MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Evidence of the weekend... (tires)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to submit evidence yeraboof Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 6 04-01-2012 08:18 PM
tampering with evidence? miguel!! Off Topic 33 02-24-2011 06:16 PM
Tires this past weekend- big props to Big John at SCRC! tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 1 05-14-2009 12:09 AM
more evidence that corpus sux! TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-01-2007 10:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

your tires still look good to go for another track day. Hey I tried mine out last Sat. at TWS (Texas World Speedway). After being off for 2 months from the track I still managed running 5 sec. quicker on my average lap times and 2 sec. better then my one shot best lap time. Actually my consistant best lap time is now 5 sec. better then it was before. Very sticky tires. I ham fisted it once coming out of a turn on accident (was getting tired) and they just stuck. My Corsa III would of spun for sure. I don't now about any other DOT tires but I'm going to stick with these, because they are so confidence inspiring. almost every turn I was thinking (" man I could of got on the power harder coming out of that turn or I could of came in faster") because honestly these tires never moved once. John thanks for the temps you told me. After I got warmed up I had no problems keeping them there.
Since your showing pics here is mine to plus one shot of me out there I liked.
John I need you to send me some bridgestones stickers for my bike to replace my Pirelli ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 track day on them front.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	15639   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 track day on them rear.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	15640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0232.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	15641  

gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
slowblack05
please

ill be switching from the 002 to those very quickly
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Great write up but its old news. The 003s have been sticking like glue and giving grip waaay past the wear bars for the LSTD endurance team for a while. Were officially in love with em.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Too many to list

AVONS FTW!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

I run the slicks on my SV and they stick very well. Although, the endurance compound that I sprinted with on Sunday had a tendency to break loose if I got on the gas too early and was on the edge of the tire but the slide was pridictable and controllable. A friend of mine ran the DOT's and it immediately fixed some issues he had been having with front end chatter. The tire carcass for the new DOT's seems to be a little softer which helps the suspension absorb bumps such as in turn 7. I may try the DOT's myself at TWS (Texas World Speedway) just for the of it.
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Great write up but its old news. The 003s have been sticking like glue and giving grip waaay past the wear bars for the LSTD endurance team for a while. Were officially in love with em.
-Gabe
Yeah, I know yall did, but I had to know for myself!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Since your showing pics here is mine to plus one shot of me out there I liked.
John I need you to send me some bridgestones stickers for my bike to replace my Pirelli ones.
You should try the edge of the tire, it's sticky too!

Just messin' with you, looks like you're pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down perty good there. I like the pic of you in the corner too!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
launchpad199

In the South Central Race Center 600cc super stock race at ECR this weekend the lineup is. ty howard 148.766 dunlop larry myers 149.281 pirelli Ricky Parker 149.955 Michelin Greg Anderson 150.835 Bridgestone
launchpad199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounchpad199 View Post
In the South Central Race Center 600cc super stock race at ECR this weekend the lineup is. ty howard 148.766 dunlop larry myers 149.281 pirelli Ricky Parker 149.955 Michelin Greg Anderson 150.835 Bridgestone
What's your point Larry? That you and Ty are faster than Greg? :Shocker:
Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
What's your point Larry? That you and Ty are faster than Greg? :Shocker:
That's right Tom, they all are faster than me. Oh, wait, he wasn't talking about me....another Greg. My bad,

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I know I am way out of the loop....but for those of us who turn a deaf ear to anything tire related (until someone says, "Holy super glue batman, these things stick!!") what is the make, model, and intended purpose of these tires? Would you recommend them for a street bike that makes it to the track maybe once or twice a year, or just for the racer looking for a !!!!5!!!!! second edge?

I always seem to get contradictory input whenever I get ready for a new set. Just got some Corsas, street compound, haven't yet been flamed for them, but have no idea how they stack up.

Regardless, how cool is it that the upgrades keep on flowing out of the R&D shops around the world!!! 5 seconds is absolutely huge. No wonder MSRH times have gone from 142's to 136's or less lately.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
launchpad199

tom i just dont wont people giting the wrong impression about tires, and greg was the fastess Bridgestone rider in the 600cc race.
launchpad199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I know I am way out of the loop....but for those of us who turn a deaf ear to anything tire related (until someone says, "Holy super glue batman, these things stick!!") what is the make, model, and intended purpose of these tires? Would you recommend them for a street bike that makes it to the track maybe once or twice a year, or just for the racer looking for a !!!!5!!!!! second edge?

I always seem to get contradictory input whenever I get ready for a new set. Just got some Corsas, street compound, haven't yet been flamed for them, but have no idea how they stack up.

Regardless, how cool is it that the upgrades keep on flowing out of the R&D shops around the world!!! 5 seconds is absolutely huge. No wonder MSRH times have gone from 142's to 136's or less lately.
Actually, all of the tires being made lately are great tires. Some last longer, some don't, some are more expensive, some are less, but they all basically do the same thing.

The tires I'm talking about are the 003Pro Bridgestones, and this is the first weekend I've run them front and rear.

