MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
randomwalk101

Feedback Rating: (1)

Engine cut out problem

Sup guys,

So I decided to drive (the 08 Ninja 250R to Dallas from Houston (about 4 hours drive by car). Took me like 7 hours because of a) traffic b)stopped and rested 3 times at rest area c) stopped by a Walmart to buy some elastic bands to tie down my cargo (JCWhitney large trunk mounted on an extra stock rear seat like one of the member here did). The problem was the seat/junk just keep popping off...the locking mechanism probably bad so i'll have to bring it in for the dealer to replace it later or something. Wow, I'm all ache now..

Anyways, here is the problem. Filled up the tank, drove until just a little over 1/2 a tank left and during one of the acceleration/decelleration (going up some minor incline/hill on the freeway), then NO POWER...GONE...coasting to the feeder, clutch in to downshift and the engine cuts out, oil light came on etc...Pulled over, shut everything off, turn it on and crank, boom on...back to normal...drove about maybe 20 miles or so same thing happened again...pulled over did the same thing to bring her back, pulled over to a gas station and fill her up to full...drove like normal until just a little over 1/2 a tank left and the same thing happened again.

It appears to me that somehow either a)when 1/2 tank left, not engine weight or fuel being force out enough to feed the bike and starve it fuel causing it to shut down??
b) at 1/2 tank, enough room in there to create enough vaccumm effectively pulling the fuel back into the tank instead of feeding the carbs thus starving the bike (carbs bikes like this, fuel are feed by gravity) causing the shutdown?

Anyways, so I test my theory...no fill up this time...I just pulled over when she dies again (power loss at 1/2 tank), openned the fuel tank and drive like that...NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER..I drove like may be 60 miles or more no shutdown/power loss or whatever...

So what I'm thinking now is I have a ventilation problem or may be a defective gas cap that doesn't relieve the vaccumm pressure inside the tank fast enough causing this problem.

BTW, anyone experienced this issue?? I drove the bike to empty before but that's mostly city driving (going slow, red lines, lots of stop/shutdown at coffee shops etc.) so it didn't happened..this is going 80-95mph consistently over the freeway for extended periods of time.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for the advice.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine starting/idling problem for a 2006 ninja 500r Z1000 How To's and Q & A's 7 11-25-2010 02:09 PM
Kawi ATV engine problem? flipstyledsm22 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 08-05-2010 10:10 PM
2008 Ninja 250 fuel cut out problem randomwalk101 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-07-2009 06:36 PM
Being Cut Off... amber|alexis General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 08-18-2008 02:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

If removing gas cap solved the problem then the gas cap is defective.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
level5
moving chicane

BTW, my first time doing it (Dallas to Houston) on a cruiser takes me 5 hours and hurts my back. I had to filled up 3 times. Other times on sportbike takes me 2.5-3 hours with only 1 stop to fill up. Can you imagine how fast you have to ride to make it 2.5 -3 hours?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
qwezy

yes,kawi does have problem with gas tank vent (either same problem you have now or high pitch whissle noise).if you have your bike extra key with you now stick it in gas cap lock so you can vent gas tank when it happen....
hope you make to Dallas safe and call kawi dealer up there tomorow for the fix
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
randomwalk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
BTW, my first time doing it (Dallas to Houston) on a cruiser takes me 5 hours and hurts my back. I had to filled up 3 times. Other times on sportbike takes me 2.5-3 hours with only 1 stop to fill up. Can you imagine how fast you have to ride to make it 2.5 -3 hours?
Can't drive too fast..it's a 250 I did saw a few sportbikes blew past me...i was doing like 80mph at the time, and he blew past me like I was standing still...no thanks, I'm enjoying my ride.

Thanks for pin-pointing out the problem..I'll bring it in for the dealer to take a look. Swapping out the gas cap will have to swap out my ignition/rear tail lock too?

BTW, yeah I have that whistling sound when riding in hot sun...I wear earplug all the time so it didn't bother me too much
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
qwezy

be safe out there at night Randomwalk101.just post up when you arrive your destination
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
randomwalk101

Actually I was thinking of doing something like this to help with a)ventilation problem b) eliminate the noise/whistling issue...

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=107901

but if I drill, the dealer probably void the warranty on the cap :(
Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
randomwalk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwezy View Post
be safe out there at night Randomwalk101.just post up when you arrive your destination

I made it to Dallas. thanks for the concern..it was very nice of you. Have a great weekends.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
qwezy

no not yet,i would wait see how dealer would fix this,they may replace an updated gas cap with vent hole in it and no new key needed.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
qwezy

glad you made it,now enjoy your staying there and back soon ha
Old 10-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
randomwalk101

Hey guys,

I posted this same message on another forum for help and one of the member there suggested it was the carburator vent hose is pinched/blocked. This is the hose that vent the float in event that it's floaded (so I was told). This is a large hose that run from the middle of the carb to the front of the swing arm..

Anyways, I checked for pinch, none observed...however if I tried to blow into the free end of the hose, I couldn't blow into it...Is it supposed to be blocked like this or should I be able to blow freely? If it's blocked, must be somewhere inside the carb, which I don't see how/why...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's either a fuel vent problem or a petcock pick up issue.
What happens if you turn the to reserve when it dies?
If possible, give me a call at the shop and I can walk you through a few things to check.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
randomwalk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It's either a fuel vent problem or a petcock pick up issue.
What happens if you turn the to reserve when it dies?
If possible, give me a call at the shop and I can walk you through a few things to check.
Thanks for the reply Patrick. I have an 2008 Ninja 250R and there is no reserve...we just have a fuel guage so when it say it's empty, it's gone

I'll give you call Tues or so when your shop opens. I'm stuck here at work...on UT/OU game....but we won 45 vs 35...so it's all good

Advertisement