MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

handling speed bumps on access ramps?

I am just getting back into riding after a LONG absence (I consider myself a re-beginner) and I have yet to take these on a bike.

I wanted to get thoughts on handling those small speed bumps that Houston has on several of the access ramps. The ones I am referring to are the small white ones that stretch across almost the whole lane. For example on the north side the ramps from 610 to Hardy North and 610 to 59 South have them. I can't go over them at at 90 degree angle like they teach in MSF since they are in a curve. I don't really want to hit them at all but avoiding them would mean getting very close to the center stripe or the shoulder stripe.

Anyway thoughts would be appreciated.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low budget lowrider can't go over speed bumps CUZ Off Topic 4 05-17-2013 02:04 PM
traffic bumps!!! blends General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-29-2008 06:13 PM
Furry Speed Bumps Angamico General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-13-2008 01:17 PM
Invisible Speed BUMPS! 99BlackR1 Off Topic 13 03-12-2006 08:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Echo4Hotel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
I can't picture them, are you talking about the rumble strip things they put so it wakes cagers up from their half sleeping state to tell them that their is a curve ahead?
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4Hotel View Post
I can't picture them, are you talking about the rumble strip things they put so it wakes cagers up from their half sleeping state to tell them that their is a curve ahead?
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I have never seen a speed bump on a curve or an on ramp
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

jsut ride over them like normal, they pose no threat unless you are just going way to fast anyways.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

Why would there be speed bumps on access ramps??? I've never noticed any on the freeways/beltway in Fort Bend and SW Houston...
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4Hotel View Post
Yeah that is what I am talking about - the are about the size of large rumble strips. Normally I wouldn't see such things as a problem except these are actually in the curve. I presume to get peoples attention and slow them down.

Glad to know that they won't be an issue at speed but I will be very careful when I take them for the first time.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Echo4Hotel

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
Only problem I could potentially see with those is the white ones that appear to be a plastic material. If it has been raining they might be more slick than the cement. Also, this time of year in the weeee hours of the morning the dew starts to form and can make them a hazard due to being slick as well. I have never pulled over on the freeway to inspect them close enough to know the material though so I am not sure. I just assume any surface change is a potential grip hazard and try to adjust accordingly.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
GunManCrow

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
04- R6
01- YZF 426 Dirt Bike

I pass over two sets of those ever day going from 610 to I-45 south on the south side of town. Those are in a right hand turn. I do one of two things.

1.) I avoid them on the left side of the road putting my tire in between them and the white line. This means when I lean into the right turn I am not leaning out of my lane. This is my preferred method. If your ramp is a two lane ramp you might want to avoid them on the side farthest away from the other traffic. You donít want to be near a line when a cager comes a crossed.

2.) I run over them buy starting into the turn very early so I am on the very inside of the turn. Then I stand the bike up to the 90 degree like you were saying and go over the bumps. Once I am over the bumps I am normally near the outside of the lane. I then lean the bike back over and finish the turn. This method my not work if your turn is very sharp.
GunManCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
I know what your talking about and have never been affected by them. I just let the suspension do what its made to do.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Rumble Strips
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/0002/rm000201.htm

The white strip your talking about are before the turns begins...
As your black tire ride over the white strips you should still be up rite. These strip are just a "wake up" to slow down, wake up, or hang up your cell phone.

You shouldnt be leaning at the time you cross them. If you are you maybe turning to early.
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
Rumble Strips
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/0002/rm000201.htm

The white strip your talking about are before the turns begins...
As your black tire ride over the white strips you should still be up rite. These strip are just a "wake up" to slow down, wake up, or hang up your cell phone.

You shouldnt be leaning at the time you cross them. If you are you maybe turning to early.
These are not what I am talking about (which is why I started by calling them small speed bumps). These are small, white, extend almost across the whole lane and are placed in several places throughout the curve. I will try to shoot a picture today or Monday and post it (probably should have done that when I started the post - oh well).

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice!

Advertisement