MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

I wear a helmet if Im riding down the feeder or freeway. If Im riding to Taco Bell 4 surburban blocks away, eh....I ride without it.

I bet half the people who b/tch about helmets dont wear seatbelts every single time theyre in a car.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #22
Tattoo
Your head isn't that hard

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
R1
Pit bike
Looking for?

I dont live in houston nor do I drive there often, but I do live near a university.SHSU. The amount of young drivers(cagers) is scary enough for me to wear gear. The 30 or so bikes I see every day maybe 5 have even a helmet on. It is very normal to see flip flops, wife beaters and backwards hats. Sad but true.

But the worst part is trying to talk to people about safety, wearing helmets, gloves, stay within your ability, its crazy how they act like i'm an because my realistic concern for safety. Which also makes it hard to find people to ride with. I watched a group of kids meet up at heb to go ride, i guess about 8 or so. Thought to my self it'd be cool to go ride w/ some people. I noticed most had helmets one had a jacket and 2 guys were on 1 bike (ghey) both were wearing tank tops(wife beaters)(really ghey). Id rather go out by my self.

I do not expect people to start wearing helmets, i'm not going to tell people to wear a helmet. The only reason for not wearing a helmet is you don't want to. Hopefully nothing bad happens. Maybe someday you will have your mind changed.

Ride Safe.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
I have no idea why the 15 bikes you see on the same route to/from home dont wear helmets.

But i wear my lid while riding/ execpt within my neighborhood.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #24
lil_red_rider
Track Photographer

Send a message via MSN to lil_red_rider Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
I dont live in houston nor do I drive there often, but I do live near a university.SHSU. The amount of young drivers(cagers) is scary enough for me to wear gear. The 30 or so bikes I see every day maybe 5 have even a helmet on. It is very normal to see flip flops, wife beaters and backwards hats. Sad but true.

But the worst part is trying to talk to people about safety, wearing helmets, gloves, stay within your ability, its crazy how they act like i'm an because my realistic concern for safety. Which also makes it hard to find people to ride with. I watched a group of kids meet up at heb to go ride, i guess about 8 or so. Thought to my self it'd be cool to go ride w/ some people. I noticed most had helmets one had a jacket and 2 guys were on 1 bike (ghey) both were wearing tank tops(wife beaters)(really ghey). Id rather go out by my self.

I do not expect people to start wearing helmets, i'm not going to tell people to wear a helmet. The only reason for not wearing a helmet is you don't want to. Hopefully nothing bad happens. Maybe someday you will have your mind changed.

Ride Safe.
I saw several riders up at SAM not wearing gear on several occassions.... I just shook my head and hoped they were not one of ours...students up there are stupid and wreckles drivers...you should be scared on your bike when there and wear your gear. Too many frats and sority drunks running around now... it was different way back when in the early 2000's
Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

the less people the better.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
K. Oliveira
Cypress' OG Fo Sho!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Raven Edition

Member Garage

Idk man, Its crazy though the amount of people with no gear. I mean I dont wear a jacket and stuff just my gloves helmet and pants but still! and yes the jacket will come on when its cold lol. I would just like to see my friends live a little longer.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

I think helmets look cool, sometimes I wear mine when I drive my truck it makes me feel cool.
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #28
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

yes i look good with my flowing locks whisping delicately through the wind, thank you very much.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #29
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

Its there choice to wear it or not just like its there life i just dont see why idiots have helmets on the tail of their bike but they dont wanna wear it kinda defeats the purpose
ALEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #30
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Well as usual I see several comments about "Its their choice....." Well of course its gonna be their choice but its becuase of idiots like that that motorcycles get a bad rap and our insurance rates are so flipping high. I will admit that if I am going down the road for like a block or 2 I will SOMETIMES not wear my lid but you never see me out on a real ride without the Helm, Jacket, and gloves at the least. Luckily though not a single piece of gear i have owned has really been needed but the point in wearing it is still there
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
^Agreed.

