MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
Yeah I "IM" John about the pressures yesterday, he just hadn't got back with me yet so I asked here to. Just thought of the tire wear today. Thanks for the advice and help guys. It's good to hear the tires stick good even if the pressures are not perfect. I was afraid the pressures might be crucial to the tire sticking good. Of course they probably are for lasting longer as well as suspension setup. So sounds like at least 3 track days from the front and 2 for the rear. I guess I can live with that and try them out this weekend it might be to cold for the Nov. trackday anyway which would be the 4th one I have scheduled. Well after all this talk I'm for sure eager to try them out this Sat. I'm coming from Corsa III and stock suspension that was setup for me at the track with the Corsa III so I might need some more suspension adjustment a little with these tires since I'm going to a 190/55 rear.
Hey Tony you going to be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this Sat? You can check out your paint job on my bike finally. If not I'll be at Bucks next track day next month.
Thanks for the help.

I don't know the specs on the Corsa III's but you may need to get your rear ride height adjusted. Just from going from a 50 to 55 and then possibly a taller rear. Confirm that with people who know the truth though.

Going from 55 series 002's I had the rear dropped 3mm or so to make up for the 003 being 7mm larger in diameter. Not sure how temperamental the gixxers are to ride height though. Just another item to look into maybe to avoid any surprises.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BT-003 B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 08-10-2012 10:20 AM
Need a long lasting street tire SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 10-31-2011 10:27 AM
B'Stones Bt-003 initial impressions Derek Steptoe Taking it to the Track 26 06-10-2008 08:28 PM
Long Lasting Lights Htownz General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-21-2008 08:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I don't know the specs on the Corsa III's but you may need to get your rear ride height adjusted. Just from going from a 50 to 55 and then possibly a taller rear. Confirm that with people who know the truth though.

Going from 55 series 002's I had the rear dropped 3mm or so to make up for the 003 being 7mm larger in diameter. Not sure how temperamental the gixxers are to ride height though. Just another item to look into maybe to avoid any surprises.
John told me about that too. But wouldn't the bike turn in better with the rear being taller?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i run the bt003's. i got about 2 hard trackdays out of the rear, the front should last me at least 1 more, probably 2 more trackdays.

running 5-6 trackdays on a set MAY or MAY NOT be the best idea....as these tires have heat cycles. especially if you are on the hunt for faster times. the longer you use them, the more cautious you should be. when they start sliding around, do yourself a favor and change em out instead of making them last.

again, as stated, it all depends on your pace, riding style, and experience riding on worn tires. on a 1000cc bike....i wouldn't do more than 2 or 3 trackdays on a rear tire.
Ride them down to the cords! I am on a tight budget so i have to make my tires last. New rubber is for race weekend only for me. Ive run tires down to where they are bald on the side. It starts getting really sketchy and exciting, but during a track day im not in it for the track record. Ride within your own limits and you will be alright.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
John told me about that too. But wouldn't the bike turn in better with the rear being taller?
In theory yes, but I had just made adjustments to correct the bike from running wide on exit. Didn't want to add to that and have too much height in the rear and lose stability or make for any surprises or a more steep learning curve.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #25
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

yeah I was actually hoping for better turn in myself so I might like the extra rear height. I measured BT-003 to my corsa III and the front on the 003 will put me .15 lower in the front and .625 taller in the rear. So I may be talking it by on of the suspension guys to change it up for me for the $25 depending on how it feels to me out there.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
well this Sat. is TWS (Texas World Speedway) last time out there I ran 2:06 in traffic level 2 and turn 1 at the time was all jacked up since the just laid the Rino sealer down so I was real carfull and slow through there. I know that hurt my time. I'll be running level 4 this time since I was told twice to move up by the instructors my next time out. The other 3 track days will be between MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway). Last two times at MSRH I was running consistant 1:55 for almost ever lap and usually get held up in traffic in the curves messing my pace up so I assume I would be turning faster lap times in advance with less traffic. At least I hope I will. I never got passed in level 2 unless I slowed down for a yellow or red flag so after 2 track days like this I figured it is time to move up to the next level so I can get faster and not get held up. Of course I may hold up a few people in level 4 until I get faster. Anyway that's my time so far. Not to fast as some of you guys.
Both should last 3-4 (assuming med front, hard rear) at your pace. At least that's what I'm guessing based on my own experience (got 3 from both and I'm a bit quicker). A lot of variables though...proper pressure, track temp, suspension, etc.

I love the 003s. They do turn in better. I actually ran off the INSIDE during one of my first few laps! Great tires.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #27
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

OK I finally have INTERNET

I've answered all of the PM's and I appreciate everyone's patients.

The pressures everyone is listing are good. Hot off the track I like to see 32 front & 29-30 rear. This gives optimum grip. One can run the rear pressure up to 31-32 and get more life out of the tire, but there is a grip penalty to pay. Not a huge penalty, but there is a difference. Esspecially on the 1000's I would want all of the grip I could get.

bdubb - If your not experiencing the pressure growth from the warmers to the track it couldbe two things.
#1 - You have REALLY hot warmers. i.e. 185-195 deg F
#2 - Your pace isn't quite fast enough. In this instance I would still run the reccomended warmer pressures because at 175 deg F that is were the tire pressures should be. The tire will work at those pressures and temps; as you get faster the heat will build up and the pressures will rise. Then at the faster pace the tires will still be in the recommended range for those higher temps.

So in part the tires are just waiting for you...lol

I really prefer to set pressures on the warmers. It is much more accurate and it will in turn yield better tire performance. Setting cold pressures are just a reference point, it will be close. If you don't have warmers, it will get you in the ball park for your hot pressures. If you have warmers, set them on the warmers after approx 45 minutes. 30 front & 28-27 rear. Check them hot off the track to confirm everything is working fine. If your not seeing the pressure growth like bdubb then that just means you not building that much heat into them. They should be working fine, and I would not change anything (pressure wise) unless there are grip or feel issues.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #28
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

When I run hot front above 28, I lose feel and it wants to tuck. I usually do 27-28 front. Just a preference...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #29
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
When I run hot front above 28, I lose feel and it wants to tuck. I usually do 27-28 front. Just a preference...
Essentially My pressures are compiled from thousands of hours of testing by Bridgestone as well as a fair amount of testing I do with a few of my faster riders. The pressures are not set in stone, but they are what the faster guys run. That being said the faster you go, the more pressure you will need in that front tire(to a point). I'm glad to see that your able to feel what your bike needed and able to make the proper adjustments.

John
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #30
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I wonder how much my maxed out crappy stock suspension has to do with it...i'm going to run the pressures you suggest again this sunday just to see if with my now faster pace it feels better.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #31
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
I wonder how much my maxed out crappy stock suspension has to do with it...i'm going to run the pressures you suggest again this sunday just to see if with my now faster pace it feels better.
Thats fine, but with that said. Your crappy stock suspension might be some of the issue. If the lower pressures are working for you, then I would run them. The lower pressures your running will be fine, and as you get faster I will bet you will need to add more air to the front.

Certainly call me with any questions. I am always available on my cell (281) 703-0296
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #32
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Thanks for chiming in John. I am sure you had a lot of catching up to do on here. I think my issue is more towards my pace, or possibly riding style? Not an expert by any means but I assume each riders style also would play a role in building heat regardless of pace to a certain extent. Am I way off in thinking there? I just don't push on the front tire too much yet. All that, I am sure will change in time though. Maybe Sunday as I have a few spots in mind I am going to focus on at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and I think shave some time off in those areas.

If anyone has the proper equipment to see what my warmers are running at I'd be interested in knowing. Running the single temp Chicken Hawks which should be at 175 but wouldn't hurt to know for sure.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #33
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Asking for educational purposes, not to be a smart a$$....

but if running on the III's, and ur wanting to take a step up...why not run the 002 Ride Smart's? instead of the 002 or 003 pro? wouldnt u still get more grip then the III's and more track time life out of the Ride Smart's vs the pro???

again, curiosity and educational question....cuz im pretty new...
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #34
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Asking for educational purposes, not to be a smart a$$....

but if running on the III's, and ur wanting to take a step up...why not run the 002 Ride Smart's? instead of the 002 or 003 pro? wouldnt u still get more grip then the III's and more track time life out of the Ride Smart's vs the pro???

again, curiosity and educational question....cuz im pretty new...
Yes the BT002 Ride Smart will offer more grip than the DCIII(this a relative statement). It really comes down to wanting that little extra insurance. If you don't have warmers then obviously the BT002 Ride Smart are the choice to make. If you want the absolute best the BT003's are the way to go, but will need warmers to get the most out of them.

I guess to make a general statement. If your coming from a true street tire: BT014, BT016, Qualifier, DCIII or PP-2CT; the BT002 Ride Smart are a more track focused tire and can be a more affordable option for lots of riders. At some point though you will come to the point of needing more, and that is where the BT003 comes in. Your not going to outride the BT003.

John
Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #35
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

well thanks for all the tire pressure info John. This helps out alot and I know what I should be looking for know. Also for Amanda's question coming from the Corsa III I don't think it will be a big upgrade going to the BT-002RS. They may be alittle sticker, but from what I understand and read about them they are about the same type of tire as the Corsa III and my pace has picked up enough I wanted the added insurance of a stickier race tire. Like John said I want outride these. I'm sure with the extra confidence I hopefully find in these BT-003 tires my pace will increase some more. Well at least that's the plan. Anyway thanks all for the help.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #36
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

The Ride Smart's still get into the low 50's to 40's range at MSRH with some riders so it'd be hard to cut them short.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #37
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

well that's probably true, but so does the Corsa III that's why I say they are about the same as each other. They are both classified as a street/track tire and the Corsa III is actually said to be 70% track 30% street. Not sure about the BT-002rs, but hear great things about those tires to and I've wanted to get me some at one time, but was happy with the Corsa III at the time. I've also heard, but not confirmed that the side walls of the Corsa III is the same as the Diablo Pro's. Have not seen that published, but heard it several times so who really knows. Anyway like I said I'm not trying to take anything away from BT-002RS, but Corsa III are a great tire and I run in the mid 50's at MSRH with them and stock suspension and I'm slow. I think I could easily run low 50's with Corsa III if people would get out my way. Of course that's another reason I'm moving up a level to. Either way I can't wait to try out the Bt-003 this weekend.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

See you out there Sunday.

I'll be on the all white Honda with the zip-tie stitchwork.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #39
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Ahh man I"m going to be out there Sat. Wish I could make it a double header and be there Sunday to. It would be fun riding with the people on this board I end up talking to alot.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #40
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
The Ride Smart's still get into the low 50's to 40's range at MSRH with some riders so it'd be hard to cut them short.
Alonzo was running 43's with the Ride Smart on his GSXR600 with stock suspension.

Advertisement