MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Question BT-003 lasting & pressures

How many days have any of you guys/gals got out of BT-003 or BT-002 Proís on your 1000? Iím asking because I got some BT-003 from John to put on and I have 4 track days I plan on going to for the rest of the year. Now I still have tread on my Corsa III that are currently on my bike that are still good for the track (only 2 track days on them), but wanted to switch to the BT-003 since I'm moving up to level 4 and save the Corsa III for street riding in the winter months when the tracks are closed since I still have insurance on my bike. But I can run the Corsa III one more time if you guys don't think the BT-003 will last 4 track days or at least 3 of them.
Also what pressures do you run? Last I heard from John was cold: 28 front 25 rear and hot: 31-32 front 30-31 rear. Is this still the same?
Thanks.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BT-003 B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 08-10-2012 10:20 AM
Need a long lasting street tire SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 10-31-2011 10:27 AM
B'Stones Bt-003 initial impressions Derek Steptoe Taking it to the Track 26 06-10-2008 08:28 PM
Long Lasting Lights Htownz General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-21-2008 08:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Your pressures are correct(according to John). The wear all depends on you. Some would shred those in one good track day others would get 5 days out of them again it all depends on your speed, throttle habits, weights, tracks, temps, etc....

I've been running the front (003 and 002 rear) and man that thing is STICKY
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

hey I was thinking that to. I find since I've picked up my speed more my rear tire after 1 track day looks as if I road 2 track days on it. So do you find your front wears evenly with the rear or does it last through 2 rears?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
My bt-003 pro's look pretty shaggy after 2 track days. They still felt pretty good though, soo I figure I got at least another day in them, but hopefully more.
In my experience the bridgestones will let you know when they are starting to turn off, soo you'll have a little warning.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

well thats good to know. I like the warnings.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Where will you be running for the 4 days and what are your times? I think that will have a lot to do with how long they last you...
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

well this Sat. is TWS (Texas World Speedway) last time out there I ran 2:06 in traffic level 2 and turn 1 at the time was all jacked up since the just laid the Rino sealer down so I was real carfull and slow through there. I know that hurt my time. I'll be running level 4 this time since I was told twice to move up by the instructors my next time out. The other 3 track days will be between MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway). Last two times at MSRH I was running consistant 1:55 for almost ever lap and usually get held up in traffic in the curves messing my pace up so I assume I would be turning faster lap times in advance with less traffic. At least I hope I will. I never got passed in level 2 unless I slowed down for a yellow or red flag so after 2 track days like this I figured it is time to move up to the next level so I can get faster and not get held up. Of course I may hold up a few people in level 4 until I get faster. Anyway that's my time so far. Not to fast as some of you guys.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I have 1 day at MSRH and 1 day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and my rear BT-003 looks like it might have a single day at TWS (Texas World Speedway) left in it. Running soft front, medium rear.

The front looks fine but last time out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the rear took a beating compared to what I was used to at MSRH. I'd like to think that as I improve my tire wear will get worse but hopefully the suspension can be worked out enough to improve the wear.

The tire pressures you mentioned are the same I had from John as well, but I personally had problems getting heat into the tires while I was out on the track. Believe I was told by John to go out with 30 front, 28 rear after being on the warmers for 45 min. or more. I had to adjust that around some to get better pressures as I came in off the track. Just not fast enough I guess.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
well this Sat. is TWS (Texas World Speedway) last time out there I ran 2:06 in traffic level 2 and turn 1 at the time was all jacked up since the just laid the Rino sealer down so I was real carfull and slow through there. I know that hurt my time. I'll be running level 4 this time since I was told twice to move up by the instructors my next time out. The other 3 track days will be between MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway). Last two times at MSRH I was running consistant 1:55 for almost ever lap and usually get held up in traffic in the curves messing my pace up so I assume I would be turning faster lap times in advance with less traffic. At least I hope I will. I never got passed in level 2 unless I slowed down for a yellow or red flag so after 2 track days like this I figured it is time to move up to the next level so I can get faster and not get held up. Of course I may hold up a few people in level 4 until I get faster. Anyway that's my time so far. Not to fast as some of you guys.

Just for reference. I am around 2:04 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 1:51-2 or so at MSRH last time I had a timer on there and had issues building heat in the BT-003's. I came in with lower pressures than I went out with using the warmers. Just food for thought incase you see the same issue.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Just for reference. I am around 2:04 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 1:51-2 or so at MSRH last time I had a timer on there and had issues building heat in the BT-003's. I came in with lower pressures than I went out with using the warmers. Just food for thought incase you see the same issue.
Those are pretty decent times for both tracks I wonder why you are having trouble building heat in the tires. How much do you weight and what size bike?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Well that's good to know. But did the tires still stick good even though you pressures were not right? We run pretty close in times then so I'll keep a look out at my pressures every time I get off the track making sure I'm setup ok. May just do 2 hot laps and then come in real quick to check them for the 1st session.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I run hard tires (well, medium front, hard rear) so I can get more life out of them. You do have to run a good pace to keep heat in them, but sounds like your lap times are pretty decent for that.

I get about 3-4 track days out of the Bridgestones- the 003's seem to wear even better than the 002's do. Cresson, which is notorious for tire wear, didn't really seem to phase these tires at all.

The consistent thing about the Bridgestones is that they are sticky from the time you mount them until they're completely worn. I have run the 002's well past the wear indicators, and they still have great edge grip and are predictable.

Unlike the Pirelli, which when they get worn, get flat out scary and unpredictable.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
The consistent thing about the Bridgestones is that they are sticky from the time you mount them until they're completely worn. I have run the 002's well past the wear indicators, and they still have great edge grip and are predictable.

:ewrd: look at gabe's tires he runs way way way past the indicators and says he can get another track day out of them EASY...crazy
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
:ewrd: look at gabe's tires he runs way way way past the indicators and says he can get another track day out of them EASY...crazy
NOBODY should take Gabe's word on what is "too worn" or not! That dude can ride with cords showing and still whip my azz!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

To the questions above:

Bill - I am in the 230lbs range and riding an 06 CBR1000.

Gixxerman - I felt very comfortable on the tires at all times. Even before I made adjustments to get the tires in a better area and the pressures were too low I felt good on them. As a new rider still learning I feel they may stick too much in regards to hiding flaws in my inputs that another tire may push a little on or show a sign that I need to fix something.

I do prefer not to slide my across the pavement and repair my bike though. I am looking forward to getting in several more days on the 003's in the near future and can give a better opinion on them, but so far I have no complaints at all. Just need to address my off the track pressures which I think will work itself out in due time as I improve.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
To the questions above:

Well we are around the same weight and the same bike power well maybe I have alot more power being on a gixxer and all. .

I just ordered the bt003 I will let you know the temps I get when I get off the track.

How was traction any problems? Maybe they don't need that much heat to stick.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i run the bt003's. i got about 2 hard trackdays out of the rear, the front should last me at least 1 more, probably 2 more trackdays.

running 5-6 trackdays on a set MAY or MAY NOT be the best idea....as these tires have heat cycles. especially if you are on the hunt for faster times. the longer you use them, the more cautious you should be. when they start sliding around, do yourself a favor and change em out instead of making them last.

again, as stated, it all depends on your pace, riding style, and experience riding on worn tires. on a 1000cc bike....i wouldn't do more than 2 or 3 trackdays on a rear tire.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
To the questions above:

Gixxerman - I felt very comfortable on the tires at all times. Even before I made adjustments to get the tires in a better area and the pressures were too low I felt good on them. As a new rider still learning I feel they may stick too much in regards to hiding flaws in my inputs that another tire may push a little on or show a sign that I need to fix something.

I do prefer not to slide my across the pavement and repair my bike though. I am looking forward to getting in several more days on the 003's in the near future and can give a better opinion on them, but so far I have no complaints at all. Just need to address my off the track pressures which I think will work itself out in due time as I improve.
Man, you really need to be getting with John of SCRC for this information. He's collected more data from the slowest track day riders to the fastest CMRA racers regarding Bridgestones. He's the end-all be-all for advice on the 002 and 003
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #19
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Yeah I "IM" John about the pressures yesterday, he just hadn't got back with me yet so I asked here to. Just thought of the tire wear today. Thanks for the advice and help guys. It's good to hear the tires stick good even if the pressures are not perfect. I was afraid the pressures might be crucial to the tire sticking good. Of course they probably are for lasting longer as well as suspension setup. So sounds like at least 3 track days from the front and 2 for the rear. I guess I can live with that and try them out this weekend it might be to cold for the Nov. trackday anyway which would be the 4th one I have scheduled. Well after all this talk I'm for sure eager to try them out this Sat. I'm coming from Corsa III and stock suspension that was setup for me at the track with the Corsa III so I might need some more suspension adjustment a little with these tires since I'm going to a 190/55 rear.
Hey Tony you going to be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this Sat? You can check out your paint job on my bike finally. If not I'll be at Bucks next track day next month.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #20
bdubb

Bike(s):
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Man, you really need to be getting with John of SCRC for this information. He's collected more data from the slowest track day riders to the fastest CMRA racers regarding Bridgestones. He's the end-all be-all for advice on the 002 and 003
Agreed, and I did just that. I called him when I was out at MSRH and made some adjustments as it was somewhat expected at MSRH due to the track surface.

Then again at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I spoke with John about it some and even chased each other around the track some at the end of the day without a change really. The tires felt very planted at all times for me but me and the pressures need some work. I even checked the guage and compared with others.

I am going to get a new rear tonight and will see if I can figure it out more over the next few track days along with speaking to John about it. It doesn't sound to be a typical issue with other riders, but then again a majority of the riders using the 003's I think are much faster than I am.

Advertisement