MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I did not say I test my limits on the street.

The thread was more about "old timers" letting "noobs" know to "ride within thier limits" on street rides when they could not possibly know what their limits are. I have seen guys go down doing 30 mph around a 35 posted corner. So thier limit was, obviously, 28 mph maybe.
Fair enough, but I wasn't directing it to you per se, just as an "in general", so don't take offense to it.

The way I "know" how they're riding over their heads is when I see them clipping the lines in a corner, panic moves, excessive braking, etc. Like Curt mentioned, it's easier for someone to spot if they have some good experience as an instructor or lots of experience as a rider.

The best way to help new folks not ride over their heads is to keep the pace down while riding with them. You may feel comfortable and in control, but they likely won't. Being guys mostly, they'll never admit that they're uncomfortable, and if they make it through a set of challenging corners without incident, they'll start to believe that everything's OK too.

Helping new folks start to learn their limits with riding is best done with a lead-follow ride where someone can lead at a sane pace and someone else can follow him to see how they react. It's kinda like teaching on the track.

Again though, I think that "limits" can best be explained by comfort and control. If you observe someone that looks like they aren't comfortable and in control, it's a pretty sure sign that they're riding beyond their skills/ ability.