MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
pbjsammich

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Looking for a CHEAP cruiser...

Running or not, I'm looking for an extremely cheap bike. Why you ask? Well, I will be brutally honest and see where that gets me.

Myself and my fiancee are new to Houston. I have posted very little on this board but check it often. We have been a bit preoccupied with moving, new house, new jobs, new city to get too involved with the local "biker" community. The few times I have posted I've gotten very pleasant, respectful responses. As many of you know, that seems to be a rarity among forums. I hope to get to one of your organized rides sometime soon.

Reason I am looking for a cheap, beat up bike revolves around my fiancee's brother. He is 30 something and has been in jail most of his adult life. He made some mistakes in his younger years and got involved with the wrong crowd. I don't want to go into much detail on this out of respect for him and his family. He has contacted me several times through letters, which impressed me. He appears to really be on the right track to get out next summer and make a go at life once again.

He has expressed a lot of interest in getting a motorcycle when he gets out. He has made some money in prison and will receive that when he gets out. It's not much....somewhere around $400-$600. He wants a project bike to rebuild on his own. He's not going to be picky at this price, but his only request is it be a larger bike, preferably 1000cc and above.

This isn't a charity request. Both my fiancee and I are doing fine money-wise. This is asking for help to FIND such a bike (even craigslist doesn't list bikes this cheap). I would like for him to know he worked for this bike. All I request is for the bike to be fairly priced for it's condition, repairable in some shape or fashion, assembled or disassembled. I would like it to come with a title so he could eventually get it on the road.

Sorry this is so long winded, just wanted to be clear with the intentions of my hunt. Please PM me if you know of such a project bike and give me some details. I'm hoping this might get him and I off on the right foot, and ultimately give him something positive in his life when he gets out to make an honest attempt to turn things around.

I greatly appreciate any help with this!!

Ken
pbjsammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New Cruiser Gixxer Geezer Cruisers Lounge 21 08-02-2013 08:57 AM
HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CRUISER ? KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 69 03-15-2011 11:29 AM
cruiser down!!! m109runner General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-07-2010 09:18 PM
Which cruiser should I get? l_g_carmona Cruisers Lounge 62 09-18-2008 09:23 AM
When I can get a cruiser AWD Cruisers Lounge 71 05-23-2007 03:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
stunterdude

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
04 zx10,03 gsxr600,2001 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 2006 yzf250,2004crf150,2006 crf 450r,2001 929,06 klx 110

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to stunterdude
not trying to be a but he's going to have he'll making a life for himself if he's spent alota time in prison
Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunterdude View Post
not trying to be a but he's going to have he'll making a life for himself if he's spent alota time in prison
I totally agree with you. This isn't a pity party for him...he made some poor choices in his younger years that he'll pay for for the rest of his life.

I just would like to try to find something he can make into some daily transportation.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

very seriously, a bike that cheap will need a lot of maint. work / prep etc, with his funds, he might be better suited riding metro until he saves enough through hard work to get himself a reliable mode of transportation.
that being said, I buy bikes all the time off of craigslist for that cheap and cheaper by far, some need a lot of work, some dont, they are out there, he will have to swallow his pride and understand he wont be on a west coast chopper or anything close, more like an old, 70's small honda etc etc, lots to choose from, but his price range makes it crazy unless your wanting to pay his way and thats really teaching him squat.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/864853372.html
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
very seriously, a bike that cheap will need a lot of maint. work / prep etc, with his funds, he might be better suited riding metro until he saves enough through hard work to get himself a reliable mode of transportation.
that being said, I buy bikes all the time off of craigslist for that cheap and cheaper by far, some need a lot of work, some dont, they are out there, he will have to swallow his pride and understand he wont be on a west coast chopper or anything close, more like an old, 70's small honda etc etc, lots to choose from, but his price range makes it crazy unless your wanting to pay his way and thats really teaching him squat.
He's not expecting west coast chopper....he would like a project bike he can build over time. I'm not paying his way, he will be buying this bike off of me.

Good find there civic!! Emailing them now!!

Last edited by pbjsammich; 10-03-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Killerjoe123
Happens

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
honda shadow 600
2006 ford mustang v6 4.0

Just git a honda shadow 600, iI think thier around $4200
Killerjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post
I totally agree with you. This isn't a pity party for him...he made some poor choices in his younger years that he'll pay for for the rest of his life.

I just would like to try to find something he can make into some daily transportation.
^^werd. But when he gets out if he has something that has showed him, "okay we can tell you changed with gonna give you your key to your lock" then who knows whats gonna happen. Positive reinforcement works with everyone young and old. Plus ppl have given up on him and maybe Ken getting this bike will show him that hes not out of hope for a new life.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Jofuzzy
rat fink king

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
virago xv700

Like you said he is going to have to pay for his mistakes for a long time. On the same note having a project like that is a good thing for someone like that to have. something he can succeed at while everyone else is on him will probably be the best thing for him. Back to the point though. check out Houston cycle salvage in Pasadena. right off red bluff. They always have beaters. it'll be a basket case but he's probably the best guy to ask.
Jofuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofuzzy View Post
Like you said he is going to have to pay for his mistakes for a long time. On the same note having a project like that is a good thing for someone like that to have. something he can succeed at while everyone else is on him will probably be the best thing for him. Back to the point though. check out Houston cycle salvage in Pasadena. right off red bluff. They always have beaters. it'll be a basket case but he's probably the best guy to ask.

Thank you for the tip....I'll have to check them out.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):
'09 HD Ultra Classic (yes it's purple)
'69 HD Electra Glide (Pink Panther) Gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
'04 Honda Shadow 1100 (wife traded it for a street glide)

Tigger's Place

Houston Cycle Salvage (Tigger's Place)
3317 Red Bluff Rd
Pasadena, TX 77503
United States of America
(713) 472-0020
http://www.houstoncyclesalvage.net

Check there and don't give up on Craig's list. There are several independant shops that may have something they just want to get ride of, so check them out. If you are Spencer Hwy - stop in at the dealer's and ask. You never know what they may have stashed in the back.
be with you!!!

Ehesians 2:1-10
CMA.ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

my brother has a virago for sale for $2500.00 it is at our shop right now getting some maintenence work done if you would like to see it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):
'09 HD Ultra Classic (yes it's purple)
'69 HD Electra Glide (Pink Panther) Gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
'04 Honda Shadow 1100 (wife traded it for a street glide)

Just did an "advanced search" on CycleTrader.com - found some old metric bikes pretty cheap....
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/sear...earchid-66356/

Hope this helps...

Ehesians 2:1-10
CMA.ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

You all have been very helpful and I thank you so much for that. I am currently still monitoring CL and looking for a deal. I have some time to search so I'll try to be patient. I did speak to a gentleman at the salvage place in Pasedena. They were very nice and I gave them a few bikes in particular I was looking for. I'll be checking back in with them often to see what pops up.

Thanks for the heads up on the Virago....too far out of our price range.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
oldman650r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 ninja 650r ---- sold -----
06 gsxr 600
09 ninja 2 fiddy
1991 gsxr ,,1100 plus
2006 wee strom