MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
98_900RR

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1998 Honda 900RR: K&N, Stage 1 Jet kit,MVR Slip on,-1/+3.

Send a message via MSN to 98_900RR
Fiberglass bodywork

Hey everyone got a few questions, mainly for the paint and body people here. I had a few fiberglass repair kits given to me and it got me to thinking, is it possible for me to use the fiberglass repair kits to make a fiberglass fender for my bike and use the OEM fender as the mold? I have been interested in learning to do body work on my bike for a bit now and im kinda strapped for cash at the moment otherwise id just buy new ones or take it to the body shop for them to make a fiberglass one for me. Also, my gas tank has one large dent in the left side, i was wondering could I pop that out or is it just best to suck it up and go and get an new tank or one from the junkyard? what would be the proceedures for making a fiberglass fender using the OEM as the mold? thanks for any and all help.
98_900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass bodywork pumpkinHED General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 03-10-2013 04:16 PM
Fiberglass! HDA Off Topic 6 02-13-2012 12:45 PM
Anyone know about fiberglass? joseluna01 How To's and Q & A's 2 03-26-2010 02:43 PM
Yoshimitsu Fiberglass Race Bodywork houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 20 04-07-2008 11:11 PM
Plastic or Fiberglass ?? Silver Bullet General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-15-2006 09:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You can use the OEM to make one, but it's very time consuming. A body shop will probably not do this for you- it would cost you a ton of money to have that done at a body shop for $65+/ hour + materials. You can get a new one for $50. Buying a new glass fender is much easier, and when you factor in your time, it's much cheaper too.

Check Flyin'Duc's thread about carbon fiber, I posted videos on how to make your own CF and fiberglass parts. It's a cool process, but very time consuming and you need to be very diligent with your work.

Most of the time with fuel tanks, a small dent would just be filled. Sometimes, you can use a brass rod to bang it out from the inside, or you can use some of the internet DIY processes for it (compressed air method for example). It all comes down to if you want to spend the time to mess with it vs the cost of replacement with a used one.

Here is the link again to the CF/ fiberglass "clinic" (yes, you use the same process for CF and fiberglass):

Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

BTW, there's 4 "episodes" to those vids.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
98_900RR

Bike(s):

thank you very much, so its easier to just go buy the fiberglass part, i want plastic but its too expensive. ill probably use the kits to learn after i get a new fender.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_900RR View Post
thank you very much, so its easier to just go buy the fiberglass part, i want plastic but its too expensive. ill probably use the kits to learn after i get a new fender.
Unless your kit comes with a vacuum pump, bags, PVA and some other items, you just have a repair kit that is made for small basic repairs, not for actually fabricating parts.

Making a plug for glass parts is very time consuming, but can be rewarding. The guy in that vid made the most gorgeous SV I've ever seen- possibly the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen. He made a CF tank, all the bodywork, and a bunch of other cool parts. He's a cool cat to boot.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
98_900RR

Bike(s):

where can you get the fender for 50 bucks, i just checked ebay to no avail.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
98_900RR

Bike(s):

yeah the kits made for small basic repairs, but im willing to spend the $$ to get the rest after i get a new fender just to i can learn something new. if i ever get another bike the 900 will become a track bike, so it would help to have extra body parts on hand
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
where can you get the fender for 50 bucks, i just checked ebay to no avail.
Just have to surf man. I don't know any off the top of my head that sell race kits for that bike any more, but I'm sure they're out there. Airtech, Beasley, Cheetah, all probably have something for that bike still.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
98_900RR

Bike(s):

Airtech seems ok, 394.22 but i still have to drill the holes and drill the headlight mounting bolts. plus the cost of paint.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Airtech seems ok, 394.22 but i still have to drill the holes and drill the headlight mounting bolts. plus the cost of paint.
That's for a complete set, isn't it?

$395 is fuggin' cheap.

Just as a head's up, the 900RR isn't the best bike to take to the track if it's in street trim. If you crash it, it will be almost impossible to fix it back again. It's also tough to make in to a track bike because you won't be able to easily find bodywork or spare parts/ rear sets/ etc for it.

My opinion/ suggestion is to keep it for a street bike and buy a dedicated track bike if that's what you want to eventually do. Either that or sell the 900 and get a dedicated track bike.

You'll probably be much happier.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
98_900RR

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Just as a head's up, the 900RR isn't the best bike to take to the track if it's in street trim. If you crash it, it will be almost impossible to fix it back again.
what exactly do you mean almost impossible to fix it back again? just due to the lack of parts or do the 900's not hold up so well when wrecked?

Also thank you very much for your patience, advice, and guidance.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
what exactly do you mean almost impossible to fix it back again? just due to the lack of parts or do the 900's not hold up so well when wrecked?

Also thank you very much for your patience, advice, and guidance.
Any time

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean about being hard to fix that the parts are harder and harder to come by. Not to mention it's tough to get track parts too (like rearsets, fairing stays, bodywork, etc).

If you like the bike, I'd keep it for the street and find yourself a good used track bike. They're a lot more affordable than you may think! What makes them most affordable is that all of the expensive racing bits have already been bought, installed and tweaked. Saves tons of money and time.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
98_900RR

Bike(s):

i looovvveeee the bike but its almost getting to the point where im spending more down time than on the road, i might be starting a new job soon and i was planning on saving a good bit of change for a 600RR, i want a 1000RR but ill just browse craigslist/local papers and see what turns up
Old 10-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
i looovvveeee the bike but its almost getting to the point where im spending more down time than on the road, i might be starting a new job soon and i was planning on saving a good bit of change for a 600RR, i want a 1000RR but ill just browse craigslist/local papers and see what turns up
If you're still thinking of going track, can't beat either one of those bikes for being good right out of the box.

Still, consider keeping the 900 if you can, and then get a dedicated track bike. You can get a nice one for around $5k or less!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
98_900RR

Bike(s):

oh trust me im thinking about keeping the 900. the only track i have here is the 1/4 mile. Houston is about 2 hours away, but if i move to livingston with this new job humble will be about 30-45 min away, so its just a crazy idea of mine to have a track bike, its more reasonable for me to have a 600rr or a 1000rr and just occasionally take it on the track
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
oh trust me im thinking about keeping the 900. the only track i have here is the 1/4 mile. Houston is about 2 hours away, but if i move to livingston with this new job humble will be about 30-45 min away, so its just a crazy idea of mine to have a track bike, its more reasonable for me to have a 600rr or a 1000rr and just occasionally take it on the track
Uh, no, the closest track to you is about 1/2 away in Henderson! Then there's a track in Cresson (about an hour away?), just south of Ft Worth, Eagle's Canyon (which is north of Ft Worth)... pretty soon we hope to see another in the Cleveland area too!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #17
98_900RR

Bike(s):

i never knew Henderson had a track. but yeah like i said its better to buy a bike and occasionally take it to the track.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
i never knew Henderson had a track. but yeah like i said its better to buy a bike and occasionally take it to the track.
I hear you.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get things sorted

Advertisement