Its there to protect us, increase concentration, etc. I often forget to close the door of my car, release the handbrake and put the seat belt on. LOL JK

I have gone w/o helmet at slow speeds. And been on rides within a couple miles w/o a jacket. Nowadays its really not a preference to ride w/o jacket and helmet. Doesn't feel well anymore.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #32
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Quote:
I will admit that if I am going down the road for like a block or 2 I will SOMETIMES not wear my lid but you never see me out on a real ride without the Helm, Jacket, and gloves at the least. Luckily though not a single piece of gear i have owned has really been needed but the point in wearing it is still there

A ride 3 blocks down the road is still a ride. You can just as easily be pulled over, hit by a car, drop the bike and slide, etc.... down the street as a few miles down the street.

You either advocate wearing a helmet every time you sit on the seat, or not, but you certainly can't knock someone for not wearing a helmet when you don't wear one either...be it on a highway or a suburban road.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #33
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):

Member Garage

And I mean come on it doesnt just protect you from the fall. At any decent speed the smallest bug or pebble can really put a damper on the ride if you dont have the gear on
Old 09-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #34
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Again I think my point was lost................. I said I was doing wrong by not wearing one. And if I didnt say that thats what I was meaning. But i dont know many ppl out there who havent, at some point, gone down the block or wherever with out a lid on. It doesnt make it any more right that it happens seldom but it does happen. Of course this is all just my opinion and by no means does it make it the right one.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #35
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Hey, I rode today 4 blocks down to get some food without a helmet. But every time I ride the freeway I wear one. Is it right? Nah...but its the beauty of America?

But if someone wants to risk his or her life....thats their business. And if it raises insurance, that's America. We cant force people to do the right thing.

But if some of you safety nuts want to get about it ()....so you wear a helmet, but do you wear reflective clothing when needed, proper footwear, gloves and such? Could you be used as a poster child for safety EVERY time you ride? Do you do your proper pre-ride inspections, etc.?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #36
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Funny thing is, that's how alot of the more serious rides are conducted.

Maybe we need to distinguish between puttin' around and riding. The saturday rides leaders usually check out other's bikes and gear.

Putting around I sometimes drop the gloves but keep the boots, helmet, jacket. Reinstall the CE back support in the JR or if going to ride at night, I wear the alpinestar(reflective stripes) w a 3/4" block.

My usual gear for casual riding is leather jacket, gloves, helmet, boots and 7-piece back protector. No knee protection. Aggressive or long-trips I wear full leather/gear.

Nice thing about the newer jackets, they usually come w reflective strips. Every jacket an exgf/friend bought has had reflective material which obviously will be seen if they are on the back of my bike.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Oliveira View Post
Idk man, Its crazy though the amount of people with no gear. I mean I dont wear a jacket and stuff just my gloves helmet and pants but still! and yes the jacket will come on when its cold lol. I would just like to see my friends live a little longer.
LOL...the truth comes out. Per your quote, you only wear a helmet (the most important) and gloves when you ride. A jacket only "when it's cold".

, I wear more protective gear than you even if I decide to leave my jacket at home and I posted earlier feelin' kinda' guilty ridin' without my jacket the last few days... Although your thread DID motivate me wear my jacket today on my ride.

The "safety patrol" would call you out for not wearing a jacket, protective riding pants and riding boots.
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
CG636
Braaaaaap

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

I am curious what are the full laws regarding not wearing a helmet? I was informed age and a higher insurance coverage....
CG636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #39
SHORTY79
ride or die

my cousin a cpl yrs ago went up the road to the corner store and never came back home, she didnt wear a helmet to go up to the store. she was killed instantly in a head on with a suburban. she left behind 2 lil girls and was only 28.
SHORTY79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #40
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

to not wear a helmet. you need to have taken the msf and have the little sticker thingy and also health insurance(I think)oh and be over 21
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement