MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

One tire... dang

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp.../?R=EPI-103091

Glad for Bridgestone because I happen to like that tire right now, but man, it certainly takes one of the variables out of the picture that makes motorcycling a bit less predictable.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Shack in Cypress-Beware Dang Dang Burger J.J. McQuade Off Topic 9 11-22-2013 11:36 AM
Dang it....... NOT AGAIN ForgottnSoul Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 15 03-04-2010 08:58 PM
Dang it! 8-ball General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-05-2008 08:32 PM
Dang.... TxVrod Off Topic 10 09-30-2006 09:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Hmmm

Spec racing next?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Who didn't see that coming?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp.../?R=EPI-103091

Glad for Bridgestone because I happen to like that tire right now, but man, it certainly takes one of the variables out of the picture that makes motorcycling a bit less predictable.
everyone was afraid of that when wsbk and supersport went to a spec tire, but as i'm sure you've seen, the racing is just as exciting as it ever was. only thing it eliminates are bitchy whiny riders explaining that they aren't winning more races because they're not on the tires that ____________'s on.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
everyone was afraid of that when wsbk and supersport went to a spec tire, but as i'm sure you've seen, the racing is just as exciting as it ever was. only thing it eliminates are bitchy whiny riders explaining that they aren't winning more races because they're not on the tires that ____________'s on.
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Who didn't see that coming?
Oh, I know, I just would still like to see things the way they used to be. Run whatcha brung, winner take all.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

spec racing would be badass for MotoGP! but then it sucks for all the different manufacturers.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
and the main whiner was Rossi LOL ok now..... alrova runs and hides........

But seriously this was coming
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
spec racing would be badass for MotoGP! but then it sucks for all the different manufacturers.
...and it kills advancement of technology.

example: Red Bull riders cup is good for making and finding new talented riders, but not for building a better bike. (My opinion at least)
Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i agree totally.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

time to buy stock in bridgestone? lol
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
...and it kills advancement of technology.

example: Red Bull riders cup is good for making and finding new talented riders, but not for building a better bike. (My opinion at least)
i disagree. there are still going to be advancements, and don't think that michelin is going to just close down their r&d department. in every series that has ever gone to a single tire manufacturer it has only sped up tire development, because the manufacturer is getting much more data than it was previously because they're now on all the bikes. each bike has different tire requirements, and each rider has different preferences. the manufacturer has to figure out a way to work with every rider, every team, and every bike. a HUGE undertaking, that ALWAYS results in a better tire.

now, will the technology that they use in motogp ever be applied to street tires? of course, but don't think that the manufacturers who aren't in motogp aren't going to be releasing tires with similar technology during the same timelines.

there are still many other ways they can do r&d, and many other racers to run their tires. if anything club level racing and the other smaller series give them more data, because those are the majority of the riders they are providing tires for. so they are better suited to design a better tire for the real world.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
i disagree. there are still going to be advancements, and don't think that michelin is going to just close down their r&d department. in every series that has ever gone to a single tire manufacturer it has only sped up tire development, because the manufacturer is getting much more data than it was previously because they're now on all the bikes. each bike has different tire requirements, and each rider has different preferences. the manufacturer has to figure out a way to work with every rider, every team, and every bike. a HUGE undertaking, that ALWAYS results in a better tire.

now, will the technology that they use in motogp ever be applied to street tires? of course, but don't think that the manufacturers who aren't in motogp aren't going to be releasing tires with similar technology during the same timelines.

there are still many other ways they can do r&d, and many other racers to run their tires. if anything club level racing and the other smaller series give them more data, because those are the majority of the riders they are providing tires for. so they are better suited to design a better tire for the real world.

Fair enough, but the area you quoted me on referred more towards 100% spec racing or something like the Red Bull Riders Cup than the actual single tire change in MotoGP.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

ah, gotcha, but spec racing will NEVER happen in motoGP. it's a manufacturer's series. the only way you can have spec racing is with single manufacturers. NEVER going to happen.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Agreed, just my smartass comment towards the whole matter of having a spec tire.

Motor size, spec tire, no matter what they change to try and limit factors they will just cause a push of the envelope in another direction. Similar to their corner speed issues with the 800cc bikes over the 990. Simple cause and effect. Just starting to make me think of nascar or something where the regulations appear to restrict such a great deal of new development.

lol, go back to 990cc and add restrictor plates to solve the speed issues on the straights and corners....
Old 09-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

screw that, bring back the to the wall, hold the **** on 500cc 2 strokes! lol
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I think having the same foundation to build upon will show us which manufacturers have the real skills.
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
Ridesmart

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

, only that these days run wacha bring is many times associated with how much $$$ you 'bring too'. I am sure this will be a controversial decision for a while, but I am also confident all those saying this tire or that tire is no good, will no longer have any excuse. Level field on tires - I am up for a season of that to see how it is....who knows - maybe we will see Colin Edwards podium from now on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Right.

Oh, I know, I just would still like to see things the way they used to be. Run whatcha brung, winner take all.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
rc51eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
time to buy stock in bridgestone? lol
50/50
make a little money on test tires or pay for the race tires.
seems like they use more tires for testing.
we got one of those trivia cards at Indy GP and it stated that each tean uses aprox 850 tires per season.....
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Actually Pedrosa and Edwards have been the biggest whiners this year. Heck Pedrosa b!tched so much he couldn't even finish the season with M. This WILL affect the technology trickeling down to the consumer. Also, now M is out of all major racing series.

NASCAR = Goodyear
WSBK = Pirelli
AMA = Dunlop
MotoGP = Bridgestone
F1 = Bridgestone

Kind of sucks to be French.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #20
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
That sucks, especially in a class where only the greatest can survive. So now everyone will suck at the tracks Bridgestone's don't work, and everyone will fly at the others. Get ready to see Rossi doniminate as long as he wishes to keep riding.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement