MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Yammy Send a message via Yahoo to Yammy
Post Interesting ride last night

So I was out cruising around town last night with a buddy of mine and we were west-bound on memorial coming from 6-10, roads are still dark there because of all the street lights that are out, lots of trees and all of that. We pull up to a stop sign/light and my buddy in front of me takes off and starts moving at a pretty good clip; I'm trailing behind since the roads are dark and I'm not real familiar with riding those roads when suddenly a sheriff comes flying by on my left side and hits his siren right as he passes me - Nearly scared me off the bike, never saw him coming until he blasted those sirens right next to me.

So my buddy pulls over to the right of the road and the sheriff pulls in behind him, I wasn't sure what to do but figured I didn't want to take my chances with the sheriff and since he wasn't pulling me over, I figured I'd go to a gas station and wait to meet up with my buddy. Only problem is that my friend hasn't taken his MSF yet or gotten his class M so now I'm kinda freaking out cause I dont know if the cop is just going to give him a ticket for speeding and no license or take him in, tow the bike or what. I take memorial through briar forest and then turn at tanglewilde thinking I'll hit the Exxon at Gessner and Westheimer and as I'm riding down a street that goes between some apartment complexes my front tire hits some unforseen object in the road and it makes a pretty bad sound, I slow down check everything out and it looks ok so I turn around to see what it was to find out it was a freaking metal ladder rung just chillin in the road. I guess when I hit it it flipped up and hit my front wheel cover or something. Fortunatley no damage as far as I can tell. Anyhow, I get to the gas station and confirm no damage to the bike and start calling my friend who doesn't answer. I check tire pressure and put a few lbs in both tires when my friend calls and the lucky got off with nothing. The sheriff either didn't notice the little M missing on his license or just didn't care, and apparently didn't care about the flagrant speeding through an otherwise ritzy neighborhood. Lucky SOB.

And that was my interesting ride last night.

all is well that ends well
Yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting ride to work today. kbexperience General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-24-2014 10:51 AM
W Night ride fri night 06GIX1000 Events, Meets and Rides 17 03-23-2013 08:41 AM
An interesting way of teaching noobs how to ride cuong-nutz General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-14-2012 12:17 PM
..and the ride home just got interesting... Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-15-2007 12:02 AM
Woodlands meet and ride WED night 4/11/07..ride to H-town, PP1, ASI, 610lap...whatev! B-Dub Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-11-2007 04:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Sadly enough, lots of cops don't even know about the M endorsement. I've been pulled over before and gave the cop my license only to have him look at me and say "but do you have a MOTORCYCLE license?"
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

good deal
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

But of course, and I took the BRC at AwesomeCycles. My buddy is scheduled for his MSF but it got pushed back to october because of Ike.

At any rate, he got his bike way before his originally scheduled MSF date of 9/11 so he's been riding around illegally for a little while now. But I'll give it to him that for not having taken the course, he handles that gixxer quite nicely.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Sadly enough, lots of cops don't even know about the M endorsement. I've been pulled over before and gave the cop my license only to have him look at me and say "but do you have a MOTORCYCLE license?"
lol - tax dollars hard at work!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

you left your buddy
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

First of all, I would love to do Allen Pkwy at night (haven't even done it during the day!)
I've had a cop flash his lights when passing me up on the Beltway even though I was going the speed of all others around me. Actually, there were very few cars on the road but we were all doing the same speed. And that f*cker PASSED me up, no less. But I was doing about 75 mph.
I dont have an M-class (I know, I know). I had signed up with SBISD and was late to my first class, had my second class rescheduled also cause of Hurricane Ike. I was wondering how bad cops are about checking your license...
And the other day I was driving into the parking lot at work and hit what I thought was a stone and heard it hit the bottom of my bike. Almost ate my t. I parked and went back to look and it was a 1 1/2 size socket (as in tools, for a ratchet wrench!). That's a huge socket.
Glad to hear you're buddy didnt get thrown in the can and your bike is ok!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflys cbr View Post
you left your buddy
I figured it was probably in my best interests to wait up for him somewhere else. I was afraid if I pulled over where they went that the cop would try to give me a hard time and I'm not tryin to get any tickets already.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
First of all, I would love to do Allen Pkwy at night (haven't even done it during the day!)
Allen Pkwy is pretty cool as is most of memorial, there are some nice S-curves on memorial. You can go pretty fast on Allen Pkwy just watch out for the bad sections of road while you're cornering. Every 100 yards or so, there is a horizontal section/defect that goes through the road and I have a feeling if you're going fast enough around one of those corners and hit that bad section of road, it could be bad. Especially if you aren't expecting it. If they fixed those bad sections of the road, it would be a lot better.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Dude... you ran over a ladder?

U got mad skillz... Glad to hear your ok, the bike and your friend. Hopefully that put enough fear in him to get a license and maybe take a safety course. Ignorance and inexperience claims alot of lives.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammy View Post
Allen Pkwy is pretty cool as is most of memorial, there are some nice S-curves on memorial. You can go pretty fast on Allen Pkwy just watch out for the bad sections of road while you're cornering. Every 100 yards or so, there is a horizontal section/defect that goes through the road and I have a feeling if you're going fast enough around one of those corners and hit that bad section of road, it could be bad. Especially if you aren't expecting it. If they fixed those bad sections of the road, it would be a lot better.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Prob take it next fri/sat night. You guys out there frequently? I got a cruiser and I'm not much for racing speed, just like the twistys! Toss up a thread for some Memorial/Allen Pkwy riding, I'm down. But we gotta take that exit from 45 on to Allen Pkwy, that's a super twist...
Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post

U got mad skillz...
Haha.... thanks, I needed that laugh!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post

U got mad skillz... Glad to hear your ok, the bike and your friend. Hopefully that put enough fear in him to get a license and maybe take a safety course. Ignorance and inexperience claims alot of lives.
I'm not sure if I want to take credit for running over an entire ladder, thats either mad skillz, or someone that just doesn't pay attention.

This appeared to be just a single rung from a metal ladder (probably why I didn't see it against the concrete). There was a new condominium they just finished building a couple of months ago on the street I was riding, I figure it came off one of the ladders they were using at the construction site
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned