MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #21
lorin70

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

I think it is a good idea to do a few heat/cool cycles early in the engine break in process. Get the engine up to full temp by riding for 10 minutes or so and then park it and let it cool down completely. Repeat this 2-3 times so that the minor structural changes that might occur with the block, cylinders, etc. will occur before the rings and other internal parts start to seat in. This is typically the recommended process for 2 strokes and it probably makes sense for 4 strokes as well.

I don't have any empirical evidence to support the effectiveness of this process but a lot of people recommend it and it seems to make sense.

Varying RPM during the first part of the break in period is pretty universally recommended as well.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
procedure anyone? pester Off Topic 2 04-23-2012 01:25 PM
Bike off overpass closed freeways? cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 04-20-2010 10:18 AM
let's rape some freeways! lbjasonc Events, Meets and Rides 227 09-19-2008 12:49 PM
Need advice on driving on freeways... BMoreno General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 04-21-2008 11:37 AM
08 R6 First 600 To Break 170 MPH Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 03-10-2008 07:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I have broke in many bikes. I ride them normal and changed the oil after 200 miles when i got the new GSXR600. Changed it at 300 miles and the to normal services. Never had an issue with any of the bike i have owned.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #24
TX-Zen
Meme Machine

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 R6

Send a message via MSN to TX-Zen
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggy View Post
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Very controversial topic. I'm just throwing suggestions out there.
Thats a really interesting site, thanks for the link. It makes a lot of sense and sounds very reasonable...but I'm not really in position to know better one way or another because I'm not a mechanic or anything like that. I can also see why it's controversial...its the opposite of everything I've ever heard about engines in general too.

Worst part is I'm already over 100 miles dangit, so now I guess it doesn't matter for my bike anyway

Thanks everyone for the responses also, I think Gunshot and CalgoneTX hit it right on the head. Thanks guys!

And as for the bike and do I like it? .... YEAH!!!!!

All I can say is WOW. WOW....WOW!!!!

Let me say this (for you RacerX ! )...I have a healthy respect for bikes, my hero days are long gone and I do care a lot about my not being smeared over the payment. All that is a constant reminder not to be stupid and I take riding very seriously (took the MSF last April)....but wow, what a bike!

It is everything I was hoping for and more. It has all the little things the Kat didn't like fuel injection, digital displays, even the instant start up when the ignition is pressed. Forgive me if I sound like I've never ridden a fuel injected bike, but I haven't. It doesn't sound like a lawn mower either, which believe me gets old after a while.

So yeah I love the bike, I think it's going to drag me to the track also

R6Izzy Sig
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #25
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

GL on the break in. BTW the yellow/black scheme is gorgeous on the new R6. I saw one sitting in Texas Yamaha and proceeded to make love to it.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
TX-Zen
Meme Machine

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 R6

Send a message via MSN to TX-Zen
I had originally wanted only the cadmium yellow R6, but in the last month I started thinking about a raven, so I was kind of 50/50 when I walked in. They didn't have any ravens in stock, but they had a Raven R6S sitting next to my bike. It was temping as , I had to think about it for a minute.

Sexy bike with the gold and black for sure!

R6Izzy Sig
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #27
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Yep. Well when I bought my bike it was mostly a transportation bike so I got the R6S for comfortableness. Now that I am mostly track if I could do it again I would have got the R6 for the slipper clutch.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #28
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Zen View Post
Question on breaking in a new bike, the R6 manual says to avoid prolonged operation above 8300 rpm for the first 600 miles and avoid 9900+ rpm from 600 to 1000 miles.

My dealership also said to avoid any sustained RPM for the first 600 miles...no freeway driving at all, or any particular roads where the RPM is not changing often. Basically they said keep the bike on the street in bump and go traffic for the first 600 miles in order to keep all the gears moving and the throttle constantly up and down...sounds reasonable, but is there any significant benefit in going above and beyond the manual's recommendation?

This is my first brand new bike, I'd appreciate any advice from you guys and gals that have been through this before.

Thanks!

cruise on it for the first 500 miles. after that... rat-fukk it like a nickel
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement