Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
Defining Mediocrity...
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

BMW K1200R - Carbon Fiber mod

Originally Posted by blesk View Post

Octane, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the GS vs Tiger. I got my Tiger about a year ago, and was on the fence between the two for several weeks before I finally did what amounted to a coin toss.
The bikes are more than a coin toss. These are two completely different bikes. I LOVED my BMW, but had my share of mechanical problems from it.

First. For the most part, it was built like a tank. Solid, but very heavy for a dual-sport. I still abused it though, and it just makes your skills improve.

The short story is.... I miss my BMW that I bought an 08 Tiger. I love the Speed and light weight of the Tiger, but for Touring and riding comfort, there is no comparison. The BMW wins hands down. For the passenger, more so as the BMW has more room for the pillion than the tiger does. Wind issues on the stock windscreen for the Tiger when compared to the GS as well. The Tigers speed and agility in the city and weekends hitting the twisties is the clear winner between the two, but if touring and adventure riding comes upo in your plans, the BMW seperates the men from the boys.

Tiger is faster, has strong torque and linear pull, lighter weight, easier to navigate tight spaces and easier to pick up if dropped.

GS is the mack truck, Army Tank like feel, but the Telever suspension (anti-front fork dive) technology coupled with ABS makes the bike ride more like a car than a motorcycle on the highway. I tour... I ride to Guatemala, Mexico et al, and have done all of it on a GS. I dont think it will be as enjoyable on the Tiger, but I use my bike for everything. Commuting, touring, weekend pleasure rides etc. Stacked up side by side.... and having owned both... I have to tel you that my next bike will be a BMW GS (hopefully they will addressed and re-engineered the final drive) by then.
97Octane is offline   Reply With Quote