MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

power trip

i hope that they pass lane splitting this next season in the Texas House. I was splitting just a bit in the HOV when traffic was under 5-20 mph. I was doing this at only about 2-3 cars, when a blue impala swevred like an idiot in front of me. I hit the brakes... and was thinking what an idiot when he waved a badge out the window. I gave him some space. I had several times I should have probably just gunned it and gone by with no issues, but I didn't want him to get mad and call some moto cop or someone further on in the HOV and get me in trouble. So i just cooked.

Please lets get lane splitting.... in a safe a reasonable manner of course.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Power Commander V. with turbo and power shifter Gixxer Geezer Health and Fitness 24 08-11-2011 01:52 PM
pilot power vs pilot power 2ct setup Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 18 07-01-2009 10:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Hookem2255
Ninja 650 Army sgt....LOL

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 650R

Member Garage

It would be nice, but if lane splitting is "legalized" you can still probally be charged with unsafe lane change or reckless driving or failure to control speed...the list goes on LOL.

Tony
Hookem2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Isn't lane splitting risky in the first place?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Isn't lane splitting risky in the first place?
do a search on posts here and find the one about legalizing. It's been studied and shown to be at least as safe as just normal riding through traffic, if not a little safer due to having cars protecting you on both sides (only in real congested traffic). I have friends from Cali, and it saved hours for them during the week. With a city with the 4th worst traffic in the US, it would be a goodsend on those cooking days, to move past 10 cars to the front of a light and take off. I'm not referring to squidish behavior... just do some research. I do it anytime I can when traffic ends up being bad enough that I come to almost a complete stop several times (westpark during rush hour, etc) The bad part is right now if you get a cop on an off day, or one that doesn't like it you CAN get a ticket. It's something you do realizing you may end up paying the fee for. And you have to be very careful, SOME get mad, just like anywhere and act like jerks. Mostly rare though. Hard to stop a bike lanesplitting. We take up so little space anyway.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

I dont lane split I drive on the little bike lane in between cars.
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

lane splitting isn't legal?

dilligaf. thats what shoulders are for.
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
ninjathatcould
UHD BPOC 241

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 EX250
(Totaled 08 XB12R)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to ninjathatcould
So I have a story about how lane splitting isnt safe... you wanna hear it?

Sure you do! I was coming back home from UNT in Denton, TX, going down I35 and anyone from around there knows I35 traffic can be hellish. It was totally stopped so I decided to make a little headway and split up until the traffic was moving and then just hop back into a lane. I went for it and got about 10 cars up when a DPS was sitting there about 3 cars ahead of me. I was going about 20 mph, but I didn't want to pass the guy, so I slammed on my brakes and found the nearest opening in traffic near him. It happened to be just behind his bumper. He looks up in the rearview and then looks back forward.... phew i almost my pants.

But really, I think splitting on the HOV is necessary at times. You get the idiot sympathy drivers (the ones that slow down when main lanes slow down) in front of you and you cant help but want to go around them, right?

Legal or not, people do it...but the more risk you take the more likely you are to get hurt. Isn't that in MSF?

ninjathatcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjathatcould View Post
So I have a story about how lane splitting isnt safe... you wanna hear it?

Sure you do! I was coming back home from UNT in Denton, TX, going down I35 and anyone from around there knows I35 traffic can be hellish. It was totally stopped so I decided to make a little headway and split up until the traffic was moving and then just hop back into a lane. I went for it and got about 10 cars up when a DPS was sitting there about 3 cars ahead of me. I was going about 20 mph, but I didn't want to pass the guy, so I slammed on my brakes and found the nearest opening in traffic near him. It happened to be just behind his bumper. He looks up in the rearview and then looks back forward.... phew i almost my pants.

But really, I think splitting on the HOV is necessary at times. You get the idiot sympathy drivers (the ones that slow down when main lanes slow down) in front of you and you cant help but want to go around them, right?

Legal or not, people do it...but the more risk you take the more likely you are to get hurt. Isn't that in MSF?
Good story! Now just to a raging internet critic..... how was that unsafe... it was a matter of you reacting to possibly getting a ticket, not of unsafe behavior. If traffic was literally stuck, not much he could have done, unless there was an open emergency lane, etc.

I really don't split unless its really slow, if traffics moving I don't typically do it. I've only split at a faster speed in the HOV when one car was holding up the whole HOV 2 cars ahead, and plenty of space, so I waited 10 minutes before doing it, and finally moved. I've in fact started taking HOV more to reduce the need to split so much on westpark etc.

I do get the cop thing though. I've been ticket free my whole life (excepting one fluke time in my car, wasn't even being unsafe, caught the officer at a wrong moment and I didn't register the 45 mph sign in TN on the INTERSTATE at night because of construction... i passed him going 2-3 mph faster than him and traffic driving next to me... wrong thing to do)

have a great day.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
I dont lane split I drive on the little bike lane in between cars.

"what officer, its a bike lane, isn't it?"

Advertisement