MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Thumbs up Dunlop NTEC's

I finally wore out a set of the new NTEC's. I was on Pirelli's for a while and I am very impressed with the longevity of the Dunlops. I honestly did not think that a tire could last as long as it did and still give the grip it did.

The tire had 8 sprint races, 6 pratcice sessions, 4 trackdays. This past weekend the rear tire was finally done. It continued to have insane edge grip up until my second to last session. In the session before lunch it still had enough grip to lift the front while leaned over driving out.

The rear tire was slick on the sides and down to the wear bars when i started the day. By the time i finished the day off the side was a chewed up on the rear and getting close to the cords. To top it all off the front tire still looks great and is good for a few more trackdays.

Props to a good tire and this is my experiance with the tire so i figured i would share it. Ill get a few pics of the tires to compare a new and my old set.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Dunlop Q3's jameshtx General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-22-2013 04:45 PM
Dunlop Ntec Slicks timboslice Performance and Modifications 8 04-25-2010 09:58 AM
Question For The Dunlop NTEC Riders FastLine Taking it to the Track 20 12-29-2008 10:07 PM
Dunlop qualifiers kdog22 Performance and Modifications 9 12-18-2008 05:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

my NTECH slicks are doing awesome! I have 4 track days on them and they still have at least that many in them. The edge grip and bump compliance is insane! I can turn harder than ever before and get on the gas hard while still deep in the corner. Once you get the setup right (thanks Patrick) the Dunnies are where the grip is.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
my NTECH slicks are doing awesome! I have 4 track days on them and they still have at least that many in them. The edge grip and bump compliance is insane! I can turn harder than ever before and get on the gas hard while still deep in the corner. Once you get the setup right (thanks Patrick) the Dunnies are where the grip is.
+1 to that, not trying to take anything away from any other tire they all are awesome tires. Each has it own personality and its what the rider likes. I too made a huge suspension adjustment and felt way better.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

How big were the chicken strips when you guys were done with your tire tests?
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
How big were the chicken strips when you guys were done with your tire tests?
About the size of your nuts... Oh wait you dont have any they are still in the grass at MSRH after the launch. Remember the ones you lost when trying to pass champ. That answer your question?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

My nuts are the size of watermelons
Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

the tire convo just got heated..........
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Those are the race take-offs you bought from Ty
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Hey Jon, Are those new tires in the pics for Daytona?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
I finally wore out a set of the new NTEC's. I was on Pirelli's for a while and I am very impressed with the longevity of the Dunlops. I honestly did not think that a tire could last as long as it did and still give the grip it did.

The tire had 8 sprint races, 6 pratcice sessions, 4 trackdays. This past weekend the rear tire was finally done. It continued to have insane edge grip up until my second to last session. In the session before lunch it still had enough grip to lift the front while leaned over driving out.

The rear tire was slick on the sides and down to the wear bars when i started the day. By the time i finished the day off the side was a chewed up on the rear and getting close to the cords. To top it all off the front tire still looks great and is good for a few more trackdays.

Props to a good tire and this is my experiance with the tire so i figured i would share it. Ill get a few pics of the tires to compare a new and my old set.
I've been using 211's this year as well and also impressed. I've never been to MSRH so I don't have any laptimes to compare to yours there. What kind of laptimes you doing at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? I'm in the 1:55-57 range at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and getting great tire life. I usually do 6 practice sessions with 6 sprints and then 2-3 moderate trackdays on a set...and that is the soft front/soft rear set. Just used my first med front/med+ rear.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
slowblack05
please

Experience: 1-3 months

i dont really care for them all that much, one thing i know is that you need to run low pressure on them. well carlos told me that and he raced them all last season.
i prefer bridgestone, i was running mid 50s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and they work very well for me, dont last as long as the dunlops, but i feel like i get more feedback from them.

props to john at south central, he hooks me up!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
i dont really care for them all that much, one thing i know is that you need to run low pressure on them. well carlos told me that and he raced them all last season.
i prefer bridgestone, i was running mid 50s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and they work very well for me, dont last as long as the dunlops, but i feel like i get more feedback from them.

props to john at south central, he hooks me up!
Exactly. Not to mention the Dunlops cost a ton more than the Bridgestones do.

We switched from Dunlops to Bridgestones because we got the same performance from each tire, but the 'Stones cost ~$150/ set less. Longevity was negligible, it was about the same, sometimes the 'Stones lasted longer, sometimes the 'Flops lasted longer. Bridgestone definitely outlasted the Dunlops at Cresson, by a long shot. Comparing any tire to Pirelli regarding longevity is a no-win for the Pirelli, every major brand out there will out last Pirelli. They're a good 25 lap tire though.

Some old racer friends of mine used to say when asked which tire they prefer, "fresh, round, black, I don't care what the name is on the side." We're lucky right now with tire technology that there are so many choices for tires, none of which are really bad at all. It all comes down to whatever factors are important to the rider.

Good on ya Jon for your tire preservation
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
slowblack05
please

^^^very true, the pirelli is a great tire as well, but they wear very fast.
i still consider the dragon to be my favorite tire, but for the price/wear its rediculous to manage, unless you have like a full ride with them or something
ill stick with bridgestones for now
Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Exactly. Not to mention the Dunlops cost a ton more than the Bridgestones do.

We switched from Dunlops to Bridgestones because we got the same performance from each tire, but the 'Stones cost ~$150/ set less. Longevity was negligible, it was about the same, sometimes the 'Stones lasted longer, sometimes the 'Flops lasted longer. Bridgestone definitely outlasted the Dunlops at Cresson, by a long shot. Comparing any tire to Pirelli regarding longevity is a no-win for the Pirelli, every major brand out there will out last Pirelli. They're a good 25 lap tire though.

Some old racer friends of mine used to say when asked which tire they prefer, "fresh, round, black, I don't care what the name is on the side." We're lucky right now with tire technology that there are so many choices for tires, none of which are really bad at all. It all comes down to whatever factors are important to the rider.

Good on ya Jon for your tire preservation
If I were to stay in track riding/racing after this year I would have tried the Stones next season just on cost factor. While Dunlops are awsome tires, their cost has just about priced themselves out of the budget racers. Tire technology is starting to really level out amongst the brands so cost is going to be a big factor and it did change my mind for next year, that's if I were going to play again. Got other things to spend the money on instead of tires, fuel, parts, etc.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
Hey Jon, Are those new tires in the pics for Daytona?
Yes they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
I've been using 211's this year as well and also impressed. I've never been to MSRH so I don't have any laptimes to compare to yours there. What kind of laptimes you doing at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? I'm in the 1:55-57 range at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and getting great tire life. I usually do 6 practice sessions with 6 sprints and then 2-3 moderate trackdays on a set...and that is the soft front/soft rear set. Just used my first med front/med+ rear.
At MSRH im around 45-46, TWS (Texas World Speedway) 54-55 last time out. This is the Med/Med
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
^^^very true, the pirelli is a great tire as well, but they wear very fast.
i still consider the dragon to be my favorite tire, but for the price/wear its rediculous to manage, unless you have like a full ride with them or something
ill stick with bridgestones for now
Wait until you try the 003PROs. They speak for themselves.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
slowblack05
please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Wait until you try the 003PROs. They speak for themselves.

i can't wait, already told john thats the next tire im running for sure, had success with the 002rs for a long time, but he told me the new 003pro's run circles around them.
cant wait!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Im not trying to knock one tire or the other, just give an opinion and let everyone make thier own decision. I have a few reasons for making the switch.

, support the board sponsors. go see John at SCRC and try a set of the 003's I have not tried the 003 yet.

Last edited by Somebody1010; 09-29-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
racerboy4
NTSB

I cant put prices on the board because I havent finished my banner and paid for advertising yet, but our new 2009 Dunlop N-Tech Multi tires that I will have at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are priced about the same as everyone else. I listed the info on the CMRA board. Call me if you have any other questions.

Thanks
David Roy
racerboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement