MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Puig blasts Hayden

Quote:
Dani Pedrosa's manager Alberto Puig has launched a stinging attack on the Spaniard's departing Repsol Honda team-mate Nicky Hayden - saying that the American used to 'copy' Pedrosa's settings because he can't set-up a bike himself, was never a rival to Pedrosa and is a 'hypocrite' for claiming that he doesn't have a problem with Dani.

During an interview with the official MotoGP website, former 500cc race winner Puig was asked about the wall which now divides the Repsol Honda pits, following Pedrosa's shock mid-season switch to Bridgestone tyres. Hayden has indicated that he doesn't like the idea of a team being divided.

"All I can say is that Hayden may be bothered because now he can't access information and telemetry data from Dani's bike," replied Puig. "With this information he was able to improve his riding, as he had all of Dani's references and now he can't use that any longer. He was simply copying as he never knew how to set-up a bike."

But that doesn't seem to be reflected in terms of results. In the three races since the Repsol Honda pits were divided, Hayden has enjoyed his best form of the season - claiming two podium finishes and beating Pedrosa in two of the three races.

Indeed, during the last three rounds, Hayden has scored 47 points, while Pedrosa has managed just 24. It should of course be noted that Pedrosa is still adapting to his new tyres and the pneumatic-valve engine and also fell on lap one of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Turning to the subject of the prickly relationship between Pedrosa and Hayden, Puig admitted that it hasn't been the same since Dani collided with Hayden at the 2006 Portuguese Grand Prix - eliminating Hayden from the world championship lead with just one round to go.

Hayden subsequently won the title at the Valencia season finale, during which Dani waved him past early in race, but Puig claims the 2006 world champion has acted like a 'hypocrite' and is 'jealous'.

Everything changed with the incident in Portugal, where Dani made a mistake during the race and apologised for it afterwards," said Puig. "Nicky eventually won the title and Dani did what he had to do in Valencia, which was to help him. But from that point - even if Hayden denies it- all he's been doing has been talking about how Dani was 'weird' and bringing the people around Pedrosa into the subject. He shouldn't act like a hypocrite and say that he doesn't have a problem with Dani, because since that incident in Portugal I think he has talked to him about twice. He shouldn't involve Dani's manager in this just because he's jealous of another rider.´

But Puig played down any rivalry between Pedrosa and Hayden, since Hayden 'was always behind him'.

"Honestly, and without trying to offend anyone, there was never a rivalry in the garage," he said. "Nicky won the title when Dani was in his first MotoGP season, and since then there was no rivalry because he [Hayden] didn't get the results. On his own, Dani gained experience in this class and Nicky was always behind him, so Nicky has never been a serious rival."

Although Hayden hasn't won a race since 2006, he remains Honda's most recent MotoGP champion, with Pedrosa finishing second in 2007 and currently third in the 2008 standings with two rounds to go.

Hayden will switch to Ducati next season when Pedrosa, Honda's only MotoGP race winner since 2006 with four victories on the RC212V, will be partnered by Andrea Dovizioso. Puig admitted that Pedrosa is under pressure to secure the title.
"For sure we didn't get the results we expected or that Honda expected this year. It happened to Hayden this year and they eventually got rid of him, and it could also happen to Dani Pedrosa at some point if he doesn't get the results," admitted Puig. "For a manufacturer such as Honda, all that counts is getting the title. Any professional rider is aware of this, and like in Hayden´s case, you should know that what makes the difference is not the fact that your crew is doing more or less or saying this and that, but what the rider is able to do on the track every Sunday."

Puig also responded to claims that he runs the Repsol Honda garage.

"In my opinion, those who say that just lack respect to Honda and the work that they do," he replied. "All I can do is bring my experience of racing like Honda has asked me to do, as I've been working for a long time with Pedrosa and Honda, forming the 125cc and 250cc teams and winning three titles with them. If you refer to Hayden saying that I'm the one who's in charge or used to be in charge, then he has to understand that in this job and in this paddock, anyone who believes he is in charge of anything is simply wrong. Nobody has control over things or is in charge of anything - results decide everything and put the people in the place they are."

And what of Dovizioso's promotion to the factory Honda team in 2009?

