situation not expected. That is the eccense of riding, avoidance through preparation.
I agree with you there 100%. The more tools/experiences/knowledge one has while out riding, the better. One should know what their capabilities are, what their bikes capabilities are. Unfortunately, too many don't put forth the effort to learn all the ins and outs.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
I agree with you there 100%. The more tools/experiences/knowledge one has while out riding, the better. One should know what their capabilities are, what their bikes capabilities are. Unfortunately, too many don't put forth the effort to learn all the ins and outs.
True. And unfortunately the only one that can gauge that is the rider themselves. Just like people going down then getting frame sliders or gear, sometimes too little too late. That's another reason I enjoy these bike communities; awareness is key
Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

it stands the bike up if you hit the front brake in a curve right? i would think if you are in the right gear then your engine braking/throttle control would give you all the proper braking you need. but if you are going way too fast for that then i guess to use the brake would be my only choice right? but are you all saying that it would be better to just try and make the corner hot then try and use the brakes? or brake a little and let the bike stand up a bit and then recommit to the turn?

on a side note i realized why i crashed at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my first track day and then yesterday at MSR when i went off into the gravel once cuz i overshot turn 17(????) it wasbecause i thought i had let off the throttle enough approaching the corner and had set a steady maintenance throttle then started braking. in mid turn i realized i was wayyy too hotand i was over shooting the turn so i relaxed my right and a that cut the throttle down. once that happened i was immediately out of trouble and was back on the racing line. Once i realized what i was doing wrong i made sure every turn i backed off enough throttle and then i was running my fastest times of the day. I even got both knees down later that day for the first time :P
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement