MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

toasted the scooter motor

i ended up posting this in the wrong section, so's I'll redo it here.

I bought this bike new in 04 (Hardley 1200 Roadster), ran out of it since day one, at 8k miles, I installed the turbo kit, ran out of it some more, then at 12k I tore the motor down for no other reason but to do a Nallin performance big bore, heads, cams, , everything that almost could be done was done, it was a beast. At 13.5 k miles I re-installed the turbo kit and abused it heartily, I think she liked it. At 20k miles, removed the turbo kit and sold it to a drag racing dude. and at 21k miles I installed jockey shifter, foot clutch etc and basically had to learn to ride all over again, so basically going easy on the bike, just a few full rolling burnouts every once in a while. ( read that as every time I'm on the bike, I'm weird like that)
Fast forward to today, at 21.9k miles, she started blowing oil and heavy smoke from the front cylinder. It happened on a 6k rpm launch and when it was in second, the front wheel was up about 6", the rear tire was melting off at space shuttle speed and it sputtered, sat the front tire down and then went back up with it, never stopped smoking the rear. I shut it down and it and rode it in the garage and am going to do a tear down tomorrow and put the new motor in until I can get these high dollar hot rod goodies sent away and repaired. Its even smoking on decel which I'm thinking valve / guide issues, but the amount of smoke when its romped on could kill an acre of mosquitos in a blink, which makes me think broken ring, scarred cylinders etc etc. Bottom end is still healthy after all these miles and I think I will still use it as the base for the next turbo motor build, balanced crank and all.
so's, that being said, the killer Hardley is down and out for a day or two until I can get the new motor sat in.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey TMAX That's not a scooter, this is a scooter... Rod General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-05-2014 11:43 AM
is a rebuilt motor the same as a new motor evobusa7 Off Topic 46 04-03-2009 05:53 PM
Gilera GP800 an 850cc V-twin-engined Scooter Crowned to Be Worlds Fastest Scooter ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-18-2007 10:40 PM
Toasted me Turbo ScooterTrash Cruisers Lounge 16 01-02-2006 08:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
maskale

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

seems like it did well for the life it had, even a car motor can live a life like that for long.

are you surprised it did fail?
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

you need to bring that beast to the track scooter!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
mammothmc

Feedback Rating: (0)

Wow! that's probably the first good Harley story I've ever heard

Last week we had a guy come into the shop with an 06 1200 that he bought used from the Harley shop. When I say used, it had 1500 miles & was part of their rental fleet. Two months later the thing broke down. After paying a big bill he got a mile down the road & broke down again. After that they said they were stumped & didn't want to work on it. They told him to ship it back to milwaukee to see if they had any ideas...........
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

[QUOTE=maskale;1472088]seems like it did well for the life it had, even a car motor can live a life like that for long.

are you surprised it did fail?[/QUOTE]

nah, no, this motor deserves a rest, I always said it could go whenever it wanted and I wouldnt be upset. At least it didnt grenade and spread parts, Its done well indeed and it will live again soon. I've already got it torn completely down and am almost ready to install the new pistons, cylinders and heads and even new cams.
quad cam bastards rule

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Wow! that's probably the first good Harley story I've ever heard

Last week we had a guy come into the shop with an 06 1200 that he bought used from the Harley shop. When I say used, it had 1500 miles & was part of their rental fleet. Two months later the thing broke down. After paying a big bill he got a mile down the road & broke down again. After that they said they were stumped & didn't want to work on it. They told him to ship it back to milwaukee to see if they had any ideas...........
doesnt make sense, the new evo motor is a solid reliable . best as far as reliabilty beside the vrod, and thats porche engineering.
This has been the best bike I've ever owned as far as reliability and rideability, its always been ready to get abused, no matter how many miles at a time. Its never left me stranded, even when I tore it up, I still rode it home. wooot

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
doesnt make sense, the new evo motor is a solid reliable . best as far as reliabilty beside the vrod, and thats porche engineering.
This has been the best bike I've ever owned as far as reliability and rideability, its always been ready to get abused, no matter how many miles at a time. Its never left me stranded, even when I tore it up, I still rode it home. wooot
good job tearing up a motor seems like you were using it well
a old car racer I met has been through 13 motors on his car and still drives it

don't know how great the new evo motors are though, the one new model, lowish mileage, harley I rented, was leaking oil all over the place by he time I was done with it...
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

I just got it back together and running like a champ. approx. 5 hours, torn down to the rods, installed new pistons, rings, cylinders, cams, heads and back on the road approx. 10 minutes ago, zero leaks, woooot.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
good to hear it's back up and running. so what ended up being the problem? cracked ring after all?
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

^^ i really dont know, the front cylinder had more wear than the rear, the valve guides prolly are toast because it was smoking bad on decel too, I dunno yet, am sending it all off to be looked at, was weird it just started smoking after the launch, we talked about it and while we were discussing, it started rolling smoke heavier out of the front cylinder and the pipe was dripping wet with un-burnt oil, but zero cracked rings and major scarring, weird.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]

Advertisement