"It is a logical step for a rider who has ridden for Honda his entire career, through 125cc, 250cc and MotoGP. [Dovizioso] has shown loyalty to the factory, and now he gets a perfect move for him," he said. "As for how it will affect us? It really won't change much and won't affect our way of working. He will be another rival on the track."
What a crock of
Man, I hope Puig and Pedrosa get caned next year.
No mention that although Nicky won Honda the World Championship they then built the 800 around Danny
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cager blasts Motorcyclist Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 10-11-2012 09:25 AM
Puig Windscreen Amanda Taking it to the Track 11 07-15-2008 10:32 PM
Looking for a PUIG windscreen aboo007 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 10-25-2007 12:31 AM
Two nice Buell Blasts Greenway Smokey General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-03-2005 11:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

sour grapes
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

wow next time on as the world turns.....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
GIXXER DAWG

Feedback Rating: (0)

What's the source for this article? You gotta be careful about what you read if it comes out of some of these European motorags. Those guys are notoriously shameless when it comes to exaggerating if not lying outright just to stir up drama.

I just ask because it seems a little over the top, even for Puig. I know the guy IS a d!ck and Pedro is his puppet so he's extremely bias but there are too many holes in this story. It also looks like it has been translated from something else to English which also usually creates problems with the accuracy of comments like this.
GIXXER DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Spain backing Spain, eh? Repsol is Spanish and Puig and Pedrosa are fellow countrymen, so this is no real surprise. It's not the first time that accusations of stealing set-up information between teammates has surfaced from the paddock, either. Notable is that Puig only won one grand prix and never finished better than 5th in the standings in his 500cc grand prix career. Why is that notable? If you're a winner you're probably not a whiner.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
GIXXER DAWG

It isn't just Spain & Spain. Puig's been Dani's manager/mentor for his entire career. Puig's future is completely in Dani's hands.

On the source, I take back what I said. It is on Motogp.com so it is pretty legit:
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/P...sol+Honda+role

I guess Puig really is that big of a d!ck. Even if he wanted to, how could Hayden make use of anything from Dani when they ride so differently and haven't even been using the same motor until recently?
GIXXER DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
does anyone still think Hayden is making a bad move going to Ducati? I don't.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Hayden is about 11" taller and 120lbs heavier than Pedrosa, right? So how (or why) would he steal set-up data?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Ahh the spanish.
Gotta love em.
not.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Give me a break....period.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
When you have a Spanish sponsor, backing a Spanish team, with a Spanish rider - the last thing you want is an American rider "not" praising them and doing things their way.

Did you guys forget what Repsol did with Valention? Remember they promised him they'd give him the 500cc 2 smoke machine if he won the championship? You know where that machine is now? It's in Japan in a museum.

Repsol's a shameless company with great products, great funding and great riders.

Management - not so great.

For Hayden to go to Ducati so early, and that also not praising "Repsol" much in the interviews - would have deffinitly off a lot of Repsol officials. Puig deffinitly being one of them.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
handozizle

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati 848
2004 GSXR 600-Sold

Send a message via AIM to handozizle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
What a crock of
Man, I hope Puig and Pedrosa get caned next year.
No mention that although Nicky won Honda the World Championship they then built the 800 around Danny
I agree with you. That was about the dumbest comment ever. I hope Hayden can fight for the title wtih Ducati next year. BTW didn't he have something to do with Stoner also?
handozizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Eh...its honda, they suck.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Maybe Pedrosa's pit needs some lessons from Hayden's.........so Dani can find a way to stay on his bike.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
wow, that article is flat out enraging! good for nicky to get his out of there. it's too bad he's been riding hondas for 20+ years and this is how he's been treated for the past 3 years. total slap in the face for him.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
wow, that article is flat out enraging! good for nicky to get his out of there. it's too bad he's been riding hondas for 20+ years and this is how he's been treated for the past 3 years. total slap in the face for him.
Now Nicky & Colin have something else in common, they have both been screwed by Honda
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Now Nicky & Colin have something else in common, they have both been screwed by Honda
Yep. I love (and ride) Hondas, but HRC/Honda Racing are generally speaking big a-holes.

Colin himself said that he could not believe the welcoming/family atmosphere of the Yamaha team...

Honda racing is a corprate grinder. Win, or be gone. Next in line please...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Yep. I love (and ride) Hondas, but HRC/Honda Racing are generally speaking big a-holes.

Colin himself said that he could not believe the welcoming/family atmosphere of the Yamaha team...

Honda racing is a corprate grinder. Win, or be gone. Next in line please...

Could'nt agree more.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

As many coaches in different sports have said to whining competitors, "check out the score board".

Pedrosa has sucked hind teat for the past few races, Hayden, without "access to Dani's settings" has been a whole lot more successful.

Strange...
Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

more drama in motogp than motohouston
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote