Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
Question first time to the track

im really trying to make my first track day asap. i like riding the streets, but i want to move to the track. since i have an 05 the is my life, what precautions should i take when i go out there? should i try and find some old plastics from another bike and put them on there for track days? also, should i maybe go and watch a track day first before i make an attempt to actually ride it? thanks in advance to all the pros :icon_bigg
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barber Motorsports Park Track Weekend with Sport Bike Track Time 10/19 - 10/20 jb.junior Taking it to the Track 2 10-02-2013 08:35 AM
Going to the track for the first time skill Taking it to the Track 16 02-15-2012 01:45 PM
1st Time Track Riders/1st Time Ride Smart Customers!!! ThomAss Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 09-10-2010 05:38 PM
track time... 100f General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-04-2007 09:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Don't need to change the plastics yo, just make sure your bike is in good mechanic condition, and tires are good. The first session on every track day will be slow so you learn the track, and for the love of , don't push yourself, don't try to go too fast, don't try to "race" anyone there, and you'
ll make it just fine. Track days are the most fun you'll ever had riding your bike, surrounded by people that enjoy it as much as you do and will help you if you ask them, if it's a question, help setting up your bike or sometimes borrowing a tool or two (it helps if you take your own, tho)
Never, ever hesitate to ask anything, even if you think the question is dumb, remember, we all started without knowing anything.
Are you planning on making the Dec 10 track day??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

change the plastics as the stock ones are very expensive. take off the lights also. get some aftermarket plastics and make sure the bike is in good running order and have fun. pm me if you need some plastics by the way.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
hfa3g11
OG

well i wanted to change the plastice cuz i have an 05, and i would kill myself if i wrecked and my bike was all tore up. i heard i can just tape teh lights and take off teh side view mirrors. its an 05 so im pos it is in good mechanical cond. and yes i plan on making the dec 10th track day. i just wish i had a seconed bike to use as my track bike. but we shall see. ill get with some of you so maybe i can meet yall out there and yall can show me the ropes somewhat. i dont wanna go out there by myself, so we will see. but thanks for the comments guys
Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
speedismo
OCD for speed

I would resist making a comment and let the more qualified guyz make suggestions.. but u might want to keep in mind weather rain and all, if u r planning to go for the 10th dec track day. i know this is kind of a depressing suggestion, but a wet/slick track could be a pro's nightmare, forget a newbie with a 05 bike!
just my 2 cents, its ur call anyway.. best of luck

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 AM   #6
ufo34
Carlos V

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3g11
im really trying to make my first track day asap. i like riding the streets, but i want to move to the track. since i have an 05 the is my life, what precautions should i take when i go out there? should i try and find some old plastics from another bike and put them on there for track days? also, should i maybe go and watch a track day first before i make an attempt to actually ride it? thanks in advance to all the pros :icon_bigg

First make sure you have the proper gear, a good helmet(DOT), leather suit(does not have to be a one piece), leather gloves (above the wrist), riding boots (also above the ankle) and I highly recommended a back protector.

If you don't have leathers check with Patrick he can help you with that.

Second check Patrick's sticky track day guide for bike preps, he has plenty of good info on that.

If you go with either Ridesmart or LSTD, take their riding school, they both have very friendly and experienced instructors.

Now, on the track just stay focused and relaxed, don't push yourself, there's no trophies for trackdays.
Talk to the instructors, they'll show you the right lines. Don't worry too much about your body position, on your first trackday, it will come with time.

If you have the money for race fairings, I say go head and buy it, OEM fairings are very expensive, but maybe not on your first trackday, you should be taking it easy and having fun.

Checking it out before you try it, it's not a bad idea at all. You can also do corner work, there's planty of info on this.

ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
hfa3g11
OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo34
First make sure you have the proper gear, a good helmet(DOT), leather suit(does not have to be a one piece), leather gloves (above the wrist), riding boots (also above the ankle) and I highly recommended a back protector.

If you don't have leathers check with Patrick he can help you with that.

Second check Patrick's sticky track day guide for bike preps, he has plenty of good info on that.

If you go with either Ridesmart or LSTD, take their riding school, they both have very friendly and experienced instructors.

Now, on the track just stay focused and relaxed, don't push yourself, there's no trophies for trackdays.
Talk to the instructors, they'll show you the right lines. Don't worry too much about your body position, on your first trackday, it will come with time.

If you have the money for race fairings, I say go head and buy it, OEM fairings are very expensive, but maybe not on your first trackday, you should be taking it easy and having fun.

Checking it out before you try it, it's not a bad idea at all. You can also do corner work, there's planty of info on this.

thanks carlos. i appreciate it
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
j14
Seņor Esmooth...not rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3g11
well i wanted to change the plastice cuz i have an 05, and i would kill myself if i wrecked and my bike was all tore up. i heard i can just tape teh lights and take off teh side view mirrors. its an 05 so im pos it is in good mechanical cond. and yes i plan on making the dec 10th track day. i just wish i had a seconed bike to use as my track bike. but we shall see. ill get with some of you so maybe i can meet yall out there and yall can show me the ropes somewhat. i dont wanna go out there by myself, so we will see. but thanks for the comments guys
if you get aftermarket plastics...you won't have to tape the lights...you'll take them off which is what I'm going to start doing next year. I took mine and dropped it the first day out of inexperience and I wished I had race plastics on...Read the sticky or you can always PM these guys, myself included
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
hfa3g11
OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by j14
if you get aftermarket plastics...you won't have to tape the lights...you'll take them off which is what I'm going to start doing next year. I took mine and dropped it the first day out of inexperience and I wished I had race plastics on...Read the sticky or you can always PM these guys, myself included
thanks dude
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 AM   #10
spastic

Member Garage

Make sure u have good leathers, helmet, backpro, gloves, etc...dont worry about people passing u up...just be smooth and have fun. Speed will come...my first track day was at TWS (Texas World Speedway), I ran 2:30...sadly I have not improved much.

REMEMBER...break when you are vertical...let OFF the brake...and TURN...You will make the turn as long as you let OFF THE BRAKE.

You will not have to worry about bodywork as long as you...say it...LET OFF THE BRAKE. (separate braking and turning)

Last edited by spastic; 11-22-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic
...You will make the turn as long as you let OFF THE BRAKE.
You will also make it if you get ON THE GAS. icon12

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Your first few times around the track you should not be using the brake very much at all and should be working on throttle control. Otherwise you are riding like a bozo who guns it in the straight and brakes to almost a stop for turns. Which only people off and makes you look silly when you get lapped by somebody on an SV.

For your first time out just cruize man.... get used to the track, the lines, the bumps and cracks, learn about points of reference, ask somebody to help you with your body position when you are not on the track and ask if you can follow somebody that has good lines.

Finally, if you get into a corner and seem like you are goingto fast just lean more. More then likely your bike is more capable then you are at this point. Then you will be like... Holy I made it! I am going to try that again.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
spastic

Member Garage

Dude, all I was saying is for him not to brake and turn at the same time...that is the number one mistake I see from first timers on the track. Not going in too hot but thinking they are and then applying the brake almost mid turn and lowsiding or stading the bike up and running of the track.

But Moody has a point, learn how to control the bike speed just using the throttle.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #14
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic
Dude, all I was saying is for him not to brake and turn at the same time...that is the number one mistake I see from first timers on the track. Not going in too hot but thinking they are and then applying the brake almost mid turn and lowsiding or stading the bike up and running of the track.

But Moody has a point, learn how to control the bike speed just using the throttle.
I was not targeting you. I was just adding my opinion about track etiquette.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
you really need to get a busa or at least add a nitrous kit if you want to win your first track day. dont worry about the gear and ...it just weighs you down you want to be light as possible. rofl j/k

ive never been to a track day either. i might try to make the dec 10th just to watch and help out.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #16
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs
just listen to the daym instructor LOL