They're not a street tire, but I'm sure that like the 002, Bridgestone will make an "Ride Smart" tire for the 003 that is great for street and track days. The 002RS is still there, and it's great for that.

Personally, I like the Bridgestones, but it's for a different reason than someone like Larry may like the Pirelli. I like 'em because they cost less than the other brands (though Michelin is about the same), they last forever especially when compared to the Pirelli, they are very predictable all the way past the wear indicators, and the new 003 is more compliant with the rear tire utilizing a bit softer carcass without sacrificing grip. Best bang for the buck bar none IMHO.

Some folks like the Pirelli because they are very soft and sticky... for about 20 laps. After that, in my experience, they can get scary- but I'll concede that I haven't ridden them in about a year; however, it's consistent with my friend's opinion that still race them as well as some friends that run them in Pro spec tire racing series. I actually like the feel of the Pirelli, but not the price or the wear characteristics, and especially the way they act when they get worn.

Since Larry is bringing it up in his unique way, I'll throw out there that I have no idea what it's like to ride at his, Ty's, Derek Wagnon's, or some of the other really fast guy's pace with these tires. All I know is what it's like for me at my pace, and I'm definitely not a fast guy.

So, if you're looking for "that last .02 seconds" you need to beat "" at the races, I can't give that advice unless you're slow like me. But if you're looking for some very sticky, very predictable, very affordable, and very long lasting tires, I would highly recommend the Bridgestone 003.

, let's face it, you're going to buy new tires some time anyway, if you're not tied to a contract (which most folks aren't), try 'em out, what have you got to lose? Make your own opinions.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

pfttt...not a fast guy....

thanx for making me feel even more slow....since you are qlot quicker than I...lol
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
But if you're looking for some very sticky, very predictable, very affordable, and very long lasting tires, I would highly recommend the Bridgestone 003.

Exactly what I wanted to hear, given my budget and lazy self. I'll make a note to myself to get these next time. Thanks for the excellent review!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
pfttt...not a fast guy....

thanx for making me feel even more slow....since you are qlot quicker than I...lol
It's perspective.

I can go out and throw down mid-fifties at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and be one of the fastest in the "A" group that weekend at a non-race weekend track day. I would be "fast".

OR

I can go out in a CMRA endurance race, and be a back marker getting lapped within the first 5 laps running the same pace. I would be "slow".

I liken it to folks that think they're fast on the street until they come to a track day. The same applies to folks that think they're fast at a track day until their first CMRA sprint race or practice day.

I'm happy right now with my pace and my bike. I'm not looking to race any time soon, so my pace feels pretty good.

When you share the track with folks who run in big packs, and they're running 10 seconds per lap faster than you are, you don't just feel "slow", you wonder WTF you're doing out there with them!

Besides, I've followed you for plenty of laps on the track, you do juuuust fine, don't sell yourself short. I've just got more years racing and track days, and experience can play a big part in pace at the track. Before you know it, you'll be passing me at will and there's nothing I'll be able to do about it ('cept maybe lose 20 pounds!).
Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounchpad199 View Post
tom i just dont wont people giting the wrong impression about tires, and greg was the fastess Bridgestone rider in the 600cc race.
Ah yes Larry, but Greg didn't wreck, like you, now did he?

And what impression is that? That Bridgestones are better than Pirelli's...I think they already know that...lol
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
You should try the edge of the tire, it's sticky too!

Just messin' with you, looks like you're pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down perty good there. I like the pic of you in the corner too!
lol. Yeah I haven't went to the edge yet on the front. This was my first time trying these out and moving to a 190/55 rear from the 190/50. Still used the hole rear up, but I'm glad to see even though I drag knee out there with correct body position as a result of speed (you know not goofing up my body position to just get a knee down) that I still got more lean angle with these tires. I take baby steps, but I'll get there eventually. By the way these tires rock. I also would like to try the Pirelli Pro's to one day. They just cost more and are very hard to get ahold of for me unless I happen to see Larry at the track when I'm at MSRH. John can just mail the Bridestones to me with free shipping at a great price so it's more convient and at my pace I might not be able to tell the difference between different DOT tires just yet.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
John can just mail the Bridestones to me with free shipping at a great price so it's more convient and at my pace I might not be able to tell the difference between different DOT tires just yet.
Yeah man, John does a great job taking care of us

Honestly, it's hard for anyone to really tell the difference between each brand of tire when you compare each of their top model DOT race tire. There are subtle differences that surface as you ride, and often, there are subtle differences you can feel if you ride one right after another; however, by and large, new/ fresh race tires are going to perform very well these days. Tire technology is great right now.

The biggest determining factors for what tire I use really comes down to cost, longevity, and predictability. I don't like to pay a lot because tires are the most expensive "consumable" in regard to racing/ track days. I look for tire longevity for the same reasons, but also because I am an endurance racer, and changing tires during a race can kill your results. Finally, the predictability comes in to confidence and advancing personal performance on the track. Right now, Bridgestone 003Pro tires are the best of all three of those items. The 002Pro was the best of those categories last year, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that they actually were able to improve upon them!

Advertisement